Clan Wars - 4v4 clan league

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well some team games would be fine- it's all practice and it's good for us as well. Playing team games against a group of randoms isn't normally that challenging as even if the individual players are pro's, if they don't know each other and so aren't co-ordinated in what they're doing. Makes it far to easy to gang up on them one a time.
  2. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

We played 2v1 against mot the other day, and we did win, but we thought we got lucky. Then yesterday we played 2v2 with him taking a random in his team, on our home system no less, and he beat us pretty much by himself. I think we would struggle to beat PAG in a 2v4 game...
  3. cdrkf

Yeah it does depend on who you get. The more players though, the less impact *1 player* can have. I actually think Promethean could take a game against PAG in a 4 v 4 (espetially on our home system) *if* we work well together and have a proper plan. 4 v 4 is much less predictable than 1 v 1 games.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. icycalm

The thing I don't understand about this league is The Realm's desire to let all their players fight, even the less experienced ones. Wouldn't that jeopardize their chances of winning the whole thing? And if letting everyone in their clan play is more important than winning, how are they being "competitive" then? Isn't that more of a casual attitude?

Half of our players bought the game last week and haven't even fired it up yet (that's why they are not on PA Stats), but there's no way I am letting them play if they don't put in the hours to get to our best players' level in the next couple of months.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

We're just keeping our options open :) what's there to gain by leaving members off the roster?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. icycalm

7. cdrkf

In fairness in Promethean we have decided on a policy of having 2 main teams (one for home defence, another for 'away games') and we're also going to try and make sure that any player who really wants to be in a game gets a shot in at least one of the fixtures. I think there is a balance between being competitive and having fun- and sitting on the bench because your not one of 'the' players isn't fun.

I agree with you icy that it's expected that anyone who really wants to play should be playing the game regularly enough to not be a total liability though (I'm probably borderline haha) :p
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That's cool! I really like seeing how each team is coming up with different plans for how to play the league. I think these differences will help give fans a reason to show up in the stream and support a team
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. icycalm

I hope you retain that attitude when you see our home system. I really hope you guys don't reject it, because it's our only chance of putting up a decent fight.
  10. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

As far as Im aware its more a policy to let people register their desire to participate, it's not a guarantee they will get to play. For my own part I rarely get to play with the clan, the other half gets annoyed enough when I get absorbed in a game, so being on teamspeak is reserved for when she’s out and the microphone actually bothers to work. I registered to show my willingness to participate in clan stuff rather than from any expectation to play, and to demonstrate to the organisers that there is a desire for tournaments outside of the usual suspects we see in the 1v1s – they put a lot of effort in to the site and arrangements so figured I could at least register. (Also if im not willing to join a clan-war whats the point of joining the clan). If only those who were absolutely definitely going to play registered the numbers would be halved at least and the depth of the playerbase could be questionable. I presume Realm wants to win so don’t worry they will submit the best team available on the day, and they are running practice sessions.

others on the registrants may well have a similar outlook...
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. icycalm

fluffy you should leave The Realm and join us :) There's still time. I can guarantee you'll play. (You'll even be our star player.)
  12. cwarner7264

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Really it's down to Custard how we run this, because he's our PA man. Part of this is trying to get some of our lesser-seen players involved :) I was really pleased to see how teams were fielded in the 'warm up' against CULT on Saturday.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Sign ups have now closed, thanks to the 116 players spread over 7 clans who have joined us for season one.

I look forward to seeing the systems you guys have prepared, but remember that it needs to be in by the 11th (my 11th) September to be accepted. So aim for the 10th.
    Bsport and cdrkf like this.
  14. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Can you reject a system? Seems a bit lame to do that to be honest :p
  15. icycalm

They said that they reserve that option, and of course that's reasonable. What if you gave them a system that no machine (or the server) can handle?

Where it starts getting tricky is where you might give them a system that they think will lead to boring games that people wouldn't like to watch. I am Greek, and Greece won the 2004 European football cup by playing a very defensive game that people criticized as boring. But they were vastly outranked in terms of skill by their opponents, so they made the only play they could make. And hey, it worked. So considering that we'll have 7 systems, and that only a small fraction of the fights will be waged on ours, I think Exodus should think hard about rejecting our system when they see it.
  16. cdrkf

They're all quite reasonable, and the rules don't specifiy much about systems (as far as I'm aware you could opt for com-boxing if you so wished) so I doubt they will reject it...

I mean from what you've said I'm guessing you're going for a small single planet with lots of choke points that would suit a defensive play style?
  17. icycalm

Not exactly, we are going pretty much with the same system we used against The Realm on Saturday, only a bit smaller planet. 1050 radius (so maybe 900 this time), single-planet, and with 100% metal on both sliders. So that makes metal work more or less like energy, which negates some of the disadvantages of spawning together (see the megabase thread).

In this game we killed one of their commanders, destroyed a few of their buildings, threw a nuke at them (which was however shot down), and managed to draw the game out to close to an hour. In every other match and system we played we were stomped in 15 minutes. If they get us 1 on 1 we are helpless, and that's what happens with multi-planet systems or when we spawn apart. But on our home system I think we might have a chance to win a game or two later in the season, after we've been practicing on it for a few months.

If nothing else, it will give viewers the chance to see a completely different strategy than what everyone else at the top levels of play uses.
    cptconundrum and cdrkf like this.
  18. cwarner7264

To be fair, it only made it to about 25 minutes on the in-game clock - the massive amounts of everything brought the sim to a crawl :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. cdrkf

I don't see a reason for that to be banned so you should be fine imo.
  20. icycalm

lol, you didn't have to bring that up man. Give the noobs a break.
    cwarner7264 likes this.