PA Steam Reviews

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sierra159, September 7, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Said without any access to sales figures.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Oh? Challenge accepted:

Gyle- The game is now out but its still buggy as hell. I admit it was always going to be tough to live up to the hype surrounding the kickstarter campaign but im sorry, this game just doesnt deliver. Perhaps it was just a little too ambitious.

I- Fair enough. Not entirely descriptive, but it had a lot of hype, didn't fully achieve, there are some bugs. I don't personally see a lot. I hear about a few.

Vestigo- They left something out; it's actually "Planetary Annihilation, OfficialAlphaRelease". Don't buy. Unfinished, broken heap of steamy ♥♥♥♥.

I-
    Wow, this is descriptive, too bad it doesn't tell you any details about the game. Also, this guy must be a wise old man because this shows maturity.

XenoAlbedo- I'm just going to say this right off the bat: The core game is fun.

Now comes the problems. The game releases on the 5th, 1 day after this review was written, and the game is unoptimized garbage. Now it's not that it's unoptimized for our computers. I mean my laptop runs this at 60fps maxed out and my desktop at 144fps, but the servers are by far some of the worst I have ever seen. The entire game is essentially streamed to you since you cannot host a client-side match no matter what you do. Even singleplayer games are server-side, and the servers suck. Even if you only have two planets (and where's the fun in that?) you will constantly slow down, freeze, disconnect, and crash to the point that the game is entirely unplayable. Furthermore, the unit variety is absurdly low compared to its spiritual predecessors and the Galactic War mode is absolutely horrendous. The fact that they're releasing the game in the unfinished, broken state it's in now puts these devs in my top 10 least favorite developers and they don't deserve a single damn dime from your wallet.

Now if they ever fix these server issues or add client-side hosting, would I recommend this game? Absolutely! It's fun when it's not frozen for 30 minutes straight!

I- Oh, this guy was so sure the game would be terrible judging by the day-before build. The devs went through 8 builds in the last 2-3 days? The release build ran what seemed like twice as fast and fixed the biggest bugs the game had, the linux one and an antinuke launcher not working in GW, Seriously, everyone here quote this paragraph if you back me on the massive improvement just over the final day.

TheNegativeZone- Unoptimized and effectively streamed over the internet. Nope.

I- By definition, technically a LIE. It is simulated on your own machine. Just saying. It isn't farmville. Also, a negative review? Was it not obvious that the game was serverside when he bought it on Sept. 1st? For that matter, half these negatives are "online only". Where the **** is Starcraft's negative reviews? And missing features and bugs? Where the **** is GTAOnline's negative reviews? LITERALLY, Starcraft is online only, and GTAOnline was unplayable the first month and if you played you restarted with a wiped character each and every time.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

upload_2014-9-7_13-54-25.png
  4. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'm working on a VERY comprehensive review ATM. I'll post it when it's done, I'd appreciate it if y'all'd like it.
    christer1966 and allister like this.
  6. sierra159

sierra159 Member

Well, I just got back from playing a fun but laggy match of PA. I'm surprised this thread has gotten this much commentary. I'm going to be writing a good review soon, so I'll see about posting here for checking first.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hehe, this forum is very active and we've got our main active guys. Stay for a week and you'd know everyone. :p
    cdrkf, drz1 and sierra159 like this.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Plenty of people complained about GTA-Online I assure you. But GTA had ludicrous numbers across the board, it was a BIG game. Biggest game budget ever and they made it back in HOURS. with that kind of demand I don't think it's reasonable to be surprised the servers exploded.
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

There's nothing that can really be done. Some people will get informed others will just blindly trust the first review they lay their eyes on, such is the natural way of video game reviews.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The servers were clogged for a weekend.

Play singleplayer. No harm no foul.

The game itself, dumped online saves, for a month. Any earned thing would need restarting. I was smart and knew things that avoided it, but I was lucky the power never went out because one chance disconnect while loading up from getgo or misclick to start if the game didn't connect to cloud, results in go earn everything all over again.
  11. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Just letting you guys know that I will try to help out as much as I can, as I do not want to see this awesome game suffer due to the stupidity of a few individuals who insist on portraying this game in a negative light. It does have some down sides which should be addressed, but it does not deserve all the hate its getting at the moment.

Unfortunately I will be avoid the steam forums like the plague, due to what should be obvious reasons. But I will attempt to answer questions or address concerns on Facebook. When I have the time (in about a week) I will also write an in-depth and honest review of the game. The game is not perfect, but it is FAR from a bad game.
    Remy561, pizwitch, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

This is the only game that got me interested in developing games myself.

This game is a role model for other rts's, but the only thing holding it back is lag, and imho a rushed release like bf4.
    Remy561 likes this.
  13. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Indeed, I believe that 1.0 was too rushed as well, and in the end it was ultimately to the detriment of the game. I am disappointed that offline was not included in 1.0, and no 1.0 is not just a number.

Don't want to go offtopic in this thread though. We don't need to provide a reason for this thread to be locked.
  14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

15. doud

doud Well-Known Member

When i read many times "Unoptimized", this is just driving me crazy.
    These *** holes have clearly no idea about the complexity of coding such a game.
    They don't even have the slightest idea about the amount of work which have been put into this engine built from scratch.
    Being a true and skilled code today is really not a rewarding job.
  16. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm afraid that is just a life lesson.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Steam...nothing but Whiney bitches on there I say. They bitch and complain, and give games bad ratings without doing their homework...

Probably just a bunch of 8 year olds on there anyways. lolz
  18. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

There are hundreds of positive reviews on steam, and a handful of recent negative reviews all about offline. The solution us pretty straightforward; go leave a positive review.
    drz1 likes this.
  19. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

When you release something to the consumer, you can't cover bad performance by saying "but it was hard to do!".

A lot of project never see the light of day while they are finished, just because they aren't "ready". ie. Dyson recently annonced that they ditched a robot-vacuum cleaner, and went back to the drawing board.

Long story short, the game is not really good performance-wise (you can't really deny that), and people don't care why.
    And more importantly, they are right to not care.
    It's Uber decision to release it in that state. Doesn't matter how hard it is and how fast they went to that state. They are still in the middle of the track, not at the finish line.

For exemple, Uber is STILL saying on their FAQ that the game is DRM free. I've told them that it's a lie and they should at least remove it, or it will turn into a shitstorm rapidely. Guess what is happening now...

These negative reviews are totally legit, and they were warn about it several times.
    TheLambaster, corruptai and muhatib like this.
  20. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Sure I can. Have played dozens of games in the past months and the vast majority ran perfectly smooth with no problems. Denied.