Twitch/Internet culture treats women badly.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thetrophysystem, September 5, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That's not what I'm saying at all. It was a general statement completely disconnected from your conversation.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

And reality.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

All I'm saying is the terms "racist" and "sexist" are frequently misused.
    squishypon3 and tehtrekd like this.
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I watched the video but missed the stream and chat, and could tell where the comments you're talking about were made by the reaction of one of the couch people (yes too lazy to figure out who, Varrak maybe as he was sitting in that spot at some point). It's par for the course for people to say abusive things, and unstoppable as a whole. The best you can do is block someone, or give them a timeout. A mod on the chat would be ideal, but borderline things (as judged by me) should remain until they actually step over the line. It just so happens that women tend to get more abuse than the average streamer (imo). I think largely it's because the sexual element makes it more of a thrill to abuse them, than it is to call some guy fat. I'm saying common sense things because they are common sense, apologies for re-iterating them.

Fact of life: You need to have a relatively thick skin to stream regardless of your gender.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Yeah, it was pretty damn stupid. Can't really expect better from the people of the internet, though.

The internet is a lot like a wasp. Everyone says that "if you leave it alone it won't bug you" but it's never true.
    Last edited: September 6, 2014
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I feel like this is relevant to some twitch specific event that I wasn't paying attention to.
    There's SO much sh*t stuff going on over the internet lately though that I'm just zoning it out, because I can't deal with crap anymore. And as a fairly open trans-woman I get **** from -everywhere-. Including Tumblr, because I'm apparently a "truscum" who doesn't conform to snowflake genders. The internet is just a big angry echo-chamber where anyone will get insulted for anything unless they're in the majority on that particular site / community, so it pays to just stop bothering with it all.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

That's not what he said at all. But feel free to showcase your own aggression in face of people you're frightened might be disagreeing with you.

The Internet has far too much hate and manipulative behaviour in it. Don't alienate people that are actually saying the sensible things.

In other words, the #GamerGate thing (along with #NotYourShield) was conclusively proven as a 4chan (specific parts thereof) organised deception, the leaked IRC chatlogs are now out and about on the web. The ex-bf of the now maligned Zoe Quinn was involved in feeding them information to start the whole affair off.

Fun times, Internet.
    Geers likes this.
  8. arseface

arseface Post Master General

But if they aren't in the majority isn't that a reason to alienate them?

Sensibility is dangerous and evil, it doesn't belong on the internet.
  9. Quitch

:rolleyes:
  10. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Or maybe they're just 13-year-olds typing whatever comes to their mind in the chat...
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Well, it's not. And so far you haven't exactly provided convincing counterarguments :)
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

A 20 year old classmate of mine was a troll. He said he liked tot enter some forum, make a comment on how something sucked (e.g COD on a COD forum) and watch people go apeshit about it.

If a comment seems weird in context, its either a kid or a troll
  13. Quitch

You realise that this changes nothing, right? A 13 year-old who first thinks of something sexist is still thinking of something sexist.

I wish. Unfortunately a huge number of people think this kind of thing is perfectly acceptable, as shown in chat by people excusing it as "silliness" or even the "trolling" justification. It's completely unacceptable behaviour which should be stamped out.
  14. poiuasd

Any mature person would just completely ignore such comments.
  15. Quitch

Now replace sexist with racist.
  16. poiuasd

Why would you care about anything an obvious troll or a child is saying no matter the topic?
  17. Quitch

Because it's offensive, hurtful and generally toxic. When you have a developer who feels the need to encourage one of his co-workers not to read the chat, and you feel the need to ask that question... I think we all know the "sticks and stones" mantra is a load of bollocks.
    mkrater and stuart98 like this.
  18. arseface

arseface Post Master General

It's not. While gut reactions certainly exist, they can also certainly be crushed a vast majority of the time. Nobody can effect you emotionally for any extended period without you letting them.

Dismissing people because they are trolls is how you get trolls to go away. Giving a troll attention and calling them scum lords is like giving candy to a child so they won't bite you again.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh, I'm not alone? :p
  20. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this fear of not being poltically correct is more damaging than I thought.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogersc...ing-rotherham-children-political-correctness/