Real talk.Was the premature release a good idea ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ragarnoy, September 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

So hey,i i backed this game since day one, enjoyed seeing grow and thinking "Thank god this was crowdfunded we don't have to worry about publishers rushing the game out of the door" and I was quite surprised because this is exactly what's happening.
    The game is not only unfinished, but bugged, and some of my friends who bought the game cannot even play it because of the crashes. This will have Huge repercussions, if the game gets bad press because You (Uber) released an unfinished game and that We wont even get to play it since it will be deserted and abandonned just to be picked up again someday by you or modders.

And i remember playing two days ago when the game was Unplayable thinking "This game is not ready for release", or yesterday when we could play but with an awful amount of lag thinking "This is Still not ready for release". Star Citizen (Now if you don't like this example just discard it) doesn't seem to give a damn about people complaining for quicker releases and keeps delaying everything, but the results are Way better, we actually get a game that's playable.

The steam forums of the game are getting annihilated because people are upset, and rightfully, you had no right to sell the game in this state. We funded it, expecting to see it succeed, but by releasing it prematurely you will sabotage its chances of becoming important in the gaming community.

I don't know about you guys but i'm kind of pissed, the game is really good but badly optimized, pretty but buggy, flashy but unbalanced.
  2. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

and star citizen... Just wanna say 1 thing.. There is a HUGE diffrence in a couple of million dollars... and 50+ million dollars.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Who the **** cares. Has literally anything changed now that the game is 'launched'? Have the devs pulled up their wagons and stopped updating? The game is good, and it is always getting better. AAA titles with budgets in the hundreds of millions release in worse states. As far as we know Uber hasn't declared bankruptcy and stopped supporting the game. The coming weeks will continue to see the same pace of updates as we have seen so far. If you haven't gotten any enjoyment out of the game yet, it's probably not ever going to be for you. The Steam reviews thus far are overwhelmingly positive and i'm sure we'll see plenty of positive reviews in the coming week.
    Remy561, nhac, shootall and 3 others like this.
  4. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

I know, i specified that if you don't like it, discard it.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Its all about two things:

Spray and pray balamce (it sucks)
    And overburdened servers.
  6. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

Overburdened because badly optimised or because of the amound of people ? Because 2 days ago when the game wasn't released we had Huge issues.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The balance is alright, mostly.
    Remy561 and philoscience like this.
  8. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The devs will be updating more and more as it goes on.
    To the devs, release is just another development stage. Not sure I can agree completely with that design philosophy but hey if it works for them it works for them.
  9. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I think "release" is just a new term. Like "Gamma."
  10. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

Except that term will allow people to rate the game claiming it's finished.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

As long as the dev team works on the title it is not really finished.
    Remy561, FSN1977 and Quitch like this.
  12. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

People are still having problems with the performance or the newest release build? I don't seem to have server slowdowns until about 6000/7000 units or so.
    Remy561 likes this.
  13. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

PA has always gotten ratings by people calling it a finished game. The truth is, the game won't be finished until Uber stops supporting it, and release is just a milestone along the way (and, I suspect, a way to end the constant "Will we have this in release?" begging).
  14. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the game was awesome and is still awesome. The only thing the release did was:
    1. Give the Dev team a nice break after crunch. It would suck if they where always in crunch
    2. Give Forrest a chance to look classy as **** drinking scotch in a fancy shirt.
    3. Remind me to play the game again after school
    Last edited: September 6, 2014
    drz1 likes this.
  15. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Also there are lot of people saying "they'll abandon it just like SMNC", but do you really think Uber is that stupid?
    drz1 likes this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i ask just only one question:
    has the game enough and diverse content to play and finish a match propperly?

imo it does ... the other stuff is just extra ... i dont care bout balance to come toghether as fast as possible thats an issue for the hardcoregamers ...

so what only matters now is that offline comes asap ... everything else like more flexible transportation can come later ..
    Last edited: September 6, 2014
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yes, because you don't need that diverse a content to finish a single match.
  18. classic1977

classic1977 Member

Steam forums and reddit are both full of disappointed buyers. It was a huge mistake. This forum is positive cause its all fanboys here.
    moreez likes this.
  19. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think it'll all be okay. Lots of gamers, including myself, are actually quite fickle. I have several friends who basically boycotted Battlefield 4 because of the launch multiplayer problems, but they are almost all back on it now. I know this isn't a comparable situation, but I imagine that, once the game settles in, and offline is there, and saves are there, and new features start to get implemented, people will calm down and probably end up buying the game. Certainly, once everything is in that Uber wants there, the game should be truly awesome.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Steam forums for a title are usually filled with people complaining, and the subreddit is essentially the support forum for people who cannot be bothered to make an Ubernet account.
    Quitch, pizwitch, drz1 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.