Clan Challenges (Challenge #1, Sep 6, 18:00 UTC, The Cult vs The Realm)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, September 1, 2014.

1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

To celebrate the game's imminent release, and also to promote clan creation and clan play (which I believe is the best way to enjoy PA), I'd like to try instituting a new tradition which I will call Clan Challenges. On Saturday the 6th of September at 18:00 UTC, Clan Challenge #1 will take place, between my own clan (The Cult), and whichever other clan decides to accept our challenge.

This event is not a tournament or in any way affiliated with a tournament, but a straight-up one-off challenge. To accept our challenge, simply post your acceptance in this thread, which will function on a first-come first-served basis. Ideally it'd be a 5v5 match, but if you have fewer players available we are also willing to play 4v4 or 3v3 (we won't go lower than that, however).

If an established caster (i.e. someone who has made a number of videos already, so we can check his work) is willing to cast it, then let us know by posting in this thread and we'll arrange it.

The idea is to promote clan creation and clan play. My clan is tired of demolishing groups of randoms who -- even though they may have better players among them -- keep losing because they don't know each other, and hence are uncoordinated. I would love nothing more than for this challenge to encourage people to create a clan simply in order to participate in it, and would be just as delighted with facing a brand-new clan as I would be if The Realm or PAG decided to take up our challenge.

This will be a recurring event, and we plan to hold challenges more or less every week (which we will announce in this thread, at first, and on a dedicated site linked off this thread, in due course). If no one formally takes up our challenge, we will still assemble the team on the day and time indicated, in a lobby titled "CULT GAME: EVERYONE WELCOME", and we'll spend several hours taking on all comers. However, considering how unaffiliated players will flood such games, you would be well advised to officially accept our challenge in this thread well ahead of time, so we can set a proper lobby name (e.g. "The Cult vs. Clan X") and a password.
    Last edited: September 4, 2014
  2. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Yeah i am pretty sure we will accept this when custard is back, maybe we can also help you with getting a good caster.
  3. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

as an aside, and a semi soultion to your 'problem' of easy games, i would suggest taking on larger teams than yourself, so 4 v 5 etc. its what Realm does occasionally to even up the odds, so may be good practice for you. especially with the new influx of players.
  4. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I'd really love to get in on this and cast you guys if that'd be fine. I really like those team games.
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Me and posidian are doing 2v6 for practice and we're close to winning...
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hmmm not against anyone decent I'll bet... Just like zaphods Rolf stomps which I've crashed several times :p
  7. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

The Realm accepts this challenge (sorry for being last minute!), and will have at least 4 people around for a 4v4 when this starts.

We'd like to do a best of 3 set of games, you guys can chose the first system, and then the team that lost the previous game chooses the second and third systems?

We might also be able to get WPMarshal to cast, gotta do some poking...
  8. icycalm

Awesome, we had given up on you guys! See you in the lobby! (Lobby name: "The Cult vs. The Realm", password: "awesome".)
  9. icycalm

Two of our best players were up all night last night playing the game because I told them the Challenge was called off, and we are trying to rouse them now. If they don't make it in time, we'll probably get less experienced ones to play (like 15 hrs of game-time experienced...) Or we could set the challenge back a couple hours to give them time to come online.

Either way, because you are one of the top 10 ranked players, if I am not mistaken, I just want to make clear to you that the best players we have have played the game between 50 and 110 hours. I think we are good considering the time we've put in, but if you and people of your level will be in your team, I hope our skill will be enough to give you a decent challenge and not bore you.
  10. mot9001

If we win, you learn something, if you win we learn something, its gonna be good.
    elodea likes this.
  11. icycalm

Yeah, we will definitely learn from you. I just don't want you to be bored, so if you have less experienced players available, try to include at least one or two of them in your team. At least for the first game, until you judge our level and react accordingly.

On another note, we have 3 of our 4 best players confirmed now (though one of them might be 15 or so minutes late). We are trying to get in touch with the fourth one now, but he went to sleep five hours ago.
  12. icycalm

13. mot9001

Wait when do we fight again in 45 min right?
  14. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

are your people on pa stats? may help to get more even teams if all players have done 10 or so 1v1s as a benchmark.

anyhow, enjoy, can't be there to see it live but will catch the replay. as the first clan war of the launch edition there should be a fair few viewers, heres hoping for a dramatic battle.

go team realm!
  15. icycalm

16. icycalm

We don't do 1v1 at all. It's a whole other ballgame... We don't enjoy the game when it's not at least 3v3.
  17. icycalm

[​IMG]

Yeah we had a lot of fun, would play you every day if we could lol. Also stoked to hear the twitch thing worked out well. Let us know if you upload any videos somewhere so we could watch them, especially of that hour-long match in which we managed to fight back a little :)
    mot9001 likes this.