T1 bomber snipes in FFA

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by aapl2, September 6, 2014.

1. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

So now that the commander lost his AA AoE damage this now a real problem, stack up that AA.

Scathis I hope you undo this silly change.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

> INB4 "you're not building enough AA"
  3. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

Inb4 you cannot build enough AA to kill 50 bombers that fast.
  4. squishypon3

In before is an acronym meaning that I'm in the thread before someone posted what will obviously be posted. Trust me, you can build enough fighters to deal with bombers. Don't give me the argument "Well what if he builds fighters too?" As that just means he's putting resources into two units whilst you only need to put resources into one. (This is of course unless he has a larger economy than you)
    mered4 likes this.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Can't you just build cheaper fighters or or are you saying you should be able to survive against 50 t1 bombers without any protection?
    FSN1977, drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  6. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Your argument is bad. You shouldn't simply point out that you can counter it with units. You shut down conversations and go nowhere.

What you should be asking is if it's too difficult in terms of economic cost and effort to counter effectively.
    aapl2 likes this.
  7. squishypon3

But the point isn't just that you can counter it with units, but that you can counter it with units and use less resources. In the time it took him to build 50 bombers you could have much more fighters, and even if he instead opted for 30 fighters and 20 bombers, you'd still have more fighters.

A mixed force does decent in a couple areas, a single force does extremely well in one area, and nothing in others.

The only issue is you don't want it to be too easy, and your commander shouldn't be able to deal with 50 bombers alone. Actually- how does the commander fair against 50 tanks anyhow? As it may make a bit of sense considering how he deals with those units, though it would then require large balance changes to fit the same thing.
  8. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

That's too hard for awesome.
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

>FFA
    Sorry, but needing to invest in a preemptive counter for cheese is not really ideal in an FFA. There's more than one player here, you shouldn't have to focus on hard-countering the guy building nothing but bombers some ways away. If it's a necessity, gameplay suffers as a result. The argument isn't if it's fair, it's that it's cheesy / not fun for that particular strategy to be possible.

...not that I agree or disagree that this is a problem. I haven't seen it happen in the new patch yet, I don't know if it's economically viable at all. I'm just sick of the 'just hard counter it' arguments with regards to cheese, when the gameplay would still suffer from it.
  10. squishypon3

But you should always be building fighters? I always have at least two air factories constantly building fighters over my base with an area patrol, I even extend their area patrol as I expand.
    argibargi91 likes this.
  11. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

I think somone forgot to build some AA or scouts.
  12. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

how often do you win though?
    aevs likes this.
  13. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Horrible analogy. Tanks are slow-moving, need to move around obstacles and structures, can be defended against with kill boxes and walls, etc. actually getting 50 tanks into range of the enemy commander: much more difficult. Not to mention the commander's uber canon, with which it will probably be able to deal with the remnants easily. Actually managing to get 50 bombers to the commander is much easier and much faster than getting 50 tanks there.
    eroticburrito and Tripod27 like this.
  14. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

you cannot keep tabs on a 1000 radius planet at all times.
  15. squishypon3

Alrighty, my apologies :p
    eroticburrito likes this.
  16. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

Tl;DR bombers should not be an effective snipe.
  17. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

We are not talking about rushing a bomber snipe, but something that can happen at any point in a FFA. To counter a bomber snipe, you need to have sufficient AA and you need to make sure they take out the bombers quickly.

I don't know if this is an issue or not, all I am saying is that you can't dismiss his argument that easily.
    aevs likes this.
  18. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

True.. but if you fighting with someone else and suddenly another enemy rushes your comm with 300 dox are you than also saying that they need to improve the Uber cannon AoE and rate of fire? (yes you can defend more easily against dox than bombers but the principle is the same in my opinion.) If the enemy found a weakness in your base and is exploiting that weakness he deserves the kill. SXX insta snipes not included as they bypass all defences.
  19. squishypon3

This right here. :p
  20. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Sorry but Bomber snipes are pretty situational if someone scouted you your chances to pull it off drop drasticly. AA eats bombers really fast allready and if your really desperate to avoid a bomber snipe get some flak.