2 days to launch; where is ladder and quickmatch button?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by heresy, September 3, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lucky for you *there is a ladder* then isn't it (PA:Stats if you haven't tried it, see Colas post above)...
  2. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Thats really a stupid call, I bet if Uber did this kickstarter again they would have problems gathering even 900 dollars. Most people already left or gave up. Just count the amount of people that backed the game and then the people who play it.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

So you've been saying a ladder should be present at release as it's a core, and well expected feature. That's its become the norm.

Yet offline capabilities, one of if not the most core feature of any game being released afterwards makes sense?

If anythings to make new players shy away from PA it's having DRM, and not the lack of a ladder. What should really be priority here? Personally I definitely consider the offline and server hosting much more important as I suspect any new players will.
  4. heresy

heresy New Member

Yup.

I don't know what DRM has to do with all of this, but casuals don't play RTS.
  5. cdrkf

Many people play the game though?! Also I think Uber would be in a very good position to do another KickStater. Ladder or not PA is an example of a well executed Kickstarter project- the pitched an idea, got the money and went with it. End result? A game that delivers what it set out to, and the Kickstarter *wasn't* for the 'next esports title' and certainly didn't promise a ladder. PA is starting to *become* an esports title, I'm not sure if that was really planned for or not, still that isn't really what most players play the game for. Uber have the statistics, the majority of players play GW or skirmish against the AI (this was also true for TA and SupCom) as competitive RTS is so very hard to break into.

I agree with you and others that a good ladder and matchmaking system is important to help develop the esports side of things, (and many thanks to Cola for working on this!), just try and remember 2 things:

1: Esports / competitive multi-player isn't where the majority of the users are playing (Cola has plenty of stats for the number of AI games and people with PA:Stats installed are the more multi-player focused people in the first case)

2: PA:Stats provides these capabilities anyway, so perhaps a more useful approach would be to help promote the system to new players. There is a ladder- it just needs to be made more visible :)
  6. cdrkf

According to the numbers (Mavor posted some a while back, would have to find them) you're very wrong on this. There are many many people playing PA single player. The minority is the multi-player crowd as *competitive RTS* has a very very steep learning curve and is very unforgiving.
    kayonsmit101, Quitch and squishypon3 like this.
  7. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

Squishy, don't get me wrong: I consider offline and servers important as well.

But: a lot of people (dare I say: the infamous "average players") have long since accepted always-online as an industry standard. Blame Blizzard or EA but that's how it is.

So a lot of folks will buy PA and then be confused by the lack of quick matchmaking. Then they'll hop into a random game, get stomped by a bored vet, repeat that once or twice ... and they're done. Maybe they'll leave an angry rant on the forums as a bonus.

I'm afraid ladders & mm are more important for player retention than offline & servers.
    vyolin and tatsujb like this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

alright alright you guys just calm it down. the claims from both parties are getting absurd.
    can we just all agree that we just want a ladder, matchmaking and ranking?
    (I mean is there any valid reason to care if you're just not interested?)

let us have our wish, we let you all have your demands and have them be answered.
  9. brutismaximus

brutismaximus New Member

This game is not finished. Why is it being released now? Where is the explanation? Where is the quote from Uber saying why they are releasing now and when we will get out promised features?

-Where is the save feature?
    -Where is offline/hosting your own server (i don't want to go into this one as it's been addressed in other threads)
    -Where is the polish on many aspects of the game such as the user interface for galactic war? Things are constantly cut off on it, you can't scroll the galaxy map, you can't abandon a war without first going into it.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yes they do?... :p
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  11. heresy

heresy New Member

yes!
  12. burlayz

burlayz Member

Have Uber even addressed this point?
    I'd really like to know when or even IF we're ever going to be able to play offline
  13. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Necro power - Some people backed the game without buying it fyi.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

hey I'd just like for the thread to keep up it's work, as certain mods only read titles to determine if the entire thread is lock-worthy, may I suggest you change the title to something diplomatic please? :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  15. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

I'm a casual player.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

I chocked.
    Just.... stop.
    Here you have lost any remains of creditability that you had.

Yes, so let's live by the EA standards!

Gash... this forum completely went down the drain since I visited it last time.