2 days to launch; where is ladder and quickmatch button?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by heresy, September 3, 2014.

1. heresy

heresy New Member

When can we expect it?
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Ladder: Soon after launch
    Quickmatch button: I don't even know if that's planned. You can download PAStats for a quick 1v1 button.
    mishtakashi and thetrophysystem like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You actually can't have a working ladder without a "quickmatch" button that throws you into a ranked game ;)
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Of course you can, gamers were doing it for years before games implementing matchmaking systems.
    thetrophysystem and igncom1 like this.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I don't want to rehash the 10+ page conversation Jon had with folks re: the ladder, but we have created a new tagging system so people can search for players more on their level.

When people talk about ladders and matchmaking, they all seem to have different ideas in their heads. And that's cool, but it's hard for me to directly say "nah," as what you think a ladder is may be different than what we're thinking.

Edit: to be clear, though, the functionality you see in the game is what you'll see on September 5, when the game hits worldwide.
    someonewhoisnobody and Remy561 like this.
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

So is there gonna be an extension to the current system including matchmaking and actual ranking?
  7. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

In the future? We're obviously very interested in moving the game forward as a competitive title, so matchmaking, rankings, ladders, etc., are on our minds.
    cdrkf, Remy561, cptconundrum and 3 others like this.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well, making the game so it can be competitive.

I wouldn't pull a starcraft and turn the game so it's only competitive, that has only given the game a slow decline as people can't have as much fun.
    Nicb1 and eroticburrito like this.
  9. heresy

heresy New Member

Fire up Starcraft/Warcraft/CoH, click Play. Boom, game.
    hansolo88 and planktum like this.
  10. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I've come to terms with the fact that "the functionally you see in the game is what you'll see on September 5" so basically the game has already launched. But what I'm not happy about is releasing a game with such terrible performance. The game constantly stutters, comes to a full hault or crashes. You should at least give people an explanation for why this is happening. Is it the servers and you are going to fire up more servers or is the game ahead of its time and current servers won't be able to handle the required processing power for another 5 years, or is it something else. People have been asking about this for a while now and we deserve an explanation. If it's a code optimisation issue then it's pretty arrogant to officially release the game in this state.
    Alphasite likes this.
  11. hansolo88

hansolo88 New Member

Yeah I do have to admit I was really hoping for a "quick-match" button also. I guess I'm ok with waiting till a bit after release, but I really hope the ladder system does include an automated match-making system for matching at least 1v1 games.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

We've been told, it was a server error, server bug- servers were hosting more than eight games, when they're only supposed to host eight at a time. One for each CPU.
  13. planktum

Can you please link their post. I hope this is true because I'm happy with the game in its current state feature wise, but the performance is unbearable. Is it one game per CPU or per core? And is a 10 player game going to receive the same server resource as a 1v1?
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Thats what has always confused me, is one cpu really enough to run pa? Like is that suitable?
    planktum likes this.
  15. squishypon3

It's one server per CPU at the moment, and always had as far as I know. I think it's one thread per player, and the computer has 16GB of RAM.

Anyway, I'll tryyy to go find the quote, one moment please.

Edit: when I say per CPU I mean per core, computers register cores as CPUs so I've just gotten used to it. (it also registers threads as cores/CPUs)
    Last edited: September 3, 2014
  16. squishypon3

Here you guys go, forrest said so:

[​IMG]
    drz1, planktum and Remy561 like this.
  17. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

18. planktum

If its one CPU per game and each CPU has 8 cores and 16 threads, then in a 2 player match you would have 14 idles threads. And you essentially wouldn't have enough threads to host a match over 16 players. This doesn't make sense. Surely it's more dynamic than that. I'd really love to get an explanation from the devs around server resourcing, because as it stands, if the game is released with its current server performance there will be a metacritic shitstorm.
  19. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

Let's be honest: PA is a great game as is.

But ladders and matchmaking ... damn. We went from "we'll consider delaying the game so you get a decent multiplayer feature" to "take these tags that most people ignore anyway". Was it a low-cost solution? Yes. Will it work for the droves of people expecting 1-click multiplayer they're used to from other games? Nope.

We'll see how release turns out, I guess.
    bradaz85, cola_colin and planktum like this.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Starcraft isn't only competitive.

and it's thanks to it being competitive that they keep getting new campaigns to play. there's another instalment coming.
    planktum likes this.