[Linux] FPS drop

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by n00n, August 22, 2014.

1. n00n

n00n Active Member

As the title says, I just had a strange drop in FPS. I managed to grab a screenshot and wanted to share incase the developers can and want to make sense of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note, the drop started to occur before the commander died and lasted about 20 seconds. When watching the replay I get no such FPS drop. I am also using --single-process in an attempt to have a playable game (has not previously caused any issues like this).

• Lobby ID: 4911189264741413214
    • Build version: 70289
    • Video card: Nvidia GTX Titan with latest proprietary drivers, v340.32 (full specs can be found here).
  2. atari911

atari911 New Member

I too am seeing something that sounds very similar to this. Game is playing well and then all of a sudden FPS decreases to the .5 you have in your screen shot. FPS will come back up randomly and then drop again.
    Interesting thing is that the game seems frozen but the units are still moving, it just looks like they are moving very, very, very... very slow.

At first I thought it was lag but it seems to be something else as I have played a game or two with many, many units and have had no issues. I'm thinking this may be a bug or something systemic as it will fix itself and then come back randomly.

The only switch I am using is: --software-ui

I'm going to do some more playing and see if it caused by something triggering it. It all started for me when i paused the game so I was thinking that may have been the issue but we'll see.

Sys info:
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
  3. n00n

n00n Active Member

I've had a few more stutters recently (not using --single-process), but hadn't grabbed screenshots or even checked the FPS as they've been shorter and my first instinct is always to check if Coherent's died first. Also I've never paused a game so don't think that's part of the issue.
  4. atari911

atari911 New Member

I had it happen with about 1000 units on the field in the last game I played so I thought it has to be lag, but then it cleared up after only a few seconds and went back to normal. I proceeded with a full on massive attack and it handled it just fine so its got to be something else.
    Looking around I've noticed some other FPS drops/slow-motion threads being started in the general discussion. Some references to 'time-dilation' where the server (in those cases they where playing muti) lags but keeps the game going at lag time but smooth speed.

For me the lag seems to be completely random. 10 units or 1000 makes no difference.
  5. varrak

varrak Official PA

Please, anyone hitting this, grab an UberProbe capture and upload here. The 2.1 seconds in "other" for the on-screen profiler doesn't give us much to go on.

Also, what were you doing at the time? Area patrols or similar commands? Any consistent repro information would be really handy.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Wow, it's actually enabled on Linux now. Was looks like disabled completely because zero output to console, but now it's looks like working, but a bit buggy:
    Code:
    [21:51:41.810] INFO s_CaptureStartTick: 0
    [21:51:41.810] INFO s_CaptureEndTick: 1000000047
    [21:51:41.810] INFO Performing profile capture to /home/i/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation\PerfLogs\/quick_2014_9_3__21.51.41.upf
    [21:51:41.810] INFO now - start: 237520
    [21:51:41.811] INFO Sleeping for capture duration
    [21:51:42.810] INFO Ending capture with duration
    [21:51:42.811] INFO UberProbe capture written.
    [21:51:42.811] INFO now - start: 1000551796
    [21:51:42.811] INFO not starting capture

So it's put output into "Planetary Annihilation\PerfLogs\" directory. :)

PS: Reported bug (PA#4040).
    Last edited: September 3, 2014