Running PA on a network behind a firewall?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by jeez, August 26, 2014.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Going through a VPN doesn't make your activities any safer (except for stopping packet sniffing but you aren't using the VPN for security). The VPN just allows you to connect to the internet on Port 443 so that your "Network Guru" can close off all other ports in his router (for his so called security requirements). By going through a VPN all you are doing is sending traffic over Port 443 which is already open in the router. If you were browsing a dodgy/infected/hacker website directly through the router or via VPN, it wouldn't matter, this website would have the same ability to infect your computer, but that's where the local computer antivirus and firewall comes into play. To be 100% safe you'd have to actually stop using the internet. This guy is way too paranoid for his own good, and it's most likely due to his own lack of experience in networking. Sounds like you might be caught up in some type of cult? Get out while you can! :)

You should put the onus back on him to explain to you HOW the VPN would compromise his network. I bet you he couldn't give you a proper explanation and that is why he doesn't want you to do anything. He is scared of the unknown. It's easier just to say NO.
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
    jeez likes this.
  2. jeez

jeez Member

So basically connecting to a game server through VPN is just a method to prevent DDoS attacks from other locations, you can shut off all access to your network apart from the connection you are setting up. On top of that, you prevent other people tracking the contents of your data.

"No" is the default position here. It's not a cult, just an older person set in his ways. Upon his remark that a VPN would cause my connection to lag and go down in speed, thus making it unusable for gaming, I asked how he could know for sure. Basically, it came down to "because I say so", and actually testing his hypothesis with a VPN provider that is directly marketed for gamers was a no-no.
    I couldn't get a clear answer why. All I can assume is preconceptions against gaming at this point, so it comes down to politics.

In the meantime, I've heard word about an offline singleplayer mode coming pretty soon. It's not the same, but better than nothing.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Maybe you should not say "I want to game with this" but come up with some other explanation of why you need unrestricted access via a VPN.
  4. jeez

jeez Member

No, I am a big fan of honesty, and I'm sick and tired of acting like gaming is something to be ashamed of. I've done that for well over 20 years (ever since I discovered computers). I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a nerd (well, I always have, but only recently realized that nerds are the trendsetters of the world, and we should be proud of that!), but the fact that other people don't see the potential of the internet and stigmatize the ones that do is getting under my skin.
    I've tried to live a life that the masses approve of, but that just ain't me.
    I'm not a social person in the conventional way. I am however more social than most people I know. I meet new people on a daily basis, people from all over the world. Religion, race, country, status, income, none of that matters to us. Why should we be ashamed of that, and conform to the norm? Nobody is better or worse for living their lives differently.

Hm, this thread is turning into something more philosophical.
    Back to the point:

For the people behind firewalls:
    • Yes, you can get connected to PlayFab (horrible name btw) through a VPN
    • There are free ones out there that work (http://freesstpvpn.com/ for example).
    • ping is good
    • speed not so much
    • There are also paid ones that offer better performance, especially the ones targeted at gamers
    • It's easy to set up, and for regular internet usage you can temporarily disable it with the same ease, so you can use the bandwith your ISP offers
    Last edited: September 2, 2014
    Planktum likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

In dealing with ignorant people who understand nothing just telling them what they want to hear is so much easier sometimes ;)

My respect for your honesty, I myself probably would have setup my regular VPN setups without a second thought, then realized that the connections blocks a lot of stuff and just changed a little setting to use the VPN for all traffic at all times. Never even would've talked to whoever is responsible for the mess xD
  6. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Yeah good on you man, don't let anyone else tell you what hobbies you can and can't enjoy. I've felt the same way about gaming myself sometimes but at the end of the day, if you are living a well balanced life, being social, keeping down a job, exercising, then why shouldn't we be able to also add in a little gaming. On a side note You should also make sure you include Jesus too.

Hey I've got my own VPN setup through my work network (hardly use it, so I forgot about it) so I'll test a game and let you know the results.

I set up the VPN to secure my computer over public WiFi. The VPN is running on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) on my work network. Our work network hosts hundreds of VPS for customers and security is paramount, so do you think our work network would allow this if there was any security risk from connecting to Ubernet (PlayFab)?
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
  7. jeez

jeez Member

I like to treat people the way I want them to treat me. And I'm not overly fond of people who tell me what they think I want to hear :)

If I would have a VPN set up before I migrated to this network, I would probably have done the same. But since this is mainly a workaround so that I can play games, and I know how paranoid he can be when it comes to safety, the situation is a little bit different.

Well balanced: Not really. Recently been diagnosed with Asperger's. I've been able to cope with a "regular" independent way of living on my own for about 15 years, but some basic things are simply not in my skill set. I do consider myself social, but not in a conventional way. I need the buffer that the internet can provide. Keeping down a job, well, I've certainly tried. My CV is pretty damned long, I've tried and tried and tried some more, but the work environment depresses and confuses me.
    Gaming and exercising are not mutually exclusive, never understood why people think that. Granted, a little gaming for me is about 2-3 hours a day, but i've also been part of an athletics club (Olympic type sports) when I was young. I've always swam a lot, even been part of a waterpolo club, enjoy mountainbiking. Besides those things I like going outside, taking photographs (before it was cool :p) and taught myself to build and fly model aircraft and multirotors.

About your sidenote: My nickname may be Jeez, but that has nothing to do with any religion whatsoever. If you do believe in, well, whatever you want really, you may not like discussing that with me. I've been brought up in the Apostolic Society, but that was not my choice. I'm a realist.

I've been able to chat with "the man" (fun to use that term, even though I'm not a seventies kid), tonight. Seems there are some options being looked at, but nothing concise yet.
    I have however been able to explain that what he expects his network to be is not compromised by a VPN.

Cheers for all the support guys! I really appreciated it, and it helped me stay positive in some dark times :)
  8. jeez

jeez Member

Update:
    A third party has been contacted and a separate network has been established just for me. How cool is that!
    DeathByDenim likes this.