Performance in pre-1.0 PTE is just outstanding

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doud, August 30, 2014.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, but PTE pre-1.0 has really been improved a lot.
    I usually play on my corei7/32gigs/770gtx4gigs and of course i get very nice performance with Uber settings on very large systems (happy to see now that my cuda units are working all the time !)

However i really did not expect the last PTE to be running so well (With Uber settings !) on the following configuration

corei5 (4threads vs 8threads on core i7) +8gigs of mem + 560TI (1gig of ram). Running late game at 25~30 FPS with tons of units is pretty much incredible. Never had this with previous game releases.

To me the recommended hardware (to really be able to play) would be Quad core / 8gigs / low-medium range GFX cart with 1-2gigs of memory.

Releasing v1.0 by September 5th has obviously never been about rushing and deliver a poorly optimized game.

Congrats coders !!!!!
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
    verybad, damnhippie, Remy561 and 8 others like this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'd also like to point out that the sim recovers from *stalls* now - it used to never recover if the game froze completely. I've had multiple occasions where the game would just stop - and then, 2 minutes later, resume at a slightly slower pace. Usually, in stable, it would just crash and burn. AMAZING.
  3. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

Excellent news
  4. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Can't wait to get back from holiday and try it out!

Looking forward to being able to play ever bigger matches :D

Good work Uber :)
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Yeah, it really is great.
  6. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you
    eroticburrito likes this.
  7. fajitas23

fajitas23 Member

For those poor souls with only 4-8 GB of RAM, read this thread by SSX
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how-to-decreasing-ui-memory-usage-on-windows-linux.63043/
    It has improved my performance dramatically and made the game playable for the first time in weeks on my 4 GB machine.

@Uber: You might consider reducing the number of CoherentUI instances to something like 5, as SXX suggested. It really makes a huge difference in terms of RAM usage and the UI is still responsive (well, more responsive then when using virtual HD memory anyway).

Apart from that, awesome job! Congratulations.

I love the Death Star. Come online in PTE and play a round in the Monday Night system with me!
  8. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

PTE also has time dilation. If your sim starts taking too much time the client should stay nice and smooth. It'll be running in slow motion but it'll be smooth. It's totally dynamic so if the sim is able to run full speed the client will speed back up. It's pretty slick.
    cdrkf, ace63, Quitch and 14 others like this.
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Nice! On the subject of time dilation, just figured I would mention that the slow-mo playback speed in chronocam is currently only available by binding it to a key (which I was reminded of due to the rebinding). Any chance a button for slow playback could be put into the chronocam controls?
    FSN1977 likes this.
  10. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

The PTE runs smooth as heck - great work uber! However, getting lots of crashes. Game runs fine until kaput. Not sure what is causing it - seems to be related to having lots of units moving?
  11. rgiles

rgiles Member

PTE is great unless the game crashes. And it crashes a lot - way more than the regular build.
    Planktum and philoscience like this.
  12. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I tried playing on my lower end build(4GB, gtx 750ti, I5), and it plays extremely well. Havent tried it out on my shitty Core Duo macbook, but we'll see.(4GB)

As always, performance is phenomenal on high end builds. Just put together a Haswell-E/X99 build, and it plays so damn well.(32GB of DDR4, i7-5930K, 780TI, ASUS Rampage V)

So. Damn. Well.
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
  13. japporo

japporo Active Member

GW maps play acceptably well on my older machine as well (Q6600, 4GB, GTX 750 Ti) though I get considerable disk activity, presumably to the swapfile. Things do seem smoother than the previous builds.

No crashes yet (crosses fingers).
  14. teddythebear

teddythebear Member

I noticed this and I thought it might of just been a client side prediction going on but then you would see rubberbanding when the predictions don't match new frames and it corrects its self.
    Will there be a UI notification or display that shows the current time dilation multiplier?
  15. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I hope they will add a popup about it. I noticed that the client does that, and its hard to catch if you aren't paying attention.
  16. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I despise you for this.

Great work serverside, Uber. The recovery is outstanding!
  17. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

The store I work at was finally able to start selling the new X99 boards and the 2011.v3 CPUs today, and it took a lot of convincing to let the department head let me build the PC.(I think he told me the total cost of it was over $3000, after you add the SSD, the HDD and the Watercooler. toplel) lol.

Its sitting on display, and the first thing I did was put PA and some high end, AAA titles on there.
    I wish I had the money to buy a setup like that for my house. lol.

But like Webster said; Uber, you're doing a wonderful job.
  18. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

It probably makes sense to have that somewhere. It's kinda sorta there right now in a hidden way. If you bring up the debug Ctrl-P perf stats panel and tab over to the Sim stats you can see how it works. Ideally the Sim runs at 10fps and takes no more than 100ms. If it takes more than 100ms then time dilates. You can see how long the Sim is taking and what it's framerate is to get an idea of what the dilation multiplier is.

The dilation factor does increase in chunks to keep things extra smooth. In some cases that chunk may be larger than it really needs to be. We're still fine tuning the numbers. Honestly I think it's great right now, but we can squeeze an extra ounce or two of great juice out of the greatness.
  19. elodea

elodea Post Master General

yea, really nice work with the time dilation. Game may or may not run any faster, but it feels better
  20. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I noticed this, but with my limited experience with the game I thought it was normal. Cool feature.