New features in release.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by driecoolguy36, August 29, 2014.

1. driecoolguy36

driecoolguy36 New Member

We're all excited for the new features in the release version, i most of all. Death stars? Hell yeah. Gas giants? Cant wait.

From what i've heard about metal planets, they seem incredibly op at their current stage. Charge up time of fifteen seconds, no cooldown, no power cost, and not much more expensive than halleys (ok still pretty expensive). They seem like an instant win condition. Ofc, you should never let a weapon of that caliber fall into the hands of your enemy, and since we have no luke skywalker to save us, as soon as it's built literally everyone dies.

This would be easily remedied by just a couple fixes. Now hear me out, i know this is just on the test build server and incomplete, but these would still be interesting. The obvious would be a massive power cost to fire, longer charge up, and some cool down. But what about interrupting it? I imagine that immense destructive power has to go somewhere, so if the charge up is more than 50% complete, interrupting the firing sequence would release a burst of energy, disrupting everyone's poser gen for a couple minutes (or boosting it) and destroying everything on the metal planet, catalysts included. Another way of interrupting it, going back to the luke skywalker analogy, would be to fire an orbital laser at one of the catalysts during the firing sequence, over charging the super weapon, resulting in an explosion destroying the metal planet and it's moons.

Now, the gas giants are much simpler. If the orbital game is being more heavily emphasized upon, why not add more offensive orbital units? Having just avengers is kinda boring.

Sorry for the long post, just my grain of salt. Thanks for reading!
    philoscience likes this.
  2. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I agree that the avengers are pretty boring.
  3. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

A note about the Catalysts (the structures you build on the metal planet): you don't need radar or vision of the unit to see them being built by enemies.
    philoscience, Remy561, drz1 and 3 others like this.
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Is this planned to change?
  5. driecoolguy36

driecoolguy36 New Member

Is there some sort of warning when they're being built, or do you just have to look at them every so often? Either way would be fine imo.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It was deliberate, so probably not.
    Note: This applies to Halley's too.
    Remy561 likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Also, it isn't like you don't know where to find catalysts.

Also, IRL, you probably wouldn't need a child's telescope, just the naked eye, to see a structure like that from our planet to our moon. So it makes sense that it is visible from space unaided.

Makes balance sense too, being able to see something catastrophic is important, which is why Red Alert 2 had a reveal and countdown everyone saw for anyone building a superweapon. Because they were "important" enough for just one hit to decide the game.
    ace63 likes this.
  8. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I like it this way - probably completely panic inducing to everybody in the game but the one building it :)
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Does make sense. Anyone with half a brain should make the northern half of a metal planet their first target at this point anyway, and if nothing else, drop a teleporter at one of the catalyst points and hold it with all their might.

Same with movable moons. I think their weakest point is that they're so blatantly obvious, that if anyone actually manages to build all the necessary halleys or catalysts, they darn deserve a win.