PA is really, really bad on Linux right now

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by liamdawe, August 22, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You think it might literally take a seperately built-for-linux sort of division to fix this? I hope the work around works for you instead. Let us know if there is any way we can help. SXX is fully dedicated, I probably won't be much use...
  2. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

Don't be sorry to provide an answer even incomplete !
    It shows that you take care of this.

If you wait to have a complete answer to communicate, people tend to think that they've been forgotten.

So thank you for your answer.
    bradaz85 and cwarner7264 like this.
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Don't get me wrong, it is amazing that you guys are committed to supporting Linux. And I know how much it means to the portion of the userbase that is linux bound. But I can't help but imagine it is an extremely small slice of the overall userbase pie. To me it is totally understandable that Linux dev will lag a bit behind the primary platforms.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Since support for open source drivers was implemented it's not lag behind anymore. Unfortunately this doesn't increase developers ability to fix bug within 3rd party closed source binary.
    shootall likes this.
  5. gerii

gerii Member

Just played a whole game with the new PTE :rolleyes:
    dukyduke likes this.
  6. sechastain

sechastain Member

Don't mess with me.
  7. burtmonkey

burtmonkey New Member

UI keeps crashing for me same issues as before.
  8. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

9. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

I've just tested it and I had it too :(
  10. normantis

normantis New Member

11. n00n

n00n Active Member

Thanks for reporting guys. Saved me wasting time d/ling the PTE. :cool:
  12. gerii

gerii Member

Just finished my third game against the AI now and never had the issue. *fingerscrossed*
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You just lucky, there was no Coherent changes. :p
  14. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Let me get this straight, the game is releasing and the build that will be the "gold" released build doesn't have this fixed?

Is that about right?
  15. thetrophysystem

gerii claims he had no problems, just lucky. However, it appears, and wouldn't be the first time a company ever did this, that this game may launch without a linux crash fix, and will require a patch later to fix it.

Now, it will get it's patch, if not from coherent themselves, then the devs will figure out something different I am sure.

It will probably be, to linux users, about as buggy as simcity and gta5 was for everyone on launch. Hopefully it will get fixed soon though. Sucks that coherent, an otherwise functional on all OSes middleware, failed the linux community at the last moment. Real promising software, never seen a middleware I liked as much as coherent, really hope it is used by all programs in the next age, but it definitely needs to put all hands on deck to dig into this problem and fix it, and then move on with whatever updating they are doing...
    shootall likes this.
  16. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I'm downloading a PTE build using that handy python patcher someone created and posted in this forum, so at least I can see if it is any better since someone reported it is.
  17. thetrophysystem

The GO launcher? SXX made that one. If another one, then different. I am not sure how Steam works on linux, but if the beta opt-in feature is still there when you right click in library, then you can use that to install the launcher.

Maybe I should do that, haven't used my linux OS in a while and haven't even seen the difficulty yet myself. I bet it's bad though, like restart 5 times per game bad.
  18. shootall

shootall Active Member

SXX likes this.
  19. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

That's the one the Pyrus one worked a treat.

Also BIG NEWS.

I can also confirm that so far two games in a row with no black screen, and....dun dun dun...the UI has appeared in game both times :D

This is on the latest PTE build.
    cdrkf, gerii and shootall like this.
  20. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Ok, so it looks like the big item here is still unresolved, but some satellite issues are getting fixed. Some progress, at least.