PA release and DRM

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, August 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nateious

nateious Active Member

Diablo 3 was also travesty of a sequel to a truly great game which cashed in on the name. The recently released console version of the game is being praised as the best version which completely eliminates the always online aspect of it. (Well from a Blizzard standpoint anyway, who knows what will happen when Sony / Microsoft have dropped support for their current consoles)

Imagine for a minute that Total Annihilation had implemented online only DRM. No one could play it anymore. Cavedog is gone. Yet I can still enjoy the game anytime I want. This is the fate of virtually all companies in the long run. It might take years, it might take decades, but eventually that company will go away, or even if they don't, they will shut down servers for games simply because they have no desire to pay for them any longer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-12-50-ea-games-will-have-their-servers-shut-down

This alone is enough of a reason to never implement online only DRM.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

if FA had online DRM, ....if all pirates were in jail, where the f would FAF be, Spring?, the things that inspired @neutrino to make PA, a sequel to TA and FA.

(I hope people understand why I'm saying this. The whole "no DRM", "strongly mod-oriented", "strong unrelenting through the ages community" thing that @neutrino keeps talking about, that's where it's coming from.)
    vyolin and nateious like this.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm so happy someone picked up the server hosting for Halo CE, no more online CE would have sucked. :(
  4. nateious

nateious Active Member

I'm glad there is a work-around for Crysis, While I have absolutely 0 interest in Crysis MP, I still like to occasionally play the MechWarrior Living Legends mod because I like it far more than MW:Online.
  5. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Cool. Let me add to this discussion.

[​IMG]
  6. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I recommend you listen to that speech its actually based off of a Nazi funeral speech for some higher up. If anybody can guess who's reading that speech +1 Internet to them.;)
  7. lokiCML

Oh my god it's a gouf with its electricity weapon.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I would... but my internet can't play YouTube videos at the moment ^^;
  9. lokiCML

Well that sucks.:(
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Oh yeah I am sure that works. I wonder how Charles Manson is doing after all these years?
  11. lokiCML

I don't see the relevance of a comment.:confused: Charles Manson can go to prison for piracy.;)
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Priorities!

Everybody has to have them!
  13. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

alllllllllllllriiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.