Regarding some details we'll be releasing today

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

No, just... no. Introduce n00bs by dividing them up onto evenly balanced teams. Grinding them doesn't even serve a purpose with lack of lifetime statistics in this game, why would you detriment the game like that?
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

3. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Agree - there is ton of stuff which I fully expected them to fix before 1.0, none of which has even been touched yet.
  4. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I'm excited for release, here is hoping for a successful launch!
    meir22344 and Planktum like this.
  5. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Amazing, so excited about this release.
    (PLZ let it be giant deathstar lazer/beam)
  6. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

>It's Asteroids!

>No! It's Death Stars!

>New build gets released

>It's that stupid planets into the sun idea

Brad Laughs forever.
  7. ace63

Considering planets already are annihilated/damaged if they touch the sun that might actually be possible.
    Lets hope not.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

squishypon3 likes this.
  9. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Yeah, the community told Uber pretty directly, that the current balance is worse than a nail in your foot.

I guess Uber just didn't have enough time/money, so now they're hoping to make good PR and to get many customers and more money, to be able to finish a product that should supposedly be done with 1.0.

This will be the deciding factor over whether this game survives or drowns in misery.

But because of the current balance, I wouldn't be surprised if it fails to impress. The community said what was necessary, and nothing has been done about it.

In my country we have a saying:
    Who doesn't want to listen has to feel.

What Uber doesn't seem to get, is that planet smashing and stuff are just extras. The balance will decide whether this game is actually fun to play. That should've been the first priority, not the last.

I still wish Uber the best of luck with this risky step.

Greetings
    Last edited: August 26, 2014
    Terrasque and ace63 like this.
  10. cdrkf

Why? we haven't actually *tried* the build yet :p

The previous 'major' builds (i.e. Beta release, Gamma etc) have all been pretty impressive compared to the preciding version. The main thing is that releasing this just before pax gives us and them the oppertunity to find any last minute 'Gotchas' in it to give them time for a hotfix or 2.
    squishypon3 and corteks like this.
  11. cdrkf

Actually this isn't true, Scathis and Meta had already tweaked dox in the last PTE build and by all accounts it was much better. The build was pulled due to other technical problems however I'm sure the reworked balance will be in the new build. Remember we are getting this *before* it goes live at pax, it won't be alot of time but minor things can still be adjusted or patched. Uber want the pax build to be great just as much as we do, give them a little credit :)
  12. Arachnis

Yeah, I've seen what they did to the dox. It made me want to doubt whether they actually know what they're doing.

What they did to the dox was ridiculous, and against everything that makes for a good balance in rts games. You don't just turn a unit into something that can go through water, swarm and also shoot air... I totally lost my faith in scathis and meta exactly because of what you mentioned.
    ace63 likes this.
  13. cdrkf

No you're missing the point, the dox buffs are in the *current build* which is OLDER than the one I'm reffering to (they newer PTE was pulled for some other reason, can't remmeber exactly) where they had scaled the dox back again.

Scathis always does this, makes something silly strong then eases it back until it fits with everything else. The dox in the now unavaulable PTE was *much more sensible*. I agree the dox in the current stable build is too much, however it's not going to stay that way. Also dox firing in water was a bug which will be fixed (dox are supposed to cross water but by totally vulnerable to ships).
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea which scathis said like a couple of times he would do and does ... but hey 100%PERFECTBALLANCEATDAY1RELEASE!!!!!11!!1!!ORBUST!!!11!!1!!
  15. Arachnis

I would agree with you if the dox was the only problem. But T2, orbital, navy and so on... there are just too many flaws. And modders have already shown how to make it better.

If modders do a better job than the devs themselves, then that's usually not a good sign.

The balance in this game is no fun at all atm.
    The dox being the least of problems. This should've been fixed months ago imo.

But we will see how it goes. Maybe the players at pax will be blinded by planet smashing and stuff, so that they decide to buy the game before taking a second, deeper look into gameplay, which is probably what Uber is secretly hoping for.

Greetings
    stuart98 and ace63 like this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea modders may know how to balance things ... do they know how to make an engine that supports multiplanet play bringing in the idea of colliding planetoids playing on spherical battlefields? making units go through different layers? create layers?
    the community/internet seriously never fails to throw stones at the devs for whenever there is some ballance problem and being rediculously dramatic about it ...
    like how many times do we have to say this IS a small dev team, they have LIMITED manpower ... they are NOT blizzard ...
    and ballancing and tweaking takes time especialy when there is further content to be added, further artwork, further polishing further EVERYTHING ..
    i seriously wonder if you understand THAT ...
  17. cdrkf

I think you need to be careful about saying outright that the 'modders versions are better'... different isn't the same as outright better. I haven't tried RCBM yet, however I've played plenty of games on Statera and I like it- it's much more TA like which is what they're shooting for. Scathis *isn't* shooting for quite the same thing through, he's keeping the balance quite fasted paced. I also don't think T2 is too far off the mark and orbital works it's just lacking options (and that is about to be expanded thanks to gas giants + some new orbital stuff so we need to wait and see on that one).

Naval play isn't great (and the dox issue really made that 10x worse) however agin Meta stated in a recent stream that is getting a balance pass as well.

TL DR; I think we need to try the release candidate build before drawing any conclusions on balance. Uber tend to do 'big' releases well imo.
    kayonsmit101, squishypon3 and Quitch like this.
  18. ace63

The thing is that they have been shown time and time again how it can be done better by modders.
    There have been countless arguments on this topic. They simply ignored the opinion of the community and went with "we are the professionals, we do it like we want". Heck they could have simply implemente RCBM right now and it would make for a far better balanced game.
    They simply don't want to and don't care if they upset the community.
  19. cdrkf

RCBM isn't the same as vanilla though. The community balance mod would have been a better example. I'm not convinced bowing to the community is the right thing to do in this case, it can quickly devolve into a 'design by comittee' mess and you end up worse off than before you started. Evidently you preffer RCBM, but what about the community as a whole? There is only a small group of players that have even tried it, and I can imagine if it were held at a tournament level the balance might not actually be as good as many think....
  20. ace63

I was just using RCBM as an example, in my opinion the popular balance mods are all superior to vanilla.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.