Regarding some details we'll be releasing today

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Technically it has Linux support, as it runs in the first place. :p

They used Open GL just for Linux and Mac users, even though the game would have been a bit easier to work on with Direct X in some cases (Or so I've heard) just duel boot linux and windows for a while until it gets up to spec. ;)

Also DRM free is not going to be scratched out! It'll just take them some time for them to continue working on the server, they don't want to release an unfinished server to the public basically.
    MrTBSC and dukyduke like this.
  2. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

Vanilla in-game mod support?
    mered4 likes this.
  3. squishypon3

We already have mods?

Client mods will come once the client is available. :p

(Oh wait, do you mean the mod marketplace? I'm anxious to see if that'll make an appearance as well. :D )
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

vackillers likes this.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Last I heard, getting a streamable internet connection at PAX costs somewhere in the five figures area $ per day. That said, Uber is directly opposite the Twitch booth, so there's that.
  6. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Maybe we can throw a media/community **** storm at the other planet?
    optimi likes this.
  7. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

You heard it here folks....

[​IMG]
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Nope server can handle it.;) Which is why the server is not to be released at launch.
    While PA is already DRM free because at the moment is a purely online game. As per the Linux support it is there. As far as I knew they only have one person working on Linux platform which the specifically hired to do that. They're all really experienced Windows programmers so you know. Absolutely more bug squashing is always needed but software engineering is really complex sort takes time to do that.;)
  9. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Disclaimer: In-game implementation may differ significantly from concept as gameplay has "evolved".
    zweistein000 and Remy561 like this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Let's stay on topic here please - DRM discussion is for another thread.
  11. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

12. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

/!\ Warning ! DRM Troll spotted /!\

Please, fill free to debate on DRM but in another thread.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  13. squishypon3

Sorry Cwarner. :D
  14. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

15. brianpurkiss

3 main reasons: power, control, and management.

My servers will be more powerful than Uber's servers. People will be able to mod the servers, which you can't do with Uber's servers. I'll also be managing the servers, making sure they're updated (both game and mods).

Probably the biggest benefit of using one of my servers will be bandwidth. Uber hosts up to 8 games on a single server. If they have 8 large games on a single server, then those 8 games will be hogging up bandwidth and you'll run into server lag. From my understanding, the #1 contributor to server lag right now is bandwidth. That won't be an issue with my servers. :)

If you have the technical know how, by all means host your own server. But not everyone had the know how or the time to manage a server.
  16. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

yeah, like, can we just take a moment and celebrate how far this game has come and where we're at together instead of de-railing it with drm stuff?

one thing i did want to point out -- it seems like a fair bit of you are kinda asking the same thing: what is launch? what makes 1.0, you know, 1.0?

we feel like 1.0 is the realization of the vision we have for the game. take a step back, and you'll see a game where you can treat celestial bodies like interplanetary billiard balls. or a game where you can build a ludicrous amount of units and bash them into another ludicrously big army. or a game where you can take a galaxy over and over again not by sheer force, but by creativity. you can transfer units across planets or use them as homeworlds. soon, you'll be able to mine gas giants and blow up stuff in a brand new way. this game is huge. it's inspiring. it's what we wanted it to be.

and we're really proud of it.
    Devak, ghoner666, Schulti and 24 others like this.
  17. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

/agree
    [​IMG]
    ghoner666, corteks, meir22344 and 6 others like this.
  18. brianpurkiss

It is very awesome. It is very inspiring. It is quite the accomplishment.

But the internet at large is never satisfied. Instead of looking what you have done, they'll look at what you haven't done. Be it unit cannon, server access, offline, astroid belts... whatever.

DRM free, server, and offline play is a very big deal. Everyone has been waiting for it. Especially offline play. I don't think the internet at large will be happy about being always online.
  19. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

<----- Excited
  20. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

I'm not trying to be negative nancy but I just expected more, more units, more buildings and more interesting planets. I guess I just jumped aboard the hype train.
    wilhelmvx and ace63 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.