PA is really, really bad on Linux right now

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by liamdawe, August 22, 2014.

1. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Unplayable. I'm really surprised it's been left to get this bloody bad :(.

First load up today: black screen
    Second load up: Did single player, planet generated and....no UI
    Third load up: black screen

Come on I expected better of something I supported so much before.

Why has it been left to get this bad?

EDIT > The UI will now appear, but the multiple unit selection bug appears on every game, and ruins it.
    Last edited: September 3, 2014
    tg230 likes this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Closed source middleware suck. :(
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Jorgen has been keeping a pretty sharp on Linux land. Last build we pushed out, as far as we knew, didn't have any major regressions. New hardware or drivers, or is Coherent in the latest build just really not working well for some in the land of Linux?
  4. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

It's utterly terrible right now garat and has been for quite a while looking over posts from SXX and others over the last few months.

I've had the black screen on startup for months and saw it was already reported before, but usually that went away just by quitting and then loading up again, but not anymore.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm really sorry, but I suppose it's was pretty transparent that there is game breaking Coherent crash on Linux and I'm talked about that with @jorgenpt several times so I think it's acknowledged fact. E.g it's crash mostly in every game on any drivers, with no exceptions.

PS: I was pretty busy till mid of August so didn't asked about that too often.
  6. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Talking to people in the #gamingonlinux irc channel about it and they all have the issues too.

Pretty sure I saw a bug report on the UI issues dating back to October 2013 somewhere too...
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's wasn't that long actually. Bug happen rarely long time ago, but real problem appear when Uber split one UI view into ~30 separate views. It's happen within this summer if I'm correct.

PS: Also to be fair I doubt that original bug tracker task have anything to do with the problem because it's have different error code. :)
  8. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I beg to differ http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2392

As noted in the OP I get the exact same issue, and have done for as long as that.

As far coherent not showing up, I just ran it again in terminal 3/3 times no UI.

9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Fact is: it's never caused serious issues for anyone back when task was created and considering tons of changes within both game and Coherent it's different issues already.
  10. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Uh, the bug report is exactly the same....and it's October last year.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Uh... Do you get that it's not Coherent or PA error or crash back trace?
    This is standard Xlib error message and there might be tons of reasons why this would appear, e.g starting from thread/process segfault to wrong function call. There was tons of changes in UI since October. E.g there was tons of different problems: Linux specific and not and most likely those two issues completely unrelated.

Only reason why I used old task it's because it's was still open and I think it's some very temporary and rare behaviour.
  12. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Well yes it is possible that somehow a different bug is crashing the same system and giving me the exact same problem as I've been having for the same amount of time...

So, if the guys want more info how can I send a proper debug log of it all then?
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can't. It's not crash, but proper shotdown with excepted backtrace. :(
    I already sent this backtrace to Jorgen, but I seriously doubt it's anything useful because as far as I know there is nothing Uber can debug within Coherent host.
    shootall likes this.
  14. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Well that's just great then isn't it.
    shootall likes this.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For someone who speny last week trying to workaround/fix it this is sad, but this one should be fixed when Uber switch to never Coherent version that possible no longer use GTK or shared memory (if I right Aura don't use MIT-SHM yet).

@jorgenpt fixed pretty much all other Linux-only problems, but unfortunately this one is a big larger than just being Linux-only because as far as I get Coherent have to be upgraded for all platforms, but hopefully this happen sooner than later. :)
    shootall likes this.
  16. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

So, some more info about that. I was the one that posted that bug report waaaay back. That bug disappeared on its own for me a long time ago. I didn't report that because the bug was very hard to reproduce at the time and eventually I forgot about it.

Actually, I was surprised that it got revived again in the bug tracker. I also think it's not related to the current show-stopping bug because BadAccess can be caused in many different ways akin to how a segfault can be caused in many different ways. This new BadAccess has only occurred once for me so far, but I haven't been playing PA much lately due to time constraints.
  17. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

Uber can not debug Coherent, but the guys from Coherent must provide support for this kind of problem.
    Do you know if Uber talked with coherent on this issue ?

My PA is also close to unplayable on my Debian. I've to restart approximately all 5-10 minutes happily game reconnects work really fine.
  18. gerii

gerii Member

First PTE build after 69721 introduced something that made this bug occur in every game after a few minutes. Before it just popped up sporadically and a reconnect ususally was enough to play again.
    IIrc build 66770 also had a similar problem which was then fixed in 66943.
  19. tg230

tg230 New Member

The unfortunate truth, I love this game but the UI issues have made it unplayable.

Any ETA on this? IE will it be in 1.0 or will PA be broken on a supposedly supported platform at launch?

Not trying to be negative, I just want to know what to expect for my own experience and I wonder if Uber will get any bad press over that if Linux users see it advertised on Steam or something on launch day, buy it, and find it's unplayable.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have no idea because I'm not the Uber press manager. Though I'd reported this crash issue to @jorgenpt when it's start to occur often and also reported my findings when I tried to debug it on my own.

Uber never provide ETAs on anything and in this case I'm not even sure if this (switch to Coherent 2.x) going to happen so it's only my personal guess. E.g I not even sure if newer Coherent builds actually based on Chromium with Aura.

As far as I know nobody on this forum said when this "1.0" arrive so it's strange question. :)