Linux Observations

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by sechastain, August 16, 2014.

1. sechastain

sechastain Member

It seems to me that the closer we've gotten to release, the more unstable Linux has become.

It's frustrating.

Anyways, I'm repeatedly seeing some sporadic behavior in PA that prevents the game from being played.

Startup
    The first is when the game starts up. The planets are in-view and being rendered, as are start zones.

There's no UI overlay, though. And middle-click drag does not work. So I have to restart the game and hope a reconnect work

Reconnecting
    It's hit or miss as to whether or not whether this actually works. Sometimes games fail to generate planets - just hangs there - and so I have to restart again.

Click-Drag glitch
    Later, if I can get into the game, there will sometimes be a weird ui interaction - usually on a click-and-drag. The click and drag will no longer release and all keyboard events are ignored. It's weird and frustrating. Causes a game restart.

---

The first two problems feel very much like race conditions in code. I'm not sure if they've already been reported or not. The second feels like something might be happening in the underlying ui system that gets PA's state confused. No idea - just gut guesses. Figured I'd throw it out here first.
    tg230 and shootall like this.
  2. superjag24

superjag24 Member

The click-and-drag issue is actually caused by the U.I. crashing when you're in the middle of a selection. (bug FS#3765) The selection box continues to animate, but the underlying logic is gone.
  3. sechastain

sechastain Member

When restarting the game, if the generating planets sigil isn't spinning, I quit the game and restart again.

Never seems to load if that guy stops spinning.
  4. sechastain

sechastain Member

Maybe @ssx will be interested in this, too.

I've been testing this issue for the past hour or so. Just bringing up the game and clicking like crazy.

Observations:
    Selecting static structures like power and metal will not cause the problem.
    Anything that generates a menu of some sort (commands on the right or build on the bottom) will cause this problem.

Once while doing a test, I saw an odd error message come out in the logs:
    25263 01:43:53.110514 W | Argument conversion failed: Wrong type - expected Number, got Null while converting argument 2 for handler holodeck.selectMatchingUnits

During this particular session, I could never generate the problem.

In every other session I would see something like this:

The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'.
    (Details: serial 7348 error_code 10 request_code 130 minor_code 1)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
    Game removed: AppID 233250 "Planetary Annihilation", ProcID 26807
    [21:53:58.382] ERROR Unknown mouse button: 6
    [21:53:58.382] ERROR Unknown mouse button: 6
    [21:53:58.775] ERROR Unknown mouse button: 6
    [21:53:58.775] ERROR Unknown mouse button: 6
    [21:53:59.032] ERROR Unknown mouse button: 6
    [21:53:59.032] ERROR Unknown mouse button: 6
    [20726:20761:0820/215445:ERROR:raw_channel_posix.cc(139)] recvmsg: Connection reset by peer
    [20726:20761:0820/215445:ERROR:channel.cc(297)] RawChannel fatal error (type 1)
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately I already done everything I could to workaround/fix it with no success so I'm likely will spend more time on other problems for now.
  6. AyanZo

AyanZo Active Member

Story of my PA life, I've given up on multi-player as of now. I can't even do galactic war as not only do I need to restart, but I loose all battle progress.

[​IMG]
    Crash occurred in game as usual, had the screenshot app on my monitor with my task-manager.
  7. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

I'm having possibly the same issue, which is making the game unplayable. Occasionally I cannot select anything with the mouse. I searched the bugs tasklist for Linux interface issues and didn't see anything outstanding. Should I create a new entry, or is there already one existing for it?
  8. sechastain

sechastain Member

If the keyboard is still responsive, try to hit F5.

They have a fix in place that mooostly works. This problem has had much less occurrence for me since the fix was rolled out last week.

Before the fix, keyboard went inactive, too.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The deal is, the bug used to cause all of coherent to close as well as the game. Reguardless of how small the error.

Now, that is prevented. Small errors are continued. Linux can see a full game without any problems usually, unlike before.

However, the errors themself still happen, and hitting f5 if responsive will reload UI, new UI means error fixed. Usually an error will never cause an issue though, you just happen to find one. If frequent, feel free to share here and bugtracker!