3 questions regarding naval play.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, August 18, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Thread title really says it all, I've got 3 questions regarding naval.

1: Why does naval still have wreckage?
    Naval was the one unit type that was truly effected by wreckage, the one unit type that should have lost wreckage, didn't. Why?

2: Would you (Uber) consider naval to be an orphaned/unwanted feature?
    Quite simply, it hasn't been changed or altered nearly as much as any of the other units and is still practically in its beta state. That combined with the fact that it was a stretch goal to begin with give it this feeling of it being unwanted.

3: If so, why? (if not, ignore)
    I understand that naval isn't as fun/easy to program and make as land/air units are, but is there any other reason for you not really wanting naval in the game?

These are my questions three, won't you please answer me? ^^
    tatsujb, drewsuser, cmdandy and 4 others like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Such bait.
    cwarner7264 and spittoon like this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Call it what you will, but have you seen the state naval's in?
  4. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

who needs naval with dox and slammers ^^
    drewsuser and ArchieBuld like this.
  5. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

There are so many ways to properly balance naval just look at RCBM or Statera
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

This is yet another reason why version 1.0 should be delayed. Naval is a big part of the game, especially when someone's base is on a coast.

As for the wreckages, i believe they should sink, eliminating pathing issues.
    Nicb1, cmdandy, spittoon and 2 others like this.
  7. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

They should just give dox and slammers the ability to traverse under water, but not be able to shoot while underwater. This would give submarines a further reason to exist (as I noticed that naval boats can now shoot bots underwater, which just doesn't make sense) but would still give Bots the added mobility/advantage that tanks don't have, further differentiating them, but not clashing with naval balance.

[EDIT] - you could also give submarines sonar which allows only submarines to detect bots underwater. Otherwise the bots go undetected while submerged. This would give the bots an added advantage for surprise attacks if there are no submarines, or if you have no submarines alternatively you would need to add walls to your base to stop surprise bot attacks. This would also deter people from spawning near water unless they plan on going early naval. At the moment spawning near water gives you the added advantage of using water later if it suits. The change I am proposing gives you a risk/reward decision to make when choosing a spawn location.

@BradNicholson - I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this idea?
    Last edited: August 20, 2014
    bodisoneu, Fr33Lancer and spittoon like this.
  8. balsamicninja

balsamicninja Member

I have it on good word that next patch all ships vision will be tripled and their range almost doubled. They will also be able to fire at orbital and move on land.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Naval is an area where I'm concerned that if Uber doesn't at least make it passable, there won't be anything to fix with modding either. The foundation just won't be there.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

RCBM and Statera have made nice strides, both of us have made naval have very fast speeds, but slow acceleration. Similar to real ships.
    Remy561 likes this.
  11. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Well im actually a bit more calm since i heard metabolical say in the stream with TLO that there will be another pass on naval.
    spittoon and optimi like this.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Not really, I modded it, never looked back.

Really, naval CAN be really cool, the only thing it needs is some variety and creativity. It already has a neat theme, naval does, the extended range helps it's limitations and the scale of it being larger and slower is neat.

In my opinion, demonstrated in my mod, naval is missing roles. It needs fast and slow units, I kept the ship and gave it repair boats, I also added multilayer attacking raiders and limited-layer naval-killing skirmishers. I put a little bit of different AA. I diversified the 2 large ships. I integrated teleporters, astraeus, and mines on water. All that makes a naval-only game, or three worlds with webs of land/water, very playable.

I think Uber could make it better. Uber could make a new teleporter for naval only (so land and water can't link) and make only similar teleporters link. Uber could add even more unit diversity than I even did. Also, they are doing another pass on it. So you can only keep faith in that it will get better until you have evidence otherwise.
    Remy561 and muhatib like this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Mines were a part of naval before they were even on land. :p
  14. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

alright. lightning round:

1: i think we removed it in the latest build.

2. nope. it's just really hard to get right, and we're still working towards that goal. i reckon naval has seen more work than any other unit type in the game. it just hasn't appeared that way to the wider community for several reasons (i.e. ya'll don't have much fun with it, even post-fix / balance). we'll get there.

3. you know, we really want naval to be fun. submarines didn't work out obvs, but we want there to be a reason to use it and in the process have a good time.
    tatsujb, Remy561, melhem19 and 2 others like this.
  15. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

You can change the balance, but @GoodOak's point still sticks. When experimenting with naval it became painfully obvious that it has yet to see enough love. Little things like the uber cannon being almost useless underwater, and large units (ships) spending most of there time bumbling around. The list goes on and a lot of small issues transform into a bigger problem.
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.
  16. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Will subs be in the game still?!
    cmdandy likes this.
  17. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

they might come back. never say never.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Is it bad that the uber cannon is broken in the water? In TA the D-Gun only worked when the commander was on land or in shallow water. It forces you to play a little differently in the water, but that can make things interesting. The Uber cannon is in the game to keep you from losing immediately to a t1 rush. With the speed of naval, that's much less of a concern in the water than it is on land. Assuming Dox lose their ability to shoot while in the water, that is.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You didn't.
  20. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

It's not the end of the world, it's just a little irritating. My point is that when a bunch of small irritating things add up, the fun just fades away.
    stuart98 likes this.