So it's 2 days left until Retail-Release....

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by exterminans, August 14, 2014.

1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Nordic Games still claims that the game is going to be released at Sep 05 2014.

And there is apparently still so much to do in PA, just too meet the Kickstarter goals and to get game fully functional as it is.
    Not even to mention the lack of various comfort features, a stable balancing or a more polished and diverse gameplay experience.

Source: http://www.nordicgames.at/de/index.php/product/planetary_annihilation

(Not going to post this in the public forums. Discussions are already heated enough thanks to the latest patch.)

PS:
    Bonus for german speakers: http://www.nordicgames.at/de/index....nnihilation_coming_to_retail_via_nordic_games
    Did you know that Nordic Games and Uber originally intended to deliver retail version of PA by flying drones?

EDIT: Looks like the game ISN'T going to be released on September 5th, even though this date is spread throughout the Internet.
    Last edited: August 16, 2014
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

this might or might not be accurate. the Devs did not announce anything about the release date yet, as far as i know.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. exterminans

4. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

5. exterminans

Seems like Nordic Games "reasoned" them to bring forward the release date.

That's no good. Nordic Games did this more than just once, rushing the release in favor of certain holidays, and causing the release of an unfinished product in return.

There is no way that Uber is going to finish the game in 3 weeks. It's going to be finest banana-ware. And it's going to cause a public **** storm.

Both server and client are still crashing frequently. Gameplay features are incomplete. Modding isn't a first class citizen yet (3rd party software required to activate mods...). Balancing is not only not stable yet, half a dozen unit roles are completely missing.

And now they are also moving, which means they are about to loose approximately a full week.
  6. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

what about steam, the Uber store, ext.

i hope someone of devs answer is riddle.
  7. exterminans

It's still marketed as early access on these platforms, that's the difference.

If this date is right, then it is going to ship to retail on that date - without the early access disclaimer.

Having it published by Nordic Games - well let's say that doesn't make it exactly better. They have a name of publishing games in a rather unpolished state.

But I agree that devs should really come forward on that topic. Because when they are going to do that date, then they will need support from the existing player base if they don't plan on getting stomped by a flood of angry retail customers.

Last thing they could possibly want is a **** storm like it happened with X Rebirth (or "X Stillborn" like customers called it on release).
  8. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I'm not really concerned frankly
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. exterminans

Seriously?...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJQLQG4/
    Yep, that's pre-order for the collectors edition.

And it looks like Uber totally forgot to tell Nordic Games that arbitrary chosen date of "Sep 05 2014" isn't going to be actual release date.
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

some companies just want dates and something set. Uber doesnt really care about that sort of thing, probably just did it to get them off their backs. I like Ubers system, work until the game is awesome, kinda like what we have from blizzard where they will without second thought push back the date if the game isnt 'ready'
    badfucatus likes this.
  11. nixtempestas

I'd be far more concerned about this little tidbit
    Platform: Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / XP

Vista support is dicey at best and XP is non-existent.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Client and server both rarely crash when I play. I have played crash-ier games before. I would argue in my experience, Minecraft is as crashy.

Gameplay features are in a stable ecosystem. A lot of features got pumped into a freshly developed engine, and just like Ubisoft's engine for Assassin's Creed, the first one you "publish" may not have multiplayer or more than 4 weapons...

Modding does NOT require 3rd party software. Technically, the game has the same modding support Minecraft had at launch. It did NOT have a mod manager or modloader or forge library/api. It did have a folder for mods that it was capable of reading over/alongside vanilla game files. It doesn't REQUIRE 3rd party software, but 3rd party software does a GREAT job at managing and removing technical knowledge from modding. I usually just change my own json.

Balance is not stable but it really isn't in a lot of games even of the same genre. Starcraft constantly balances and adds unit roles. It is more balanced because of the super huge buttclenching effort into it, but even other games have sheer favoratism balance. Balance occurs from the input of the playerbase after the matter anyway. If tournaments start to suck because of one-track strategies being unavoidable, they will make a player mod and wala, that dox won't be so overpowered anymore.
    Last edited: August 15, 2014
    drz1, cdrkf and squishypon3 like this.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

All the info I've seen for PA explicitly says it doesn't support XP. Vista is a problem for AMD users as AMD have decided to drop their drivers support on that platform (Interestingly they also don't support windows 8, only 8.1). Having said that PA does support Linux so users on old operating systems can get access to the game for no extra cost (just requires a bit of HDD space). Another user on here with an old AMD card (no longer support on any platform) has been able to get PA running much better by installing xubuntu on his machine so it is very much possible.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well said- PA has problems however I don't think it's nearly as bad as many think. The main things are to get the server running a bit better again, and sort out the client on Mac / Linux a bit better. The balance is getting better as well, the latest PTE had a subtle nerf to dox that makes them much less dominant. If they need adjusting further it probably only requires a very small adjustment as the latest tweak makes them pretty close to tanks, nerfing them much more is liable to put them back in the 'useless' category.
  15. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...
    I sincerely hope they pull off a smooth launch, though. If they really manage to establish PA as a sort of game engine/platform that would make me far happier than PA being a good game in and of itself. But for that they need a whole lot more time and money. Fingers crossed.
    drz1 and cdrkf like this.
  16. nixtempestas

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJQLQG4/
  17. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I thought the game would be released in early 2015 :p

PA is nowhere near ready enough to get released in september :p False Advertising I say! XD
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

None of that is a ringing endorsement. It does show you that, when you make a game, it either is stable and built on a pre-existing 8 year old engine from a multi million dollar developer, or it is a little "colorful" but powerful and unique even though built by a much more humble company. The things people want from PA, especially something as tricky as stability, are something you are truely asking for 5 years for.

Really, stability is the worse too. Money doesn't buy stability, you don't know what code does until you run code and see a problem. Stability is bought through perserverence and time. You must spend actual time constantly revising and revising and fixing problems for years, and every new scripting requires the additional timespan of revision afterwards, so NOBODY should have expected flawless stability.

I have had no problems with stability recently though. A single simulation pause and a persistent UI derp in a game recently is all. Like I said, I had minecraft do that to me recent enough to recall as well.
  19. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Just for what it's worth here, TA was a mess when it released too. That was prehistoric internet days but it wasn't until the Core Contingency expansion that it was awesome. And now? Who plays TA without a ton of mods? And SupCom had some pretty dicey performance until Forged Alliance replaced it.

I expect the same from PA - really rough release, 2 or 3 major expansions that deliver the goods eventually, and a ton of mod community support in the long term. I hope this works out for Uber in the long run. I'm not sure it did work for Cavedog or Gas Powered.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

This this this.

As well as all that being incredibly true and overlooked, everyone seems to forget the terrible balance of OTA as well.

>INB4 Samson/Slasher spam