Teleporter Cost (tldr: the Teleporter is way too cheap)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, August 16, 2014.

1. superjag24

superjag24 Member

I know, that's why I suggested it. That way we could have drop pods and the unit cannon all in one!
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Why raise it? I think it's fine as is. Why price in comparison to factories? It's not a factory and the units that pass through it have been payed for already. you also need two- So it's not instantaneous. And the second is most likely in a hostile area so needs a low build time.

How often do you see them built in single planet maps? Having to build 100 transports or whatever you propose is pretty tedious. And how you plan on if to work? Just pick a place and they go there? Build 3 of them and 3 vgs and it's gg.
    Quitch, cdrkf, LmalukoBR and 2 others like this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

which simply needs to be fixed, make building and ordering 100 transports (single and multi in the future) less tedious
    igncom1 likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like the operating costs could be greatly increased.

That and removing the option for orbital fabbers to build them.

And fix the orbital transport so they can be used more easily.
    brianpurkiss, squishypon3 and MrTBSC like this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't see why people think the Astraeus is tedious.

Auto build a bunch of them and use area commands.

The biggest issue is the Astraeus taking their time to get into neat rows.
    drewsuser and igncom1 like this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Why do people keep making balance threads outside the balance forum? Why do people keep asking for unit cannons (or in this case, unit cannons in disguise)?

In truth though, your thread title is misleading. You acknowledge that this won't be possible without drop pods, which is what you really want. This is a thread about drop pods that would cause teleporters to need to be cheaper, not a balance thread about teleporters.
    Quitch, jamiem, bradaz85 and 2 others like this.
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

they are tedious in being used more times or for multiple transisions between the same destinations as for every transition you have to give them a new order ... factoryassist and ferryfunction fix that .. as for traveltime ... eh that´s a neccesary evil ...
    also building austreuses quickly is time and very cost intensiv with both the cost of multiple orbital launchers and the austreus itself ...
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually this is a legitimate thread, I know because we were talking about teleporter cost in the NOVA teamspeak when setting up the tourney, so yeah.. alliby. ^^;
  10. cptconundrum

But isn't it either a balance thread that belongs in the balance forum or a unit cannon thread that belongs in @reptarking's troll thread? I know it doesn't really matter for a single thread but this sort of thing keeps happening and it's usually from people that should know better.
  11. squishypon3

I agree that this should be in the balance forum, also.. I would agree more I think- but my head hurts really badly and my bodies all sore and stuff. Basically.. I feel really sick, so yeah- can't think up anything atm.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  12. cptconundrum

Have soup! And tea! And nap!

Hope you feel better soon.
  13. squishypon3

Had some raman noodles earlier, helped with the sore throat. I might go make some more in a bit.

Also, thanks. :D
  14. brianpurkiss

The thing is, teleporters have issues. You can't fix teleporters without introducing new mechanics.

You can't tweak one thing without tweaking others or introducing new things.

This is not a thread about the unit cannon as the unit cannon is a completely different thing. The benefits of a unit cannon is that the unit cannon would be cheaper and easier to keep on flooding units in since drop pods are a one time use.

This is indeed a thread about teleporters. But it is a thread about multiple things.

The simple fact of the matter is, teleporters are too cheap. You can build a teleporter in nothing flat and instantly transport units anywhere.

Teleporters shouldn't be buildable in hostile areas. Teleporters should be built for long term logistics.

The ability to instantly transport units anywhere you want is a very powerful thing. That ability should not be cheap/easy.

I'm not really talking about single planet maps. But since you bring them up, I wouldn't be surprised if a teleporter meta game springs up.

Build a teleporter right outside an enemy base and suddenly a hundred units come through with no warning? VERY powerful strategy. I've had it used on me and it is devastating.

And there you bring up another issue.

First off, you can already do that strategy with the Astraeus.

Second, you illustrate one of the many issues with upgraded T2.
  15. robber364

robber364 Member

What if we made it really ******* expensive, but able to teleport units without a receiving gate?
    spittoon likes this.
  16. squishypon3

I played a game where I defeated every enemy by sneaking an orbital fab over their base and building a tele right in the center. :D
  17. brianpurkiss

Exactly! Such a great strategy.

I want to try some similar strategies. Build a teleporter in your base and have your units queued to go through it. Then send multiple groups of fabbers (bot, air, orbital, doesn't matter) to multiple sides of the enemy base and build a teleporter. If you have several fabbers in each group, the teleporter will be built very quickly and now there's a massive army right next to the enemy's base.

It'd be a devastating attack.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

19. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

Make a nuke is damn expensive, the teleporter is fine.....
  20. brianpurkiss

The Nuke is already crazy expensive. It costs 86,400 metal.

That's as much as 576 T1 tanks or 57 Vanguards or 1920 Doxes.

There's almost no point in building nukes right now. You're better off building something else.

To combat the whole nuking the teleporter thing, we should make an anti-nuke vehicle and/or satellite.

We really need that one way or another anyways.
    muhatib and igncom1 like this.