[GUIDE] Getting your mod on PAMM

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Raevn, December 30, 2013.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

It looks like you've got the right one forked - the repo didn't change when the clients did - and the current client pull request looks about right.

Just running ListGenerator will update mods in user_mods, for backwards compatibility. If you use the 'add' command a new entry will be put in based on the modinfo in your zip file, and subsequent runs will leave it alone (barring 'remove', or calling 'add' again to update that entry)
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You mean this is right then? Because this is what it generated, and while I think the part it added was right, I don't think the list is right.

I understand how to add, just not the master list which to add it to. This list is in the github, and when running that command of listgenerator I still get this file, and mine is added, but I don't see a single other server mod.

It is a txt file because the forums wouldn't upload a json.

Attached Files:

3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Er, yeah, something is pretty odd. The file you posted is missing the outer array and the indentation level to go with it, plus everything seems to be in a different sort order, so I can't diff it effectively with text-based tools.

I got a little confused with some the recent pull requests; looking at your github fork, it's about two months behind, and it's been a very busy two months. You should always pull the lastest changes from the main repo before starting to make updates. I don't know what you've got locally, but it's probably easier to drop the one commit you've got rather than try to mess around with rebasing, although the merge may be able to handle a single file add okay.
  4. thetrophysystem

Thats the point lol. I just got permissions for this github literally yesterday I believe. So I noticed everything being 2 months behind, I just have no clue... what, do I delete the fork and attempt to clone anew? Why didn't I get the version from yesterday, if I cloned it yesterday? I am telling you, that's some wierd stuff I was noticing... That's why I was sure something was wrong...
  5. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

6. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

That's what I done yesterday to make a proper pull request, after being told that the former one included older previous commit from various people. Pretty sure there's a good way to handle this, which I don't know (github beginner here, as you can see :oops:).

But since you have the permission now, you don't need your fork anymore, and can commit directly, no ?
    Using "Github for windows", it should be synced easily and avoid being behind I believe.

If anyone can shed some light about this, I'm pretty sure it would help a lot of people willing to mod ;)
  7. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

I will take a look on this issue (god I hate this repo ...)
  8. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Just forked the repo without issue, except it's slow as f... because of some abuses. A fork isn't automatically updated, you have to maintain it, or delete it to recreate another one when needed. Your account has been created on June 8, like your fork.

On github website, delete your fork ( "TrophySystem/pamods.github.io.git" ) from settings page. Go back to "pamods/pamods.github.io.git" page, click the "fork" button and target your account. You should now have an up to date "TrophySystem/pamods.github.io.git" that you can clone locally.

As a member of pamods organisation, you could directly clone "pamods/pamods.github.io.git", but as a git beginner, I'm not sure it's the safest idea ;)
  9. thetrophysystem

I have all the idea in the world how to make the files required function while adding mine to it. That is why I knew something was wrong.

What github does all its own is the madness that everyone hates github for.

But yes, I will restart, hopefully get a fresh folder that is up to date.

BTW, I only had this folder in my github literally for two days. I don't know what june 2 dates back to >.<
  10. Fr33Lancer

Post not directed at anyone in particular (since I'm quoting ;))

Thing is, it's a lot more complicated (require more git/github knowledge) to submit/update a mod when not a member. :(

First time I submitted something, I didn't know about Listgenerator.exe (readme didn't mention this step for non-member), so I edited modlist.json manually and forgot a } or a ,
    That literrally broke PAMM when someone accepted the pull request hours after (my plain fault).
    And it was a hassle to submit a new pull to fix, and if I remember correctly, @stuart98 finally fixed the derp directly.

All I'm saying with this story, is that if I had the rights at that time, I would have noticed the issue directly, and been able to push that "Revert" button in Github for Windows, or fix the issue directly.
    That would have been a 5 minutes operation top, instead of more than an hour of stress dealing with a remote and local fork, resulting in a bad first experience ...

Don't get me wrong, I ain't saying everyone should have the rights upfront.
    Just stating a fact, that the process is overly complicated for beginners, and surely a showstopper for wannabe modders.
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

What you did 2 days ago, it's cloning locally your already existing 2 months old "TrophySystem/pamods.github.io.git" repository. Maybe you don't remember it, or someone else did it for you, but you forked "pamods/pamods.github.io.git" after creating your account on June 8.

Distributed revision control system tools (git/mercurial) are harder to start with than centralized revision control system (svn), but it really worth it.
  12. thetrophysystem

Ok at least now I get what is the cause of my 2 day long failure. Apparently I forked it off my own machine long ago, then cloned it to my machine. Actually, that makes sense, I did submit one before I had permissions, maybe I forked it accidentally then.

Either way, I definitely will undo that. I dislike github with a passion, but I understand the necesary evil of having group access to the same project.
  13. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Accepting a pull request is a responsibility. Before accepting one, you are supposed to check it's content, and fix whatever necessary beforehand. But it was obviously not the case with your first one ;)

But I personally don't like the pull request system implementation on github, because it force me to create a fork when I would like to just have to clone the original repository and submit my patch for approval.

The real problem is managing the modlist on pamods.github.io repository. It was a good quick & dirty solution to distribute mods, but it will not last long. But without a timeline from Uber for their own mod manager, I really don't know if implementing a dedicated server solution would worth it.

Ps: "github for windows" is crap :p They try to oversimplify something which isn't.
  14. Fr33Lancer

Well, I can't blame anyone than myself on this one, we can't expect a 24/24h presence and character checks from part time volunteers ;)

First used it on with command lines on Ubuntu, but ditched my virtual machine some time ago.
    Anyway, I ended using its integrated Git Shell ("git fetch upstream" & "git merge upstream/master") but since it includes commits which are post-fork/clone and pre-pull, it's useless.
  15. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

You can't expect ah 7/7 24/24 presence to merge your pull request, but, when it's done, you should expect it has been fully checked. That the main purpose of this system on all open source projects.

In fact, you are supposed to make a branch for each pull request individually. Then you can safely maintain your master up-to-date. Or you make a new fork for each pull request.
    The branch/fork can be ditch out after the pull request has been merged.

Sadly, with the 170MiB history, cloning pamods.github.io is a pain. Even with a depth of 1 it's about 80MiB :\
  16. thetrophysystem

I added NavalReduxIcons client side mod and the NavalRedux icon that will show up in PAMM. However, I did not submit modslist2, want to make sure it is in agreement that it is correct.

EDIT: No, it isn't, did I mess up download URL? It didn't work but it stated the navalreduxicons had a 404 error...

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 13, 2014
  17. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Why did you remove all the source code from "TrophySystem/NavalRedux" to replace it by a ZIP :eek:
  18. thetrophysystem

Source code? I linked a zip on github storing my mod. However, it didn't work, PAMM kept saying the zip was corrupt like the download link is a flop. Any ideas? If you have any idea on how to fix the download link or whatever else may be wrong, lmk in 15 minutes before I simply remove it from pamm modslist2 because I don't want a broken download.

EDIT: Oh you mean the NavalRedux github, I told you I am terrible with github. My github for my mod, tried just a zip just so I had a link TO the zip, then unzipped, then one of each. Still doesn't help PAMM download through the link :(
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*Sigh* I'll take care of it.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  20. thetrophysystem

Thanks, either tell me here what exactly I did wrong but I will probably figure out what I did when I see your commit.

I just can't for the life of me figure it out. But. Did you want permissions for TrophySystem/NavalRedux? In case you need access to the download link or whatever?