Performance makes game unplayable

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jorisk, August 10, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I've shouted at walls before. I managed to sway one's opinion once, this is worse than yelling at a wall.
    websterx01 likes this.
  2. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

3. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

There won´t be any discussion till you´ve done what all around here want you to do!
    So, go ahead and follow those steps first!
    We can discuss later on...
  4. marve

marve New Member

If what you're saying had any truth in it then AMD and NVIDIA would probably be broke by now and everybody would just use integrated graphics to play their games but this is not about client performance, it's about server/network performance issues which have nothing to do with your local system.

You're the first guy I see bragging with integrated graphics though lol.
    Geers likes this.
  5. jorisk

jorisk Member

NP, i'll get back to you with all the info once i have played a game, atm i don't have time.

But it still doesnt add up. The PA website says "
    NO LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR
    Client-server asynchronous technology allows games to offload much of the gameplay heavy lifting to the server, so your game isn’t held back by the slowest machine in your game."

Don't get me wrong. I will upload tech stuff soon but it doesn't explain that everyone in the server is lagging as hell.
  6. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

squishypon3 didn´t specified which iGPU! I don´t think it´s an Intel-iGPU (at least my Intel HD 4K got heavy graphic bugs and no performance in PA), it´s proberbly a VLIW4- or even GCN-based iGPU! (AMD richland or even Kaveri)
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Why are you ignoring the people trying to help you?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. aggie2016

aggie2016 Member

I bet the majority of the people on this forum would disagree that the game is "simply unplayable". If you are having performance difficulties, show us your dxdiag and please provide additional IMPORTANT information like:
    - The amount of RAM in your system
    - Your BANDWIDTH speed from your ISP (which can be fatal to your performance if it is too low)
  9. forrestthewoods

I appreciate the folks trying to help out but when it comes to performance threads the only thing that matters is the info that I've requested. Which JorisK has already said he will come back and post. If I had my way I would nuke any post in any performance thread that didn't include a LobbyID.

"NO LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR"

Games like Supreme Commander are peer-to-peer synchronous. This means the game can run only as fast as the slowest connection and slowest computer in the p2p network. If you have 7 people with badass super rigs and 1 guy with a 7 year old laptop well guess what? Everyone runs the game as slowly as the laptop. It significantly limits what you can do.

Planetary Annihilation is client-server. Each player has an experience that is as good as their computer and the server they are connected to. Other players have zero impact.

However if the server is running slow then the game is going to be slow for everyone. The Sim tries to run at 10 frames per second. If it runs slower than that then it's gonna feel like a slide show. Right now some things are making the Sim run slower than it should. I'd tell y'all what it was but anyone who has taken screenshots of the Sim debug perf panel should already know.

Suffice to say I'm working on it. Actually right now I'm not. I'm posting words on our forum. But when I'm not distracted by trying to get people to post LobbyIds (spoiler: no on does) I'm actively working to make things better.
  10. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

If there was a simple "report" button in the lobby that autofill all the infos you need, it would be far more easier for everybody, and you would probably have far more good reports than now.
    lokiCML likes this.
  11. forrestthewoods

I agree.

I'd also like to see a "bug ping" where players can just ping on the map when and where something bad happens. Tank get stuck? Fabber stop fabbing? Commander refuse to move? Use the bug ping! It'd be great. Alas we are doing the best we can with the limited resources available to us. Maybe it will happen on a future project, but it's too late for PA. Oh well.

There are changes coming down the pipe such that the LobbyId is visible when the debug stats panel is up. I can wrestle screenshots out of you guys sometimes so the new strategy is to have a screenshot include as much data as possible.
  12. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Just a easiest way to get the lobby id would be nice.

As the lobby is a basically a webpage, maybe a button "I had a problem with my last game!" (+description), that fill the game uid automatically is possible without too much developping time?
  13. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Sorry to distract you from your keyboard tickling. is it possible to add it in a future update post release like a PA support enhancement patch or is it something that have to be done during an engine overhaul like PA 2.0? Again sorry. Just curious.;)
    kjotak109 likes this.
  14. japporo

japporo Active Member

@forrestthewoods

Regarding the instructions for reporting performance issues, are there any alternate ways to recover the LobbyID? The one time I've had a PA slowdown issue, it was so severe that I had to terminate the program in order to regain control over the computer.
  15. forrestthewoods

In the current build it's available in the top right corner. I'll update the how to post.

At some point soon this will probably be hidden by default and appear top-center when the debug panel is up. It's just a little ugly and sloppy. Fine for Early Access. Not fine for a polished 1.0.

upload_2014-8-11_12-32-37.png
    jeffwadsworth and lokiCML like this.
  16. japporo

japporo Active Member

Cool, thank you. For PTE builds, even post-1.0, it might be worth considering having that on by default.
  17. jorisk

jorisk Member

Allrighty, tonight i had time to play with my mate, so we did.

Map: 2 planets, both scale 4
    Players: 2x2x2x2

My specs:
    Intel I5 Ivey bridge
    8 GB DDR3
    Geforce GTX780
    Graphicsettings: everything on Uber, no advanced tweaks as i don't understand anything of it
    Inet speed: 90Mbit down, 10Mbit up

We (=everyone)noticed lag already after 5 minutes, and after 7 minutes it almost became unplayable. Some people simply left without saying anything.

I uploaded everything here:
    http://www.kemperman.nl/palogs/

Look at the chatlogs after just 5 minutes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Will your graphics driver is out-of-date by six months four days. PA is highly sensitive to driver be up-to-date. This would have major performance issues caused by it. Make sure your graphics are always up to date.;)
    driver update -> http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/77224

Everything you provided will help them make specific optimizations for GTX 780 and it will also help them improve the networking and server. So thank you.:)

Edit: missing "sim" screenshot control-P so this information about the server.:(
    Last edited: August 11, 2014
  19. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Well one think you can do if you wanna stop some lag, is to ask me to stop using the patrol command. i wish there was an option temp at least to disable atm. When people does that on a planetary scale it just WRECKS performance. like it can literally cut performance in half.

game should almost have a ingame send feedback to uber, like you can send all they need right there ingame while its lagging. that would be amazing, hopefully post launch.
  20. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Still missing necessary data.

Hopefully Forrest can still track this down.