launcher password error

Discussion in 'Support!' started by spittoon, August 9, 2014.

1. spittoon

spittoon Member

key was activated about an hour ago, but launcher rejects user name and password

"lost user name or password?" link appears to work, as it allows me to enter my addy, but after three attempts, launcher never sends reset email

all email folders have been searched both manually and via global search

graceful shutdown, restart... same result, darn it

any ideas?

i was a TA obsessive for many years, then migrated to SupComm, but i've never found anything that scratched that old school TA itch... just found PA early this am!
  2. spittoon

spittoon Member

doublechecked my uber acct info... all correct

however, email shows as 'unverified', so i clicked on it and pretended to change it... then clicked on 'save' and the server successfully emailed me the verification for me to click on

which opened a page showing my correct addy, where i entered my password and clicked on 'confirm'

but it never moves past that point... showing no errors, no throbber activity

tried it in both firefox and chrome

and the email remains 'unverified'

(edit: if i actually change it to an old email, it works perfectly... and when i changed it back, it worked perfectly i'm now verified)

so... i'm still not sure why the launcher username and pw errors out

crap, i have all day tomorrow to mess around in PA, but it doesn't look like...

edit: am i supposed to copy/paste the key code somewhere in the launcher? i purchased through Uber, not Steam
    Last edited: August 10, 2014
  3. spittoon

spittoon Member

still trying to work on the launcher/pw puzzle...

today, i typed my email addy instead of my in-game nickname in the user id field, then my password

but still no joy

can anyone verify that the launcher wants my email and pw, not nickname and pw?

i revisited the key instructions again, and it certainly looks activated

but... the instructions specifically say "You activate the key and download the game by entering the code at "(link to store/pa wasn't allowed by forum)"

i never manually copy/pasted that 10 letter key anywhere, but the server allowed me to d/l the launcher after saying "Congrats! Your copy of PA is activated and ready to play"

is this a trouble ticket issue, do you believe... or just a screw-up on my part?
  4. suketchi

suketchi Member

There lies your problem.
    For the game login you must use the name of your account not the nickname you had choose for the game. ;)
  5. spittoon

spittoon Member

darn...

here's my acct info:
    USER INFO
    USERNAME: spittoon
    DISPLAY NAME: spittoon

so, it's not my email in the launcher, it's my 'username' which makes sense

which i tried all day yesterday, failed each time

only today i tried my email, but of course that failed too

leaving only my pw as the issue, i suppose

however, i'm able to sign in and out of my uber acct with no issues, so i assume that's okay, right?
  6. spittoon

spittoon Member

AND I'M IN!

maybe there's a brute force protect lockout after a few too many attempts, so after a full cold shutdown...

I'M IN!
  7. spittoon

spittoon Member

and now i'm locked out of the launcher again! even after a cold restart

i had gotten in once, d/led the 109gb update, progressed as far as the lobby, began the tutorial (heard the voice of the tutorial-er) then the tutorial disappeared and the lobby was locked tight

i restarted, and now i'm locked out

i will try the pw reset link again, now that i've been in once... i have my fingers crossed this time
  8. spittoon

spittoon Member

it's a cert problem!

i bypassed the launcher and ran the executable... up popped this error msg

[​IMG]

well, crap

at least i can watch the tutorial while i'm waiting for support to diagnose this
  9. spittoon

spittoon Member

to recap:

launcher user id and pw always fails without any information about the error

when i bypass launcher and run the executable, and enter my username and pw, this time a helpful error msg (posted above) complains about a cert problem

i get cert messages intermittently in browsers, so this makes sense

can anyone recommend a way to check certs on my own pc?
  10. spittoon

spittoon Member

nice! someone out there created a TT for me!

thank YOU!

even though i'm unable to log in from the exec, i'm still able to fool around with the UI, clicking on single player and messing with planet systems... i made a giant moon!

of course whenever i click on 'go to war', it fails and gently places me back at the beginning UI

i love how much it reminds me of TA!
  11. spittoon

spittoon Member

slightly different executable (not launcher) error msg this am:

[​IMG]

i will try the full shutdown and restart again, because it let me in that one time yesterday
    Last edited: August 11, 2014
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Have you any strange keys in your password? I remember back in alpha I couldn't use "." Maybe you have a similar problem.
  13. spittoon

spittoon Member

nope... straight alphanumeric

it's got to be ssl related... of course the launcher never pops up any helpful error messages but i had the idea of running the executable on sunday, which has always returned a helpful error msg

so far since saturday, the launcher has only 'passed' me twice in more than a dozen restart and cold start attempts... on day one and again this am

the executable has 'passed' me one time, on sunday, but not since

i'm attempting to get another older, weaker pc to try access, just to see if it's really a ssl issue

edit: crap, the older, weaker laptop is now in a restart 'cycle of death' since updating drivers and dx, and not even F2, F4, F8 and F10 will bring anything up
    well, it was just an ancient dell, so... no big deal
    Last edited: August 11, 2014
  14. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Do you have any antivirus/firewall software? They can execute SSL scanning which can result in UberNet connection failure. For more info, see this topic:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/

You may need to add PA.exe and CoherentUI.exe to the antivirus/firewall whitelist or disable the antivirus/firewall completely in order to login.
    spittoon likes this.
  15. spittoon

spittoon Member

it's a kaspersky subscription, so i will add those to the whitelist... thank you!

btw... my system has got the exact right time in the bios and in the windows clock, down to the second

it is exactly right hour, minute, second, AM / PM month, day, and year... absolutely correct

system time being incorrect = the most common ssl error-creator, from what i'm reading
  16. spittoon

spittoon Member

holy cow... after the whitelist additions and a reboot, i'm in again!

at least i'm in through the executable, i haven't tried the launcher

i did see the launcher setup already mysteriously in the whitelist, but not the launcher itself

i'll report back!

i'll keep the support ticket open for a while longer, after a couple of days of experimentation!

edit: launcher now whitelisted, but didn't reboot, and still locked out

and surprisingly, the exec locked me out again, darn it

i'll reboot and test both again

edit edit: after reboot... launcher success! first time since sunday!
    currently 'checking manifest'! i'll test the exec next
    Last edited: August 13, 2014
  17. spittoon

spittoon Member

kjotak cracked the case!

for the first time, i've been able to login into the launcher, then log into the executable, all during the same session!

thank you, kjotak... i owe ya a beer
    kjotak109 likes this.
  18. kjotak109

No problem...:cool:

I'm glad that you fixed the log-in error.
    spittoon likes this.
  19. spittoon

spittoon Member

played PA for about 2 hours yesterday... single player against AI, got creamed each time!

one time, at band camp... AI threw a moon at me! I had no idea what had happened, i had to watch the replay before i realized what that big flash was... rat bastard!

the look and feel is so familiar! thank you, devs!

still some kind of a SSL issue... whenever i reboot, i'm able to sign in all the way to the exe, but quit/exit and re-login in always fails

a full reboot always fixes it, but not a win7 'switch user' and not a win7 'logoff' and log back in

strange, but certainly not a dealbreaker for me!
  20. kjotak109

You can reduce the AI's strength by changing its economy multiplier to 0.5 or less. I do that every time I play against the AI so that I can get used to the game's mechanics.

Still having the SSL issue? You can try uninstalling the Kaspersky antivirus just to test it. Do you have any other software that interferes with SSL connections besides the antivirus?