How do Ultra-Super Intelligent Humans think?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by phlogistinator, August 6, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

The problem with IQ is there is no solid evidence that it's anything other than a qualitative figure. It is very difficult to get a true quantitative analysis of human intelligence.

While Geers was perhaps harsher than I would be, he's not far wrong. It's the intellectual equivalent of e-peen comparisons about your gamer score.
  2. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

I can`t possibly see how i did that, your words not mine. And an IQ test test`s a lot of your human skills one of them are the opportunity too see signs , see the connection not to mention to fantasize about something unknow, like a picture, you might see a star, but others might fantasize about what`s in them and fantasize about what its made of, IQ s do indeed count as an intellect test.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You want to quantify something? You have to define it first. Define human intelligence. Good luck with that.

If you want to count how many apples you have you have to know what an apple is.
  4. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

The everything about space, every fact, every single known thing in the unvivers are not true. you cant just figure it out stright away, but this is a good start no?
  5. Geers

I don't understand you're reasoning here.
  6. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

define anything. something, anything.
  7. Geers

One second: The duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom at rest at 0K.
    cwarner7264, optimi and garat like this.
  8. garat

We have to assume a baseline for quantifying anything. Going by observable phenomena that we can measure is a reasonable place to start.

If you want to get into a discussion about the reality of consciousness and the universe, the ontolgy forum is that-a-way. -----> On someone else's forum.
  9. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

:) well i give. IQ test`s are dumb, i agree. Are you forreal right now? you cant discuss the universe in a game about the universe
  10. garat

Universe, sure. But if you want to talk metaphysics, please take it elsewhere. :p Pseudoscience gives me hives. No, I'm not saying I'll ban or delete posts, I just find the topic tiresome. The nature of reality can only be discerned by continuing to understand actual science.
    YourLocalMadSci likes this.
  11. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Maybe he just wants a new thread created if we want to discuss time, space, human life, and all that good stuff.
    phlogistinator likes this.
  12. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Sure, how we actually experience that reality is a whole different ball park though. (I'm not talking pseudo-science, I'm talking Camus, Sartre, Kafka and all that).

I just realised something, that ties in perfectly with the IQ is bullshit thing, because in essence it's the same thing: there's no way to quantify how (well) a person thinks.
    Last edited: August 8, 2014
  13. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Just wanned to say something off topic, if you are wondering on the picture. She reminds me of my grandmother, witch i love very much. and she smokes, cigaretts its got nothing to do with weed, and i hardly smoke any weed. just saying. Means something to me.
  14. thebigpill

Man, I mean this from the bottom of my heart, it's beautiful that you do that man. I love my grandma too man, everybody should spend time with their grandma like every week at least, they deserve it.

(PLEASE DONT DELETE THIS GARAT THIS IS MEANINGFUL)
  15. garat

Mmhmm. Whatever ya'll are smoking, it's clearly high grade.
    Gorbles, stuart98 and Geers like this.
  16. thebigpill

I like living in the Netherlands, mainly because of our proud traditions like clogs, cheese and painting white guys black and make them wear curly wigs and earrings while they do all the work for our Dutch pasty Santa-Claus.

(it's ok if you delete this, I started out reacting to you by saying I live in NL but then I went somewhere else, sorry)

this thread is cool
  17. phlogistinator

phlogistinator Active Member

O.O Good idea, I will create one in the future. :)
  18. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

On the other hand, it does correlate well with aspects of intelligence that handle logic and pattern-matching, which usually go in hand with mathematical skill (and the disassembly of other sciences to pure maths, which is possible in more subjects than most people think).

The problem is it doesn't correlate well with any other aspects of intelligence, of which there are quite a lot. I agree with the principle of what you and Geers are saying, but I would never call IQ junk or somesuch. It's a statistic. And as we know, statistics are nice to look at, but don't tell the whole story! ;)

I do consider it flawed, but I dunno, English Pedant that I am, I feel the need to go "woah woah woah now, break out the crumpets, this is quite a bit of hyperbole people are employing here!" :p
  19. Geers

But did you know that 1 in 9 statistics are made up?
    Devak likes this.
  20. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Is that the ninth, or the first? ;)