Kickstarter Vs Reality (minor thing. Hope not)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pjrm1470, August 7, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Did you read any of my posts explaining why an open world for PA would be absolutely terrible? As soon as you get behind

The only way to get it to maybe work would be to make it a persistent universe which would require tons of new mechanics and a completely different balance. It would require a lot of no attack zones, neutral zones, and stuff. It would be a COMPLETELY different game and nothing like the GW that has been advertised – since the GW that has been advertised is a single player turn based campaign that connects skirmishes.

And just because a few people here and there have posted on the forums asking for an open world doesn't mean that "everyone was thinking and hoping for." By your reasoning, the opposite would be true based on the number of comments and likes from other people backing up what I've been saying.

Edit: To take it further, you're focusing on one phrase. In the video, it says over and over that this is a campaign and compares it to other RTS campaigns. You have to look at all of the information, not just focus on one bullet line.
    drz1 likes this.
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

This PSA thread was posted October of last year. Not sure of the date of the actual quoting but one thing is clear as day:
    It explicitly says "Not a giant realtime battle space."

[Edit]
    Also for timeline sake according to this post GW was made public May of this year.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The posting date of the PSA doesn't really matter, all the info it contains come straight from proper sources unedited and if you check the quotes beside the name is a little orange arrow, click that to be taken to the post the quote was from.

Mike
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I really was just trying to note the dates in response to Uber not sharing info about GW and when they did it was only around/after the time it became public.

Oh and I didn't notice the PSA thread had the orange arrow links. Thanks
  5. KNight

Ah I see, I mean lets face facts, nothing was able to be confirmed until they released but the info they put out was consistent and did line up mostly with what ended up happening at least.

Mike
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No... Jon never expected such functionality, nor did he advertise GW as such. You're just projecting your own fantasies.

I'd also hardly call your delusional expectations "what everyone was thinking".
    stuart98 and brianpurkiss like this.
  7. pjrm1470

pjrm1470 New Member

brianpurkiss,
    You talk about the other games that it have a constant predefined!

if you hide, then i have to search for you. crap would be if the IA already know where i am. this would make the game sad for me. but as it doesn't know where i am or if i'm starting over... the IA would never suspect to be an enemy.

Whether PA become GW as i imagine... then in skirmishes, the missions would be dynamically generated as I play and as I encounter the enemy. Some default missions would be ok to be contant.

And there are rules that would be applied to the enemy to only act after an event. everything to make the game "not crappy". (As every game in skirmish are) ;)
  8. pjrm1470

pjrm1470 New Member

There are things that we imagine that could never be done, but the games are getting better and coming with features that would never be possible to our imagination. (I get the Minecraft infinite world as example (Avoid the graphics and see the engine!!!))
  9. nanolathe

What does that have to do with delusional expectations?
    websterx01 likes this.
  10. pjrm1470

pjrm1470 New Member

what would you tell me if uber manage to do "such functionality", as you said!? that's my point.
  11. nanolathe

I don't understand the question. You're asking me to just dream along with you?

Sorry, I'm a realist and an insomniac. I don't "do" dreams.
    igncom1 and stuart98 like this.
  12. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

By 1.0, or after 1.0. Also where is the source on this?
  13. nanolathe

Take a wild guess. Source is: common sense.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Definitely after, and I don't have a source, but they've mentioned that they're still doing it before.
  15. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

That is what I assumed. I guess I just missed the post where they confirmed they are still doing it.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yeah I remember when they were saying that single player gw would come out much sooner and be much different than multiplayer gw. Multiplayer probably won't have the random tech for instance... hopefully actually. o.o
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

After 1.0.

They said so somewhere on the forums back when GW came out.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. KNight

I supposed technically they haven't "Confirmed" fully in a sense, or rather it's a very "Conditional" scenario. Everything that's "Post 1.0" is basically dependent on PA being successful enough after release to allow them to work on that content and it's all on an item-by-item basis based on priority.

Mike
  19. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
  20. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Ehh before we talk about making Galactic War amazing how about we fix balance first...just an idea...
    stuart98 likes this.