Kickstarter Vs Reality (minor thing. Hope not)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pjrm1470, August 7, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yep, and that's still happening, there's going to be two separate galactic wars.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah where does it say it'll be turn by turn?
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts?page=16

From the kickstarter update back in 2012...

"
    The Galactic War is a replayable single and multiplayer metagame. Play locally by yourself or co-op with your friends against our world class Skirmish AI’s. Or play on the live multiplayer servers and try to conquer the galaxy!

Features include:
    • Procedurally generated galaxy map, play a different galaxy every time!
    • Single player and co-op for local play
    • Online multiplayer mega-battles. Join a faction and plunder the universe!
    • Clan wars servers for fighting the galactic war between clans
    • Dynamic story system that logs your fight and generates exciting counter attacks and special missions that up the challenge level"
    drewsuser likes this.
  4. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

A Solar System Is Your Playground
    Expand your empire to harness the resources of entire solar systems to create vast armies with which to annihilate enemy planets, destroy rival systems and win the Galactic War!

The above is refering to the solar systems the rts matches take place in. Not the galactic war. As far as I know as well they never intended to make it open-world, or anything but a turn based meta game. Only open world in the context that you can choose which solar system to visit next.

The only thing they did say that isn't in yet, that I'm aware of, is a multiplayer iteration of a galactic war.
  5. tatsujb

ah! that's more like it!

what now @brianpurkiss ?
  6. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

Rekt.
    drewsuser and tatsujb like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What does that have to do with having a spore like dynamic game, that'd kill your computer? :p
    brianpurkiss and stuart98 like this.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

"Live multiplayer servers" ≠ open world. It just means you play against other people online, like Civilizations V.

We play our skirmishes on live multiplayer servers. That doesn't mean it's an open world galaxy.

The trailer and verbiage compare the GW over and over to a single player RTS game. That means you progress through the different missions one at a time.
    websterx01, drz1, nanolathe and 2 others like this.
  9. pjrm1470

pjrm1470 New Member

PA without Galactic War is just the Solar System as Playground. When they introduce Galactic War, i think most of the players here will agree with me now... I expect the game to allow me to run to another system while others players are killing themselves in the actual system... and then send bombarding asteroids from another system.

This is Galactic War! "Open a new level of strategy" - that's what they said, right!? We have much more to control, much more to worry about... If in multiplayer it continues to have only a system as playground as the game release on first place... What would be Galactic War in multiplayer? and we are talking about "Real Time Strategy", not "Base Turn Strategy".
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

GW is still played in real time, though until victory (or game over) you are locked into the current system.
  11. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

12. brianpurkiss

It has never been anything like that. GW has never been a completely open world.

A completely open world simply is not playable in this style of RTS unless you have a super computer. Balance would also be absolute crap. As soon as I get 1 more system than you do, you might as well quit because my economy will quickly become so much larger than yours you won't be able to compete.

The open a new level of strategy is the strategy in the meta game of which systems to attack and which to defend. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten any of that yet. Remember, the game isn't complete.

Galactic War in multiplayer would be essentially exactly what it is right now, except with multiple people. I take my turn and attack your system. I win, I gain control of one of your systems. You take your turn and attack one of my systems. If I win, I successfully repel your invasion. If you win, I lose one of my systems.

True open world RTS over an entire galaxy sounds cool in concept, but just doesn't really work. It doesn't work because of processing power required and doesn't work because of game balance.
    drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  13. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Wow.. some people grossly overestimate what is on the cards from a small 30-person team.

Take it from a Former Vanguard who's actually spoken to Jon on the subject;
    It's a linked-skirmish metagame. Stop getting your hopes up for some kind of seamless open-world persistent RTS... thing. It's not happening.
    stuart98, drz1, igncom1 and 3 others like this.
  14. brianpurkiss

Anything beyond that sounds cool initially, but would be terrible in actual implementation.

Does it really sound fun to play Planetary Annihilation across 30 systems? Let alone 100?

Now imagine we start on the opposite ends of the system. I manage to expand faster than you and gain control of 18 systems and you only have 10. I now have a ton more economy than you and the war is won before we ever take a shot at each other. Even if economies didn't transfer between planets, I could still send armies or astroids back and forth. If we couldn't send armies or astroids back and forth we're exactly back to what GW currently is.
    drz1 likes this.
  15. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Open RTS could work, procedurally generated technology in games is getting better and better, but it would almost be impossible to handle alone, it will become far to great to fight a hole galaxy on your own, unless you could lock down a planet some way so that only a fixed number of planets would be open to attacks.
  16. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

As if 40 player games weren't enough...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

It doesn't matter if it "could" work or not. What's important is that it's not going to happen in PA...

... even with mods I highly doubt this could be done.
  18. pjrm1470

pjrm1470 New Member

Yet! who knows.

Anythink is possible if we think in solutions. The stream of resources would be limited by systems, because of the distance of each other, the stream resources could not be possible and you would have to create new resources on another system.

And answering the point... you start playing the same time as i started! this will not be unbalanced! the strategy would tell the difference between the players on the response of an attack.

PA now is a great game... i wouldn't like to see it becoming the next Civilization game like. ;)
  19. brianpurkiss

I didn't say it would be unbalanced. I said it would be absolutely crappy gameplay because the game would be decided before we ever attacked each other.

I even mentioned stream of resources limited by systems. Still wouldn't matter because I would have a steady stream of units coming to the front lines and would greatly outnumber your armies.

So put yourself into the position of losing a skirmish match. Those last few minutes where you're horribly outnumbered and are going to lose. It's just a matter of time. Now imagine that, but that exact thing is happening on the next 10+ games.

It would like playing a skirmish game where your opponent has 6 planets and you have 2 planets. Except that goes on for another several hours.
  20. tatsujb

yeah I know. the way it turned out prooved how loose the interpretation of the terminology could be.

but obviously that's what everyone was thinking and was hoping for. (and I think Uber as well, before reality caught up with expectations).
    What I'm saying is, it's never too late.