Uber Weekly Update - August 5, 2014

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, August 5, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I think it could be simpler than that.

You get one commander per conquered system. You can move each commander one system at a time. You then station commanders all over the place. Whenever there's a battle you control one of the commanders and each extra commander is a sub commander. If there are no commanders, then the system is conquered without a fight. So then the strategy is based on how many commanders you put on each system. Do you put all of them on the front lines? or do you hold some back incase you lose a battle on the front lines? If a sub commander dies in battle, then you lose that commander.
    Remy561 likes this.
  2. japporo

japporo Active Member

I'm not an expert player but my impression is that additional commanders would be a small bonus in the early game that would be outweighed by being a significant liability in the late game. Under such a model, it doesn't seem beneficial to ever commit more than one commander.
  3. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

I would hardly call being able to capture twice the territory at once a small bonus.
  4. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Galactic War...... War of the Ring from BFME II....GALACTIC CONQUEST BATTLE FRONT 1 & 2
  5. brianpurkiss

Have you played the Galactic War? Having Sub Commanders fighting alongside you is very helpful.
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

One might even say... Too helpful.
  7. brianpurkiss

Yupp.

A lot of people have said that.
  8. japporo

japporo Active Member

I have but not enough round to have received a sub-commander.

I dunno; paring it down to commanders / sub-commanders only feels too barebones. Retaining a resource aspect, as GW does now with technologies, adds some needed depth.
    Last edited: August 6, 2014
  9. brianpurkiss

I'm not suggesting removing the technologies.
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Some really nice stuff like pathfinding and server browser fixes you've listed as being on the radar. Looking forward to it.

I hope we also get ui bug fixes and improvements. Not just aesthetic polish like descriptions, but functional polish.
  11. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Food for fans...

That's how it's done !
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Just replace the word 'birds' with 'fans' in the following...

13. Gossy

Gossy New Member

I hope that those naval path finding fixes are amazing, I just made a map that was supposed to be pretty much just naval, and I had ships zigzagging (almost on the spot) to avoid nothing, quite frustrating!
  14. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Are we gonna get a tour vid of the new office? Seeing all forest's tweets about how awesome the view and how tall it is, such a teaser.
    Raevn likes this.
  15. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Hey brad, That's really good news. I do appreciate all the stuff achieved since the beginning of alpha, and i understand that at some point there are higher priorites, especially for such a "AAA" game. Yes i call PA a "AAA" when i see all the techs used in it. I know you've allready stated that we will never have the proof of concept planets quality in the real game. A few things i would like to know : is this is related to the complexity of procedural generation or just because the team could not afford to dedicate too much time to this procedural stuff because of higher other priorities ? If there's some kind of "in progress" stuff with planets, any chance to have previews ? Many of us made the assumption that the new pathfinding using voxel technics would help to handle more complex terrains. Do you confirm ? From a tech perspective, is it possible to code a planet editor that would use the procedural stuff as an intial fundation, then let the end user play with brushes to change the planets ? Would this be compatible with the current game implementation ?

Otherwise, a big big thank to the team, just because the current game has just gone beyhone my expectations. PA is obiously a very very challenging project, and i strongly doubt lots of other team could have done what you've done.