[Proposal] Bot units that gain dps while firing

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Debosse, July 29, 2014.

1. Debosse

Debosse Member

Right now with the current balance bots have no real way of dealing with vanguards without lots of micro. The proposal is simple, a bot unit with some type of laser weapon that gains damage the longer it fires (think void rays for sc2) this way the unit would be most effective against heavy units but weaker to swarms of lighter ones.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is a bandaid to the problem that is Vanguards.

Personally, I really like RCBM's burst fire units. They use the ammo system, so they have a large ammo clip and empty their ammo clips really quickly and do a lot of damage, real fast. And then they have to either pull back and reload, or they can stay in the fight and have a reduced rate of fire/dps.

I wish Uber would use some units like that.
    vyolin and epicblaster117 like this.
  3. Debosse

Debosse Member

I really need to play the RCMB. My hard drive died and I haven't been able to play for a couple of weeks. Just got a ssd though so i'm looking forward to it ^_^
  4. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

For some reason bots may stay what they are, useless or not bots are just rediculous. snipe bot walks like he sh*t hes pants, you got a monkey with a rocket launcher on hes back and walks like a drunk, and the 4 legs healing bots walks like hes unstable as hell and also got a drinking problem! Nah ill use tanks there cool and move normally. Got a hole group together and it looks like a bunch of retards on a field trip.
  5. brianpurkiss

I highly recommend RCBM! It's awesome!
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Sniper bots need collateral damage to be balanced.

For example, the sniper bot shoots something like a vanguard, but behind the vanguard there is a tank. The tank would be damaged.
  7. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I feel that should be a mechanic for fixed structures, it doesn't make any sense to put multiple holes into a unit with it not being destroyed.
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Another option that has been suggested to deal with vanguards would be giving units a chooseable retreat or fall back behavior for which units automaticaly get out of enemy fire range when in visible range or with scouts ... People argue that this would help units fullfilling their roles more without needing too much micro
  9. epic4242

epic4242 Member

Whats RBCM?
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

i hate ammo clips personally, the charge rate would be cool, but you must remember the "what you see is what you get" in this case it is critical to show how strong the dox are getting (like glowing more shiny or red or something)
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Ok, how is RCBM's solution any less of a band-aid? If they are balanced as to not be a direct counter, then how is there any issue with it?

Not picking a fight, just wondering why one is a "band-aid" and the other isn't.
  13. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Really? Some animations might not be perfect, but i like the 'pseudo-organic' unit style of bots. Puts them apart from classical warmachines like tanks.

Also reminds me of hard reset. Which is always a plus.
    Last edited: July 30, 2014
    aevs likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

It's not a bandaid because Vanguards aren't crazy OP like they are in vanilla. Vanguards have less health (if I remember correctly), but more importantly, they don't have a crazy powerful Uber cannon that is more poweful than the Commanders and doesn't consume energy. In RCBM, the Vanguard just has a plain 'ol machine gun that's a small supplement. The primary purpose of the Vanguard is to be a moving wall and soak up damage, not to have the highest effective DPS and highest HP of all units in the game. (the exception being the commander has higher HP, but less DPS)

In the vanilla balance the Vanguard is literally the most powerful unit in the game. Metal for metal, I'd rather have Vanguards than nukes, probably even Halleys.

Me bringing up the burst fire was simply a tangent because I really like that balance mechanic and your laser idea reminded me of it.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm confused because last I know, the RCBM Vanguard didn't use a clip system at all? Last I played with it l it had a was basic, "Low but constant" DPS Machine gun and it's primary role was not dealing damage as much as simply acting as a damage sponge;

Metal Cost - 1,500
    HP - 6,000
    Speed - 10 (Leveler has a speed of 14)
    DPS - 100 (20 damage x 5 shots per second)
    Range - 80

The RCBM Vanguard is still powerful for sure, but not when it comes to direct combat between it and another unit.

Mike