Poll: Polish or Clientside-Server?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thetrophysystem, July 26, 2014.

?

Poll: Polish or Clientside-Server?

1. Polish

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Clientside Server

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

voted polish.
    sure i want client in 1.0. I won't get it but I want it.

For this game to be the success I want it to be, polish (read: less bugs/bad pathfinding) will do much more efficiently.
    EdWood likes this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

You've incorrectly made the assumption that polish is optional. The poll should really be 'clientside only or delay'.

Also, please remember that Uber know a lot more about the business of making a game than we do. People saying "keep delaying it's fine" are I'm sure doing so with the best of intentions, but we only get to see what we have in front of us.

I obviously have my own concerns about having an always-online requirement at launch, but I wouldn't go as far as what some people have predicted as an outcome.

Neutrino has said in another thread that they do not predict a massive surge in sales immediately after launch - this is where most of the confusion comes from I think. Don't forget these guys have been making RTS games for a long time.
    lokiCML, FSN1977, EdWood and 2 others like this.
  3. andy06r

andy06r New Member

Hyperbole alert - I bet Sim City, Total War Rome 2, and Diablo 3 all wish they would have delayed.

There have been enough high profile PR debacles in the last few years that advocates for PA are rightly asking "What If...". Reddit has made comparisons to SMNC and "fool me once, fool me twice..."

I don't really care one way or the other, all I know is that I had a horrible connection last night during Galactic War and I even got dropped back to the main menu from a disconnect.
  4. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

What Neutrino said on one of the recent reddit things was that those disconnects are usually server crashes rather than you actually losing connection to the server. Once they fix the server crashes that won't happen. As it is, even if you were running the server locally you would still get server crashes and disconnects.

Edit: and since you mentioned Rome 2, its still an excellent example of how having a rough start isn't necessarily fatal. People were insisting the game would be dead within a month at its launch, yet it still almost always has at least 10k people playing it at all times and looks to be the most successful TW game yet.
  5. andy06r

andy06r New Member

It also required 14 patches and probably a lot more QA time (ie., investment) than they had probably planned for.
  6. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

It did, but it does seem to have still worked out okay for them.
  7. japporo

japporo Active Member

Polish is hands-down more important. There will be a new sales spike when the 1.0 release goes out, KS backers and early access purchasers will be re-visiting PA to see how it turned out, and games reviewers and other pundits will be giving their final verdict on PA, both in its own right and as one of the largest KS projects ever to succeed). It is crucial for PA to make a good impression.

There will be some grumbles about offline not being available (and I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to that) but as long as Uber overcommunicates to the press and to the public (e.g. "We did our best; we even gave up our summer vacations for you and we'll get it out as our next priority") it's likely that people will be understanding.
    vyolin and lokiCML like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

the OP covers it. It is likely they can cover both. This is hypothetically if they can't. Also, can't as in can't delay without dropping support for developing it, this assumes they would lapse development ability and have to turn it over as is. I didn't put that option cuz retarded and all.