1. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I hope uber is able to ignore all the hate and focus on what I believe is the true message. Which is that the community is nervous about 1.0's release and the current state of the game.

Some of us have been with you since the beginning, and even though we didn't write the code we have been trying our best to help by giving ideas, play testing, and trying to support your endeavors. There is more work left to do. Please do not lose heart. You are creating a great work. It is already truly revolutionary in my eyes. Part of me believes that no matter how perfect the game gets in balance and UX we will all partly feel like it isn't ready and will be nervous about outsiders judging it and not liking it. At the end of the day no one comes into this world with beauty and grace. Usually we enter in one of the most awkward ways possible....through blood and sweat and tears with pain and suffering.

So @neutrino, @scathis, @metabolical, @BradNicholson, and all the other devs I know this was a hard day. Let's finish this game together. Lets not cut off the dialog. Lets finish balancing and implementing features and birth this baby.
    Last edited: July 22, 2014
  2. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Before this gets gross: please read our rules.

Thanks for the words, vorell. We appreciate it.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Nervous is a very accurate word.

We're optimistic, but nervous as well.

I believe that PA is genre changing, but just because there's some cool features doesn't mean PA is a guaranteed success, and I really want PA to be a success.
  4. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I'm fu*king stoked for 1.0, just look at the new commander death effect or the awesome ui improvements that have been popping up. 1.0 is gonna be awesome.
    EdWood, cdrkf and shotforce13 like this.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It's a shame what happened with that thread. I for one hope that you guys are willing to look past the "indecent" and continue the weekly update. I loved the info, and I appreciate what you were doing. Thanks, brad, and don't give up on us yet! :D
    DalekDan, cdrkf, shotforce13 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

"If humble souls are contradicted, they remain calm; if they are calumniated, they suffer with patience; if they are little esteemed, neglected, or forgotten, they consider that their due; if they are weighed down with occupations, they perform them cheerfully." St. Vincent de Paul

"Bear and forbear", as Epictetus said.

There is no need to be nervous, friends, no matter the fate of our beloved game.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yeah, it sucks how EA can spit out sequels with less "changes" than PA Builds have, yet Uber are bad guys for planning to support a single game for a long duration. The changes keep coming are better and better, and they often target the most important things. We think it is dox balance, but in actuality it is the game presenting unique taletale part to every unit, the game being fluid and navigateable, the game functioning on a computer without error crash or shutter, ect.

I see people argue against Uber, but I argue for them. They are great.
  8. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

I have no worries, pa is already a success to me (200+ hours of game play).

@KNight, @nanolathe and others have already shown great promise in mods.

It is and has been a great ride.
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

The longer that thread went on, the more worried I became that it might deter Uber from continuing with weekly update posts. Who would want to post an update only to see that every week?

I can see that some people expected more detail, or less hype. Sure, they could have responded with things like:
    "maybe include some technical details about the perf changes, maybe talk about what's been worked on even if it may not be shipped any time soon, maybe take quotes from devs about what they've been working on, maybe cut down on the tendril parts, vague statements or analogies, I think that an in-game tutorial / matchmaking / feature X should be included before release because...[]"
    And some people did! But any constructive discussions were washed out by underhanded comments about balance decisions and baseless accusations :(
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

sorry i'm not really following, what incident? I'm so Confucius :confused:
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

A portion(Actual size depends on individual opinion) of the community is upset with the execution of the "Weekly Update" which Brad undertook as a response to concerns about the communication from Uber to the community. The issues stem from the update being quite underwhelming, able to be summarized as "1.0 is coming and it'll have features.......but not Ladders or other Competitive Community stuff. Also have some Toy Rush info as well."

At least we learned something that wouldn't be part of 1.0 so that is progress, unfortunately there was very little context given regarding the decisions and it's reasoning so it's only really spawned more questions than answers.

Mike
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Thanks Mike, i appreciate the summary.

As for that stuff, I am a little disappointed that V1.0 will not have matchmaking and ladders, but honestly PA Stats is very sufficient for my needs (i still wish more people used the auto 1vs1)

I would rather have V1.0 be released later to ensure optimum quality, including ladders and such. I'm looking forward to the lag free and crash free gameplay more though.

But those replies on that thread... lol. Seems a little harsh to me.
    aevs likes this.
  13. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The reason people reacted so badly to it is that it didn't feel thought out.

The weekly updates first started out as updates for people who already bought the game. The updates were made to hype up something really big, which ended up being Galactic War. It was an exciting time, people were speculating and it actually turned out that a pretty large amount of us were wrong.

So seeing an update hype up to the release of a game we already own, without info on what would be present upon 1.0? It was disconcerting to say the least.
    There was no reason to reconfirm the release of 1.0, something we all knew was coming soon.

Something as small as the mention of another "big rock" seriously would've been just enough to get us speculating and giddy with excitement, but all we got was "YAY! 1.0 IS COMING alsotoyrushstuffwoooo YAYY!! 1.0!! Also no ladder, sorry."
    carlorizzante and brianpurkiss like this.
  14. duncane

duncane Active Member

That about sums it up. No ladders is a surprise but I'm sure well get them at some point. The question is what effect it will have on reviews and player base if it's not there on release.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  15. KNight

The Catch with PA Stats is the same as with Mods, it all comes down to visibility, PA Stats or the RCBM might be best stuff out there but it doesn't matter if people don't know about it or even if they know, can't be bothered to jump through the required hoops. It might sound pessimistic, but in my experience with SupCom:FA even the lowest hoops stop a great deal many people, and even the people that know about things already constitutes what is at most a minority of the overall player base.

Mike
    Quitch, lokiCML, EdWood and 6 others like this.
  16. KNight

Overall I think that, while certainly something that will be picked up on, I think there will be much bigger fish at hand to be discussed in reviews and such. After that it really comes down to how soon after 1.0 it'll arrive, I'm concerned that if it's anything more than a month after 1.0 Uber will have already missed out on a decent number of long term players.

Mike
    lokiCML and aevs like this.
  17. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

That whole other thread was so sad to see. @BradNicholson I really hope you guys continue with the updates. I for one really enjoy reading them and also appreciate the hard work you guys put in. I certainly don't understand the full game development process but I respect the fact that you guys don't shares as much as some others may like.

Keep on keepin on guys,

-Todd
  18. brianpurkiss

Yeah. That kinda sums up the update.

"Yay 1.0 is coming! It'll have stuff! Yay toy rush! Here's some info you already know, and also, no ladder."

I am really concerned about the lack of ladder. Proper Balance, Ladder, and Astroid belts are my most anticipated features, in that order. I also think those are the most critical features for proper gameplay and subsequently, a successful game. It doesn't seem that we'll be getting any of that at 1.0.

Emphasis, on it it doesn't seem that way. Uber is playing their cards close to the chest. Who knows, maybe they'll blindside us with something. And of course, I have a different philosophy than they do about balanced.

I dunno. We'll see.
    DuWhen, epicblaster117 and stuart98 like this.
  19. KNight

That is what's worrying me the most right now.

Mike
    Last edited: July 22, 2014
  20. brianpurkiss

It could be awesome. It could be... not.