Gas Giant Centered Orbital

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by polygonal, July 22, 2014.

1. polygonal

polygonal New Member

I, like a lot of people, cannot wait for gas giants - but what about some new orbital units for it? well, I thought of a few, and here they are (with very bad, quick sketches) --
    upload_2014-7-21_17-47-54.png

Orbital Teleporter
    --------------------
    The orbital teleporter allows you to send planes and orbital units through it. Can move up and down.
    Optimized for Orbital Platform (keep reading)

upload_2014-7-21_17-57-49.png

Orbital Platforms
    --------------------
    The orbital platforms allow you to build ground buildings orbiting gas giants instead ; however, it is extremely expensive and requires its own factory. Can ONLY BE USED ON GAS GIANTS.

upload_2014-7-21_18-6-38.png

Orbital Metal Extractor
    ---------------------------
    Used to extract metal from the top layer of the Gas Giant's core. There will be a meter like the ones for metal and energy, except it slowly goes down and does not regenerate. The drill extends down to the core to mine.

upload_2014-7-21_18-17-4.png

Advanced Orbital Factory
    --------------------------------
    Built by an Advanced Fab. Orbital Unit, which is built from an orbiting orbital factory. Appears like a ground factory, but can build 3x as fast as a ground factory. Also used to build the new orbital satellites.

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 22, 2014
  2. polygonal

polygonal New Member

Sorry about my crappy drawings.
    aevs likes this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The orbital platforms thing is really interesting.
    Overall I like these ideas. +1
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I like the idea of orbital teleporters - even though, after extensively discussing them with Brian, they don't make much sense gameplay-wise, they still sound like a cool idea
  5. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

If we have travel time actually dependent on distance between planets in large system being able to reinforce orbital units in a fast fashion is important. Also maybe if you cant drop down a ground teleporter it may be easier to teleport units with the orbital one with asteriouses.
  6. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Floating Rock Islands to get the Air involved....with Orbital....that would be interesting
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

wait, how would you build ground buildings on gas giants? o_O
  8. polygonal

polygonal New Member

The platforms? They are orbital, but they have a flat top which you can build on. They also kind of snap together like legos, so you can move ENTIRE BASES AROUND ON THE GAS GIANT.
  9. polygonal

polygonal New Member

The platforms? They are orbital, but they have a flat top which you can build on. They also kind of snap together like legos, so you can move ENTIRE BASES AROUND ON THE GAS GIANT.
  10. polygonal

polygonal New Member

Whoops, posted twice.
  11. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

This will only work if the plaforms are cheap, snap together like minecraft cubes, and are owner-agnostic. You should be able to join your platforms to an opponents platform non-consensually.
    Last edited: July 22, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Why not, then you can make a bridge to them to raid their stuff.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. polygonal

polygonal New Member

I mean, (I just thought of this) you could make a platform with tons of units on it, another with a radar, staple them together, and tell it to scout. What would happen? It would collide with another station, and make an ARMY OF ARMIES! IT WOULD BE EPIC!
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I had a suggestion for this, they would essentially work as a way to move things between planets without showing up on orbital radar as they move between planets.
  15. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

You definitely have my support for the floating platform/islands idea.
  16. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Honestly, the platforms don't sound particularly useful. All you could really use them for is placing eco or radar, and there's more efficient orbital versions of those. I suppose you could build miniature land bases with teleporters, but that's a little niche for a feature that seems like it would take quite a bit of use and be used rather rarely as it would come from your advanced orbital factory.

I'd like to see more orbital combat options, rather than the 2-unit balance we have now. There's quite a bit of untapped design space- orbital missile killsats, mini drone carriers, AoE EMP blasts, railguns, etc- orbital could be a playground for the really advanced and pretty tech.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I'd made a suggestion somewhat like this before, as an asteroid replacement in systems that don't have asteroids; a kind of small orbital body that can be used for launching orbital assaults by changing its orbit (telling it to orbit your enemy's base, etc).
    I'm gonna be honest, the idea of sticking them together doesn't really sound feasible to me though.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

LEGOS IS NOT A WORD.
  19. polygonal

polygonal New Member

You know what I mean.
  20. coldsuit

coldsuit New Member

Platforms would be extreme useful once the unit cannons are in play. Right now, a swarm of bombers can instantly destroy a teleporter and any units that made it through. But with the platforms, you could have factories constantly producing units that move to the unit cannon to drop down to the surface. That would fix the issue of teleporter sniping and help the current issue of unattackable planets.
    epicblaster117 likes this.