There's A Cash Shop In The Game?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by mrmaximo, July 9, 2014.

1. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

And let's not forget a Dune mod for PA.

The very reason I've bought it :D

Big modifications or additions to the core can't be made without adequate resources (read: money).
    drewsuser likes this.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I think the main pro/con argument is the quality of the mod. There's a single minecraft mod i've played, for nearly 2 years. Sank 100's of hours into that mod alone. I never paid a penny, but if i were asked to, i'd have put down $60 for it just to keep playing. And yes that's 6x the value of a minecraft purchase. Per hour of gameplay, it would still be cheaper than any other game.

The problem is that of all those mods, only a handful will ever get to the point where paying for them is actually worth it. Else, we get typical "dirt to diamonds" mods that ask 10 cents for a mod that adds the AVATAR.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Solution: Pay what you want model with an option of

freeedom.jpg

If you feel the mod deserves money, throw money.
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

An argument I trot out on occasion is that there are many motivations for doing something. Community spirit, appreciation from others, doing something for yourself, fun, money, etc. My point is that it's up to the modder to decide what motivates them, not the mod user. It's up to the mod user to decide what ways they are willing to motivate others, and which mods/modders they wish to motivate.

If I were to make a mod that took hundreds of hours of my time, I would consider making it Donationware. You likely won't make much money but that's not the point; the beer you buy with money acquired doing something you love tastes much better than "I bought this with money from my crappy job" beer.

edit: I forgot to make my point. The Uber mod store should have a donationware setup for those that want it, it's a bridge between free and paid mods that shouldn't be left to the modders adding paypal and bitcoin links (imo).
  5. Geers

[​IMG]

Or bust.
    cwarner7264 and stuart98 like this.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Except that Uber will have full control over the system, who gets to charge and for what will by up to Uber, not the modder.

Mike
  7. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with commanders being sold, I have a problem with the Backers getting a percentage of the money. This is a ridiculous idea. It's like I get money for supporting a game (with money). I don't want to give the Backer money, I want it to go into the game. 100% of the money. Not sure if the Backer who accepted to get a percentage of the money is just ********* greedy or thinks he deserves to receive a part of the game's income. Also there's no message saying like "he'll get a percentage of the money", no! People may think, Uber will take it all to futher improve development. Ludicrous idea.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well the idea was that those Commanders otherwise would have only been limited to 6 people(The Backer + 5 others) and we're included with the Backer's consent, I'm assuming that seeing as we haven't seen other commanders show up in awhile it might be the case where some of the 1K backers do want to hold on to thiers, either than or Uber has something up thier sleeve.

Also lets keep in mind we have no idea what the deal is, for all we know the Backer could be getting less than 10% of the price NOR do we know any sales figures for any of the commanders either.

Mike
  9. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Bah. I said before. All this Commanders thing looks really like a bad marketing idea. Since the very beginning.
    Neumeusis likes this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm almost certain this will not be the case. Uber won't be able to force a modder to charge for their mod. It would definitely have to be an agreement between the modder and Uber.

I've no doubt Uber will contact modders who previously had no intention of charging and say 'this is good enough to charge money for, you totally should', but that's in no way forcing their hand.

EDIT: I just re-read your comment and I think I completely misread it. Sorry, I'm tired today. Leaving my post up as a warning to others not to post nonsense after 3 hours' sleep.
  11. Geers

Pffft. Never did me any harm.
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Well, for $1 a commander, it would not be too much of a problem.
    But 1/5 of the game price for a skin is kind of..., well, too much...