Killer suns.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by davidkit, July 21, 2014.

1. davidkit

davidkit New Member

Driving planets into the sun is impractical and kills off planets for no reason. The better way to do it is to drive the sun around and kill off planets.

This is how I see it working. Your load your commander into a rocket and land him on the sun. He then builds some halleys engines keeping in mind that the sun is a little bigger than the planets and therefore would require more. You could then drive the sun into the planet where it would start to melt. Once the planet is a ball of slug you could drive to the next planet if there was enough of your sun left. This same method could also be used with gas giants but the effect should be more crushing.

I can hear you asking now how would the commander stand on the sun without melting.
    Shields. Yes you would have to build a shield generator so you land on the sun. The other thing you could do is use the unit cannon to shoot fire balls, tho this would make the sun get smaller as it gets used up.

Let me know what you think.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You sir, are not only insane, but attempting to use solid matter to push plasma.
    Sorry bro. Physics doesn't work anything like that.

Also, moving the sun (the heaviest thing in the system) would probably just move the planets with it - or worse, throw them out of orbit off the galactic plane.

Now, let's apply that outrageous, out-of-the-box thinking to something more practical, like the Unit Cannon :D

Woah! Don;t get me wrong, this is awesome, it's just.....ridiculous. :D
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You had me at
    This is so insanely silly, I love it.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

God, I hope this is a joke. XD
    RainbowDashPwny and stuart98 like this.
  5. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

nope
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No. Just no. JUST NO!

!!

[​IMG]

ENOUGH WITH THE SHIELDS! *hyperventilates*.

Later I might break this into little pieces and point out everything that's wrong with it.
    vyolin, muhatib and eroticburrito like this.
  7. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Oh comon now. This guy has obviously read other topics (like the one on flinging planets into the sun
    - so he probably knows how the community feels about shields too). I feel almost 100% sure this is just a subtle but totally sarcastic joke! Right?

Right?!
    thetrophysystem and davidkit like this.
  8. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

Artistic license is one thing. Pretending there is no such thing as physics is another.

He has to be sarcastic, otherwise... well... you know.
  9. Geers

...He's one of them, right?
  10. tehtrekd

Ah... you gotta love the flat earth society.
    We should start a campaign to give a copy of PA to members of the FES.
    BulletMagnet and Geers like this.
  11. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

This new movie...

[​IMG]
    Now with 200% more explosions
    ___________________________________________​
  12. scrable

scrable New Member

This almost created a black hole because of the silliness and illogical things.

I will list them:
    How do you want to build on a liquid surface?
    How do you want to survive the radiation?
    How do you want to survive the heat? Shields aren't an option
    You can't move the sun with some big engines attached to it, since it is liquid
    Where would you place them?
    If you move the sun, then the orbit of all of the planets gets crazy. They could go into the sun, but also flung out into space and collide with each other.

Argh.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Liquid surface? Try plasma surface.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  14. Geers

Ok I'm going to tear this apart now.

As soon as you get anywhere near the surface, the heat will melt and evaporate your commander and the transport.

Firstly, a little bigger? It's hundreds of times bigger!
    Now let's assume a Halley fires for 5 seconds. To accelerate the sun to the same speed as Earth's orbital velocity you'd need those Halley's to produce 11930610000000000000000000000000000 (1.193061*10^34) Newtons of thrust. If we want to accelerate the equivalent of Earth's Moon to the same speed, we usually need at least three Halleys. So let's assume one Halley produces 146918000000000000000000000 (1.46918*10^26) Newtons. This gives you 90 million Halleys that need to be built. I have been very generous with my assumptions. In reality 30km/s is much less than the speed the planets on collision course move. I've also assumed the sun in question is the same mass as good ol' Sol.

The planet would be completely ripped apart by tidal forces. Gas giants would have their atmospheres boiled away. In neither scenario does the star lose mass.

If you're doing this on or near the sun, the nanolathe would be destroyed by the heat, making construction impossible. If you do this on a planet, you end up with an atmosphere in your shield, which will be heated up and melt your commander when it gets too close. If you had a vacuum or surface-hugging type shield, it would need to completely block all radiation on every single inch of your commander, meaning your commander is trapped and incapable of doing anything. If your shield allows radiation flow, the commander will be directly heated by the star's radiation and turn your commander to gloop.

Last edited: July 22, 2014
  15. tehtrekd

Would it really?
    We don't really know what nanolathe is. For all we know it's just a visible but non-physical representation of digital fabrication.

THAT. SAID.
    Everything in PA is made of metal.
    And the sun, being somewhat hot, melts metal.
  16. Geers

I thought we agreed it was self-assembling molecular robots.
  17. tehtrekd

Oh.
    I'm sorry, I didn't get the memo, I'll fire my associate immediately.
    cannon.png
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  18. Geers

That would make a great gif.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  19. Deletive

Deletive Member

I really want a fun little mod like that. you just build on a flat plain and things just fall off the edge sometimes. the world is still 3d though :D
  20. davidkit

davidkit New Member

"I think I might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for... "

I will try and address some of your concerns about my idea.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension

Play as a robot.

How about force fields, a barrier made up of energy or particles that acts as a wall.

At the back, everyone knows that suns are rear wheel drive.

Yah I might have a problem there. Does bring up a good point if you smash planet A into planet B the mass of planet B will be a lot higher, will that effect the orbit of planet C? I don't think it does and I'm not worried about that.

Geers, you win.

I have play a few games where you can fall off the edge of the world. Was not as much fun as you might think.

I do like the idea of using the sun. Yes it is very silly. Yes I know everyone hates shields. Yes this post was a little bit of a stir. I enjoy thinking of crazy things and I like my games to be crazy, different and out of this world. We need to start brain storming for ideas for the expansion.
    Geers likes this.