Fan and Community Art: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 11, 2013.

1. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

As someone apparently decided to post this piece of fan art of mine on steam seemingly passing it off as their own, I am obligated to do the following: (and I really fracking hate having to do this)

This work (as show above)Shattered by Ingo Meulepas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Any further works based upon this one, created by myself or others are subject to the same License.

Ie. you can use it for whatever you like, in whatever way you like, and make money off it, but you:
    1. Have to allows other use this as well, and any other works you make based off it.
    2. Have to attribute it to me.

Lastly, I gave UBER permission to display it on their page (I'm very flattered they chose to do so).

EDIT:
    @dietshnurd the same guy that passed off my piece as their own did yours as well:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275075933[​IMG]
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
    someonewhoisnobody and mkrater like this.
  2. urza62

urza62 New Member

I have this :)

[​IMG]

I made also some small movies (you can search Urza62 on youtube) but I stoped, it takes me too much time =)
    LavaSnake and SolitaryCheese like this.
  3. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

oh crap.png
    I'll just leave this here...
    Remy561, urza62, ArchieBuld and 2 others like this.
  4. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

So I tried out 3d modelling for the first time yesterday and thought I'd post my progress on one of my first model so far (Am using maya for this). Let me know what you guys think, I know that I still have a long way to go.
    [​IMG]
    Would like to hear what you guys think of it.
    mjshorty, SolitaryCheese and urza62 like this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You're gonna have a "fun" time figuring out the stuff needed for manifold modeling, it's generally lots of small tools to learn but it is worth it! xD

Mike
  6. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

wrote this in another thread, came out well for the little work I put into it lol. Poetry IS art.

Uber, champion of this genera,
    we are together under the penumbra
    For a clash of Titans of steel, hold fast

Paths crossed, we strike out to win the day.
    Over land, sky and vacuum of space, never the same
    In the dimming glow of enemy, friend. Now past.

Time stretches form where we know not, till ever more
    We peruse down paths of strife to settle our score
    how long will conflict continue till we rest at last.

In this war we will not settle for mere subjugation.
    Only for the others complete, total, Planetary Annihilation
    The only question left, who will survive the blast?
    mkrater and SolitaryCheese like this.
  7. Nicb1

I'm looking forward to learning more about how to use maya. I'll be starting a 3d animation course which also involves modelling at university/college soon as well so that should help out.

Just a quick question though. Do you happen to know about any threads detailing how to export a model from PA into something like maya or blender? If you do know of one could you please link me to it either through pm or post as I have not been able to find a thread on this yet.

Edit: Also working on another variation of that model :) .
    May end up starting another thread for my models since ill probably start spamming this thread otherwise.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: July 13, 2014
    SolitaryCheese and urza62 like this.
  8. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Hmm, Maya, so ... professional. How much did you pay for that?

As far as I know how about exporting, just make sure your models have the same extension as the models in PA (I haven't look in to that, I don't know what the extension is actually)

I've also heard something about rigs breaking easily, and having only one bone or something(?)

I use Blender, most modeling apps are roughly the same, but I'm not all that experienced either so I probably won't be able to help you until I do some more stuff with it (I'm making a game right now!).
  9. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I don't really think he paid for it just to have some fun.

[​IMG]
    tatsujb and websterx01 like this.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I know Liqiuis has been working on the exporting stuff to try and figure something out and I think he's figured out an awkward, round-about process now we just haven't had much time to test it properly.

Mike
  11. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Yeah there is a trial version for 30 days I know.
  12. Nicb1

The only reason I'm using Maya instead of blender Is because that is what I'm going to have to use when I start 3d animation at university. I also got a free 3 year student license, the only drawback being a message each time I open or save a file.
  13. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

@stonewood1612 @SolitaryCheese You can get all autodesk products for free if you are a student(Although they don't ask you to prove that you are a student)
  14. tohron

tohron Active Member

I know that Uber said they weren't accepting ideas for this, but I had a cool thought anyway.

So here's my concept for... the ABLE Commander!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought it fit the theme pretty well.
  15. Nicb1

I quite like your concept, although just be warned that there are picky individuals out there who would go on about the wheelchair aspect of the design being disrespectful to disabled people(but then again there are always people who will pick on something for some stupid reason).
    Jaedrik likes this.
  16. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

YES! This is what I suggested! It would be awesome :D

Nothing is more empowering than seeing a person/character you really empathize with rise above and duke it out with the best of commanders! I feel as if this would happen precisely if any peoples fought with the knowledge their money was going to a good cause, and they got to kick *** with a rad commander like this. I feel as if disabled peoples would experience this badassery even moreso! Of course, it needs more work to make it look badass/coolio.
    Last edited: July 20, 2014
  17. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

I wouldn't say its disrespectful, but it does seem a bit obvious, the same idea could probably be done with tad more subtlety.

And we have to remember that it still has to fit the lore, so those legs would need to actually have a purpose beyond aesthetic.
    Jaedrik likes this.
  18. comham

comham Active Member

lmao what lore, this is a game with a coherent aesthetic, but not one which is justified beyond "they're robots designed by robots, and there are no humans", you could justify the legs as vestigial structures designed by a very simple algorithm which was intended to create bots and was then ordered to make a tank.

It's a good wheelchair commander, I look forward to seeing it in game.
  19. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Well, Uber is writing lore, more for flavour than anything else really.

But that's not the point. Its still a obviously just a guy in a wheelchair, which feels pretty out of place to me.
    You can be a lot more creative with an idea like this than literally just making it a disabled person commander.
    Jaedrik likes this.
  20. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Thats a really cool idea, that really does show what able games are about.