Uber; as someone who doesn't pay attention....

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tormidal, July 13, 2014.

1. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I don't browse the forums regularly.
    When I do, I look for topics about gameplay, features, patch notes.

Consequently, when I get on recently, I have no idea what's going on about this Able commander and stuff.(Something about Charity?)

So, as someone who cares more about having a fun game to play, rather than caring about the ethics of selling cosmetic add-ons, (cough cough, Valve, Microsoft, EA, etc.) I just have this to say.

Uber, it doesn't matter what people think of your business practices. Cosmetic add-ons and in-game shops have been around for years, and its going to stay around for years. The only thing that can stop that, is if no one buys it. But that's not going to happen. Its fantastic that you're teaming up with a charity to help raise money, no matter how much money goes to them. Every little bit counts.

As long as you have enough money to make this game as awesome as its inspirations, as awesome as its developers, and as awesome as its potential, then it's okay. The game is what will make the money back, not the in-game markets. Its the rich and open gameplay, not the number of different looking commanders you have available without paying more.

So, Uber, just keep doing what you're doing, and keep being awesome. The game is going to turn out great, and that's the important part.

(I didn't make this thread to start a flame war, or to open up myself to hostilities. I just wanted to express my opinion, that they can do what they like. If the mass market views this game as something that is worth buying, then the mass market it going to pour money into it, as many already have, regardless of the practices of the business behind it. That's why EA has managed stayed in business. Poor practices, great games. But lets just hope Uber doesnt get to an EA-bad level.)

btw; have nukes;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: July 13, 2014
  2. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

The problem arises with Able, not because it is a Charity commander, but because this, a quote from Uber themselves: "You get the limited edition "Progenitor" Commander. This in-game commander has a unique model that shows off your early support of this game. Includes all previous tiers." This is literally straight off their Kickstarter. Like it or not the Able does in fact use the "Unique" Progenitor commander model. It is irrefutable, and the community knows.
    Edit: I bought the commander btw, I'm not trying to hate on Uber by saying the Able is trash, but eh, it is really awkward. It's charity, but then again... a lie, any way you slice it.
    stuart98, gtf50, lokiCML and 5 others like this.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

In b4 thread lock...

Its PTE People! It might just be a placeholder. Maybe its a commander that uses a altered style of the Progenitors textures, but they might be using those textures on a new model.
    thetrophysystem and popededi like this.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Based on Dev Comments and the files themselves that is clearly not the case.

Mike
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Based on the files, and on that it is currently purchasable, and that the devs have had the opportunity time and time again to clarify it, it's clearly not a placeholder.

If it is a placeholder, people are now purchasing a commander that is going to change.
    gtf50, lokiCML, janusbifrons and 2 others like this.
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

It better be a temp model... A ton of people will be pissed that the progenitor model wouldnt be exclusive anymore.
    lokiCML and janusbifrons like this.
  7. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I have played as the Able in pte, everything is working, and color combos are in. Seems like it isn't a placeholder.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  8. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I give you screenshots K?
    upload_2014-7-13_1-55-0.png

Attached Files:

9. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry for double post, didn't crop first one... :p
    Last edited: July 13, 2014
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I also don't really know what the hell happened when it comes to the able commander, I do have one question for Uber:

Because it's a charity (that I honestly don't know anything about), does that mean this commander is purchasable for a limited amount of time?
    aapl2 likes this.
  11. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

They've made a commander for charity(great). They've put it in the in-game store and the money goes to the charity(awesome). The commander has the same model and a slightly different texture as one that is available only to fairly high level backers (very bad). They're basically de-valued it and turned its exclusivity into a lie.
    There really is no excuse.

to answer the question: limited amount of time: yes
    janusbifrons likes this.
  12. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

But if it's a limited time... what's the difference? KS was also an opportunity available for a limited amount of time.
    Available for a limited time == exclusive

Also 'fairly high level backers' ? KS backers get the progenitor commander at the backing level of $50, don't tell me that's high level. This commander is on sale for $10, which could be a bit higher (for charity reasons), so there is quite a difference there, but not a massive one.

How long does this charity last? If it's longer than the KS, sure I'll join the angry team, but if it's like a month or two... than It's about the same exclusivity than the progenitor.

*Raises shield*

Anyway, there should be more ways of showing your early support in game. I supported since alpha and I don't have any special commanders except for the theta, which really only tells that I played the game before it launched. I have an alpha and beta badge yes, but who sees that? There should be a way of showing your shiny title to other inferior beings who purchased the game after launch. That's the whole point of those exclusive commanders, to show of your title. But there must be more ways of doing that. Must be. When that's done, the problem will be (almost) solved.
  13. overwatch141

Ok I did kinda say it wrong. KS was limited time and this is also limited time, but they are basically the same.

Short story:
    They make a super awesome commander that they say will only be available for purchase for a for a few weeks and will therefore be exclusive. A few months later they release one that is basically the same as the one you bought and make it available for everyone.
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

They could have easily used one of the comms they haven't released yet, and made that charity-exclusive or something, they didn't need to reskin an old exclusive comm..
  15. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Ill be honest, I still have no idea what the fuss is over.
    I have the Progenitor commander, and I'm not even a little upset over it.

Its just a cosmetic. Its nothing special. I truly do not get why people could get upset over this.

In my view, it paints a lot of you guys in a really bad light.

They make a commander for a charity....a charity that helps disabled kids find a relaxing past-time.(Gaming.)
    And you guys get mad, because its the same commander as one they've claimed exclusive.

So; even though they're giving people who want the commander a chance to get it, and even though they're trying to help other people, you guys get mad?

It makes you all seem kind of like phalluses, I'll be honest.
    drschuess likes this.
  16. overwatch141

I really don't understand why people think we hate charity. It'd be awesome if they made a new commander and sold it for charity.
    (I did say new and not make the texture of a KS exclusive commander a little different)

Think what would happen if they released Titanfall for PS4. Or The Last of Us for the Xbox.
  17. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Then many people would be happier.

I just dont get how you guys can be mad at Uber when they're doing something good.
    drschuess likes this.
  18. emraldis

The issue is that they are giving away something they said was exclusive, despite the fact that they have shown us that they have many more un-released commander models they could have used instead.
  19. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Yes.....they're giving it away. For low low price of not free.

They're pleasing other people. Im sure there some who didnt get in on the kickstarter in time, but wanted the Progenitor. And they're helping people. What is it about some of you, where you just cant be happy when others are?

Uber shouldn't get all this for doing something good, they should be praised and supported by their community instead.
    drschuess likes this.
  20. emraldis

Sure, they're doing something really good. Problem is, now I can just spend 10$ on a commander that cost 90$ or more for others, when they could just import say the calyx commander which they have already shown us, and make it available instead. It is annoying for those people who payed a lot of money to get the progenitor comm thinking it was going to be exclusive to them (which it was supposed to be), just to have it sold for 1/10th of that they paid for it.

I'm all for uber selling comms to charity, but instead of going back on their promises to do it they could have either:

-Made all the other commanders go on sale, with all the revenue go to charity

-Just used one of the other commanders they have already shown us that didn't cost someone 90$ to buy

And problem solved, no one gets angry.
    janusbifrons likes this.