Jon Mavor's Keyboard

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by arm2thecore, August 30, 2012.

1. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Yes, I have a life, but ... I'm obsessed with that keyboard. I still-framed the trailer and scanned through 900 keyboard images on NewEgg, then hundreds of Google Images pictures and finally identified it as a Unicomp Customizer 104 - made in Kentucky!

Now I want one, because, well, after learning he worked on TA and was the lead on SupCom, Jon's kind of my programmer hero these days. :ugeek:

Any other programmers out there using that thing? I remember the IBM Model M and could really fly on those buckling spring keys.

The only problem I might have with it is trying to type quietly on those mornings I can't sleep and wake up at 3am... I think it'd wake my wife at the other end of the house! :lol:
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

It is a unicomp. I went with black and with a windows keys. Other than that it's exactly like an IBM keyboard. My dad worked for IBM for 25 years so I grew up typing on their stuff.

At home I almost exclusively use a laptop though.
    RMJ likes this.
  3. arm2thecore

Gonna necro this because it was the start of a new fantastic obsession. Have since used a Das Keyboard w/blues, DK w/browns (sold to a very good friend), K70 w/reds. Friend now looking to purchase Model M and I'm now thinking about building one from scratch, possibly w/Alps.

MAVOR! Look what you've done.

Cheers.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]

Had to type this so the character count was exactly 144.
    arm2thecore and Devak like this.
  5. japporo

japporo Active Member

Ah, that classic "clickety-click". I have a Unicomp as well, though I use a ergo keyboard most of the time (darned RSIs), and the sound always brings back fond memories.

Edit: It's absolutely baffling to me that neither Unicomp nor anyone else has made a buckling-spring switch keyboard with a modern split curve ergonomic layout, a la the old MS Natural Keyboard Pro. The sales would be staggering.
    Last edited: July 12, 2014
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

IBM keyboards are the best ever.
    If you don't like clicky keyboards you're not a human being.
    RainbowDashPwny likes this.
  7. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

I bought a corsair K95, it is awesome. Mechanical keys have changed my very being.
  8. dala1984

dala1984 Member

[​IMG]
    japporo and Geers like this.
  9. arm2thecore

P.s. Kpve
    Lol! That is quotable!
  10. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Ive been using a Microsoft Digital Pro keyboard for decade now...it has so many cool buttons on it that my desktop has zero icons bc I can activate anything right on the keyboard...email, browser, any app, volume control, sleep mode, ect ect...Is there anything out there comparable?
  11. arm2thecore

Not mechanical? Not interested! :)
  12. Geers

So many cool buttons that you never touch?
  13. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

According to my quick google search, the keyboard is mechanical, aka has physical buttons and stuff. The only catch is that it has some extra programmable buttons. I have a keyboard of unknown model that has programmable buttons, but tbh... I never ever used those, but the WASD buttons had already lost their paint.
  14. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I do use the programmable buttons..Its a lot quicker than scrolling with the mouse to startup a program..I simply press 1 and itll open up the first program in my taskbar. Or if I want to increase or decrease volume no need to do any clicking on the taskbar for that either.
  15. Geers

[​IMG]
  16. arm2thecore

One of us is confused, and it is you.
  17. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

It could be... did I misunderstand something? o_O
  18. dala1984

dala1984 Member

"Any keyboard that incorporates a metal spring".
    Mechanical Keyboard Guide:
    http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Mechanical_Keyboards

;)

SolitaryCheese likes this.
  19. arm2thecore

No worries, man- just that "mechanical keyboard" = keyboard with mechanical keyswitches (as opposed to the very common membrane style). The term "mechanical keyboard" has no correlation with auxiliary/programmable buttons.

A Microsoft Digital Pro keyboard has no significance to this thread.
    Last edited: July 13, 2014
  20. arm2thecore

Thanks! Yep, that's where the real keyboard nerds hang out. Fun site to check out occasionally- the amount of time, effort, and money some of those members put into their keyboards is truly ... um ... nuts. :)