What defines thread hostility? (Able commander controversy aside)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 12, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You know I just realized how insanely first world problems-y this controversy is.
    "Waaah money is going to a charity but my pixels aren't exclusive anymore woe is me :''''''("

>2014
    >expecting any good from Reddit

I know this is kind of hypocritical of me to say because I just did a 4chan and that place can easily be called just as bad or even worse on some boards, but seriously, reddit is a horrible place.
    spicyquesidilla and cptconundrum like this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The fact that you read our posts as such details the problem right there.

Maybe you should give us a reason to trust your judgement, instead of all this.

Brad, nobody cares what you think this commander is or is not. What it is perceived as is what matters. Believe me, I wish people looked into this sort of thing in more detail myself, but they don't. You have to think strategically about how the community will react - we are quite predictable on a general scale.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm personally really don't care about all those commanders-related topics at all, but deletion of posts and banning people this way won't benefit this community for sure. This will only end up with community being divide into different parts and this is really sad. :(

PS: And yeah second post in this topic was removed and many players who read this my post won't even understand what I talking about. Lack of transparency is never end up good...

PS2: And yeah I did not mean my post removed, but other one was.
    Last edited: July 12, 2014
  4. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Reskin isn't a derogatory term :confused:
    The work here has clearly gone into heavily modifying the textures of the progenitor commander, which is why people call it a 'reskin'; the term fits. (Heck, for some people anything that 'replaces' something visually in a game can be considered a reskin, even those that completely change the model.)
    I'm sure most of us agree that quite a bit of work has gone into it, and that the results look great!
    The exclusivity issue cause by picking the progenitor as a base is a whole different can of worms though.
    gtf50, lokiCML, cdrkf and 5 others like this.
  5. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

This is my personal statement on the matter. Brain doesn't have to stop. This forum is his forum. It's my forum. The forum is everybody's. It is for community input. Moderators take down inappropriate content that serves no purpose. This thread serves a purpose. To ask for answers to questions. Not to hate the able. I made this thread with that in mind, so I will disregard your interjection about the Able. It itself is bait. Absolutely nobody is dev hating. NO ONE. Uber is a great team. Let me link you to happy community posts. https://forums.uberent.com/threads/woohoo-go-mered.61883/#post-958818
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/uber-love-in.53585/
    ^That one is purely dedicated showing you love.
    lokiCML, carlorizzante, cdrkf and 5 others like this.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

A can of worms that should have been on a shelf labeled "DO NOT TOUCH. HIGH EXPLOSIVE"
    Pretty sure half my posts are just me giving meta or garat a virtual hug.
    gtf50 likes this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Pretty much exactly this. Brad, on a technical level this is a Re-skin. The problem here isn't that The Able commander is a re-skin, the problem is what was chosen to be Re-skinned.

Mike
  8. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

It wasn't. You must have forgotten to hit send.
  9. BradNicholson

Let's do an impromptu Q&A. What do you want to know?
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

This is slightly off topic from the controversy at hand, but does all 10 dollars of the comm price get sent to the charity or does Uber get a cut?
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm not talking about my posts...
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Why was the progenitor chosen as a base?

Why was a special model not created?

There's my two I believe.
    cdrkf, Nicb1 and brianpurkiss like this.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Who actually runs the PA subreddit? Is this something affiliated with Uber or just a PA Matches thing? I'm surprised Uber would let the moderation there get to this point without any intervention.
  14. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Can we have a couch sit Q&A with all the devs after next cloak and danger???
    cdrkf, aapl2, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  15. aevs

aevs Post Master General

You can disregard it as a first world problem, but respecting exclusivity is pretty important when it comes to this stuff. There's a reason Valve purposefully avoids devaluing users' virtual goods as much as they can, and has actively worked to prevent it in many cases (the TF2 economy is... strange). Nobody likes to lose value, whether it can be liquidated or not.
  16. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Brian has sole commander of the sub reddit
  17. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

How big are your muscles? From hump to hump?
  18. BradNicholson

Yes. The Progenitor was chosen as a base.

Personally, I think this is a special model. The Progenitor had a cool base to work with, it fit our development schedule, and we decided to make something out of it.
  19. BradNicholson

Yes. The Progenitor was chosen as a base.

Personally, I think this is a special model. The Progenitor had a cool base to work with, it fit our development schedule, and we decided to make something out of it.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Ok thanks. I had thought it was more closely related to PA and Uber.