DRM Coffee is Now A Thing

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, July 7, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

2. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Oh yeah, I remember this story! Keurig is not happy that there are alternative pods that work on their machines. I wonder if there's been any mechanical issues with non-K-cups in their machines.
    I guess I don't see the problem as long as there are competitors who can manufacture coffee-pod machines that can accept all pods, even K-cups if they choose to.
  3. Geers

Well the thing is, they essentially create a monopoly and potentially destroy third-party podmakers depending on how popular their machines are.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Real men don't use those weird pods anyway.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I would say "people who care about how their coffee tastes don't use pods". ;) I have a small espresso machine at home, and far and away the most time consuming part is steaming the milk. Grinding beans and pulling a shot takes less than a minute.

And the entire pod crazy is a little nuts to me. Inferior quality drinks for a premium price.
    zhaii and cola_colin like this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I had one of those machines in my hotel room in Boston. The coffee tasted about 10x better than anything they serve in the UK. Then again, the tea I had in Boston was shite. It's all relative ;)
  7. Geers

Last edited: July 8, 2014
    BulletMagnet and cwarner7264 like this.
  8. cwarner7264

"mmm, salty"
    Geers likes this.
  9. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I can understand the appeal of pod coffee; it creates one cup at a time rather than making a pot and potentially throwing out old coffee or letting coffee sit in the pot and burn. And it's super easy to clean - just throw away the pod! But all that extra landfill trash, blech! I've heard there are biodegradable options, but I don't think Keuring uses them yet.
  10. cwarner7264

UK coffee:

[​IMG]
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Lies. I know I've had much better coffee than this at a number of cafes in both London and Windsor. :)
  12. Geers

[​IMG]
  13. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Unrecyclablefillingupourlandfillsfasterthanalltherestofthegarbage... Garage.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

My brother has one. It has an adapter and filter for regular Folgers coffee. It makes that coffee taste better than a normal ten dollar coffee pot would. Something about streaming the water through it opposed to open air hot water dripping onto it.

Believable, yet it is in fact inferior. Best coffee pots are Bunn. They make commercial and household, cheap and expensive, conventional and airtight stream and "pod". In fact, the best tasting coffee is probably the time consuming ground and chef'd with all the intricate preparation.

However, the pods aren't bad either. They are a huge ripoff of convinence. They are a giant niche, lazy rich people for instance is a great target audience, sell 10 dollars for 18 coffees that instantly brew to taste like pretty decent hazelnut dark chocolate. And the pods are very decent, much better than conventional, but definitely not handmade like a personal expresso machine.

Bunn are also expensive, but I think cheaper than Kerug and the "expensiveness" is in the designs being so sturdy and complex.

Commoner Coffee? LOL! I love instant coffee. I totally freaked out when I found mention of it in an anime >.<
  15. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Well yeah, in the most expensive city in the UK sure. There's like a fancy coffee shop every 10 steps
  16. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

What? There's debauchery here!
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  17. arseface

arseface Post Master General

You people and your bean water.
  18. Geers

It's all about the mugs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lokiCML and thetrophysystem like this.
  19. speedem0n

speedem0n New Member

I have the first mug as a t-shirt ;)

To me coffee is like beer, you don't drink it for the taste, but the effect...