3D Printing PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zhaii, June 30, 2014.

1. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

[​IMG]
    The Leviathan is Finally Complete!

Hey everyone,

I printed the Cybran T2 Salem class ship from Supreme commander a few months back and thought I'd share it with you.

http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/Cybran_T2_Destroyer

It's been kicking around for awhile and many of the smaller parts like antenna have broken off, but that something that could definitely be fixed.

The legs snap off every time I take it somewhere, thanks gas powered for basically no geometry connecting them to the base whatsoever. (obviously not designed with 3DP in mind.) alas something that could easily be fixed.

I haven't gotten around to fixing those issues due to the fact that I already went through about 8 versions before it came out of the machine correctly.

It takes 16 hours to print on a Maker bot Replicator 2.

Shoot me some .STL's of your PA models and i'll see about making them roll out into the real world! :D

(for free, + shipping if you actually want to hold them, not looking to make money here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Models to be printed:

Next
    Brandonpotter's Commander

PA
    Leviathan
    Laser tower

Desktop proxy base goodness (wip)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: July 10, 2014
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I want to sell officially licensed models of PA units after the game is released. :)

Last I talked to Uber, they aren't ready to license out merch though. :-(
    melhem19, stonewood1612 and zhaii like this.
  3. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

They should either do them selves or work out a deal with www.shapeways.com they have some amazing 3d prints of like Jeb bob and bill from Kerbal space program and a ton of other stuff.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1013413/jebediah-kerman-on-iva.html?modelId=1013413&materialId=26

Would love me some Mini commanders in 3d printing with proper color. i believe the KSP guys is printed in sand stone or something along those lines.

3d printing is really amazing, this is only the beginning, like black and white era of regular 2d printing. can you imagine in like 20-30 years. They will look back and laugh, when us old farts talk about printing stuff in 2d only.

I wouldn be surprised if 3d printing becomes the biggest thing after the interntet. i mean i could forsee a future where you buy stuff, items, clothes even food, and a printer would create it, right there and then in your home. instant pizza, printed right ou of your 3d food printer.
    websterx01 and zhaii like this.
  4. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Yes, It is gypsum powder, drywall basically.

I've worked with the full color machines, but the strength is terrible.

The color is pretty decent though.

The makerbots aren't bad for entry level, different process.

These new $300 mbots they are coming out with are nothing short of dissapointing, the build area will leave everyone using them very much grasping for air.
  5. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Do you plan on making them yourself?
  6. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

Might that have anything to do with the fact they haven't sent out the physical commanders yet to the KS backers that paid for them (like myself)?
  7. japporo

japporo Active Member

8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I haven't worked out the details of how they'll be made. It depends on the quantity of pre-orders. I'll likely have a 3rd party make them for quality sake. There's quite a few companies that will print stuff for you.

I haven't planned out much of the details of the different merch I want to sell because I simply can't do it until Uber sets up licensing. It will happen, just not yet.
  9. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Well, keep me in mind during your quoting process :D
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

3D printing holds a lot of promise but so far the consumer-grade stuff isn't really there in terms of quality to meet my standards yet, to the point where I've heavily considered into investing in a small Injection Molding set-up instead.

How large is the Salem?

Mike
  11. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

It's about 8L X 3W X 3H

You'd be surprised what a little sanding, buffing, and airbrushing can do to hide the stepping.

http://artforcestudios.com/wp/gallery/

The sphinx looks and feels like real plastic out of plastic injection molding.
    RMJ likes this.
  12. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I have successfully sliced a .papa into something my printer will read.

It's only a matter of time now.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Do the leviathan. :D

And do it soon, next patch they'll make it look less awesome (and cause issues for modders).
  14. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Which .papa file is that?

Thanks

I take it that is the battleship.papa

Typical unconnceted cannons that plagued me with the SupCom ship XD

O well, makes it easier to pose them.

Now... How to pose the cannons

(I will also take the liberty to flatten the bottom so it doesn't roll around on my desk hahaha

[​IMG]
    Last edited: July 1, 2014
  15. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

for a friend: can you make a brad nicholson action figure?
  16. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Id love to have a 3D printed model of a unit I made for SupCom:FA ;-)

But I dunno if it will be able to stand under its own weight XD
  17. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

If you get me the file, yes
  18. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I can add a base to it
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No doubt, but that means 3D printing is a huge time investment and the more complex of object your doing the more time it takes.

If I only needed one of something that might be fine, but 10, 20, 100? Not worth it really. The Consumer grade stuff just isn't quite there yet.

Mike
  20. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

We have looked at making acrylic molds from printed parts, and this is definitely an option for mass production.

Using the printed pieces as positives is much easier, at least for me, than making clay, foam, or wood positives.