Can you see why he is saying this?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Trisdino, June 29, 2014.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Hurray for putting retailers ahead of customers!
    bradaz85 and vyolin like this.
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well if you think about it, it's partially the same with many games. Basically any game that has an update post release, because you can't rewrite retail discs.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

But their disks usually work is my only complaint :)

This disc, in the future if you install it to a computer it doesn't work. Some other game, you have the disk and install it then you have a copy that you really wish had that WHATEVER that was in a post release update. Like Black Ops 2, you can play AI but you will miss that Peacekeeper that you used to use.
  5. DeadStretch

Well if your concern is for the future of the disc I wouldn't buy the 'Online Connection Needed' edition.
    EdWood likes this.
  6. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

So, I take it PA is now finally fit for review? Because this seems be to about as proper a release as we will ever get. Bring on the reviews, I say.
  7. DeadStretch

Well, the game on Steam (and Amazon) has had reviews up for awhile now.
  8. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

I am talking proper reviews here, not personal opinions on a beta monetised to high heaven.
  9. DeadStretch

What's a proper review? I don't follow.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Word of mouth is worth more then a review.
  11. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

I'm guessing the kind where the bias of the Reviewer will reflect how "good" they think the game is, or the gaming sites that are paid to give good reviews. I mean, Call of Duty must be totally mind blowing to always get such high marks, while people who know nothing about Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation will hate on the game for it's "blocky art and difficult AI".
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

A proper review is a fair and honest personal judgement of a released game. Before a proper release there cannot be such a thing, owing to the ephemeral nature of a product still in development, but only mere opinions.
    There is no word from Uber on any sort of release proper, in fact their previous comments on the subject matter indicated that there will be no such thing. So I took the liberty to assume the factual release might coincide with the sale of a boxed version. Which has now arrived. Which brings us back to proper reviews.
  13. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

As we've made clear a bunch of times, we'll release when the game is done. We're getting closer by the day, but there's no sense in stating a specific, iron-locked date until we know for sure.
    lokiCML, Nicb1, squishypon3 and 5 others like this.
  14. DeadStretch

How is that different or special than any other review?
  15. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

This thread is beyond saving and must be allowed to die.
  16. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Up until this point PA has not been released. Just in case you did not notice.
  17. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

This thread COULD be worse.

MUCH worse.
    Geers and stuart98 like this.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am pretty sure there are laws that clearly state outright lies are forbidden. Though the truth is a quite flexible thing sometimes.
    From what I understand TB is more going on about "writing early access on the box is not enough, people are too stupid to realize what that means". That has not much to do with writing lies on the box and the part of the PA box we know is not lieing at all anyway.
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

No, early access is by definition before release. Where as release, is where they kick the server out the door, and release it, and whether promising updates or not it is for people to buy as is.
    I have seen "betas monetized more", but I haven't seen ANY "monetized to high heaven". Have any beta's been monetized to the point where they make the production costs of AAA titles yet? I doubt even that.

Well, I take the liberty of assuming the factual release will coincide with the release of the standalone server client version of the game.

I am pretty sure Brad just agreed. Does he count as Uber? Or do you ignore him and keep on thinking "box sale means I review".
  20. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

Star Citizen. ;)