Can you see why he is saying this?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Trisdino, June 29, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Source?

Mike
  2. trialq

trialq Post Master General

DeadStretch likes this.
  3. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Seeing a couple of different posts with varying levels of venom regarding our stance on this. On June 20, we announced this version of the game alongside Nordic. There's a couple of reasons why we decided to go with this version of the title.

• Some folks don't like paying for things with credit cards, but want the Early Access experience. This gives them a good way to get in on the ground floor while paying with their preferred method.
    • Some folks also like boxed copies. They like the brick-and-mortar experience where you walk out of the store with a box in hand.
    • As Jon mentioned in the GI article, we have an experimental attitude over here. The landscape of digital games, early access, and PC gaming are all changing. and we're actively trying to innovate. We're offering the same game, just earlier. Think of it like a playable pre-order.
    Does that clear it up?
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

And I remember hearing that you didn't want to ruin your deal with Nordic games as well (From one of the devs, I can't find the post, because I don't remember who said it), can you confirm that?
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Hmm, someone asked if the physical copy gets a physical copy of the game, like a disc.

Someone else asked if they get the gamma commander since they are in early access at the gamma level.

Someone else asked if the wording used to sell the game is correct, the nordic amazon sell page says Subs and GW Multiplayer, thats their business but that isn't the highest accuracy is it?
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I don't think that's all that important from a consumer point of view. Uber's contract with Nordic is their own private business, really; we can speculate (as I have) but they're under no obligation to reveal anything like that to us.
  7. BradNicholson

I think you're referring to the exclusive Commander thread where Adam talked about how we wanted to make sure that the early access box offered something to sweeten the deal for retailers.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I guess people are just too health-conscious for plain ol' sugar these days huh?
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Here's all the info - https://forums.uberent.com/threads/information-on-physical-nordic-early-access-edition.61503/
  10. squishypon3

Possibly, it said something about "Uber didn't want to devalue their deal", because you possibly pitched a release date and didn't make it, and so to keep the deal going either you (Uber) or Nordic games suggested an early access version. Thus keeping the publisher happy, and the deal on.
  11. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

No it does not clear anything, and i can write hole a very long post about the why's and negative effects. But you are already experiencing the negative effects due to bad publicity.

But the decision has made, altho the explanation is still very shallow and are not the biggest and main reasons.

I just can't understand why, even with your explanation but ill accept that as my problem ^^
  12. squishypon3

There's no such thing as bad publicity. ;)
    calmesepai likes this.
  13. DeadStretch

Just imagine the reactions when the game gets it's 1.0 release and you see both boxed editions on the shelf next to each other. :rolleyes:
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. squishypon3

I assume early access addition should either:

1: Be out of stock by then.
    2: Be discontinued by then.

If they sell an early access version... after release... That'd just be silly. XD
  15. Geers

New Picture.jpg
    bradaz85 likes this.
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I can pretty much guarantee you somebody will buy both copies thinking they need to pay for the full version too. Just look at how many kickstarter backers still haven't done a quick internet search or looked in their email to find out they were allowed to play back in the fall. The kickstarter page comments are mostly still from angry backers that want to know why they aren't allowed to play.

People don't read. :p
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. BradNicholson

I actually just mentioned the biggest and main reasons, my man. Sorry you don't like them. But, really, is it that hard to believe there are other people out there just as into playing Planetary Annihilation in Early Access as all of us here are?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This is my only complaint. That disk is the game only in very loose technicality. The disc's game version is pretty much useless. It can't play or install the game from that disc, quick access to the launcher would be the only good thing it is for.

I would go out of my way, after release, to update my case's copy with the release server and client copy, and put the disk art onto the new disk. At least the disc would be useful :)

In the future, Nordic and other companies thinking of using this business model, and I DO RECOMMEND THIS BUSINESS MODEL BE USED AGAIN, should sell the box without the disk and make sure the buyer knows it is technically a preorder with early access, as well as inform them the case has no disk right now and that upon release the disk is available to pick up from the same store for free if they bring their reciept.
    Last edited: June 30, 2014
    bradaz85 and cptconundrum like this.
  19. DeadStretch

And yet I still eat KFC. :cool:
    squishypon3 and thetrophysystem like this.
  20. Geers

I don't. There's been too many stories of that nature.