Can you see why he is saying this?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Trisdino, June 29, 2014.

1. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

I'm not offended by it at all. I would, however like to know why they did it. AFAIK they didn't have a release date set with nordic so they didn't have to do it. That only leaves publicity, but I'm sure they knew it would be bad publicity.

It doesn't matter if you agree with him or not. It's first opinions that sell games and if he had a bad one, chances are a lot of people will as well. Not to mention the fact that he has the power to bring a lot of new players to PA (or keep them away).
    paulusss likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yay, White Knights.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Are you saying he lies about things? He informs people of his opinion on games and in addition he regularly reminds people that his reviews are based on his opinion(and are "First Impressions" more so than anything else) and people should decide up front if his views are aligned with the viewer and if they don't align they shouldn't be surprised if viewers disagree with him of thier opinions don't align in any way.

EDIT: For clarity, I will say that I do feel that TB's views mostly align with mine.

Mike
    vyolin, nanolathe and aevs like this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

money is the culprit here. In the best of worlds PA would be awaited and wanted by all.... In the world we live in : RTSes have got no hope for a future if they ain't called starcaft.

So kickstarter was a must as well as the pricing and selling the commanders too.

There's no Pay2Win system and no Pay2Play (praise the lord for both!) but that means the money's gotta roll in somewhere else.

if it had thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions more clients, it would cost less.

But it has a playerbase of maybe 50 thousand. :/

it's up to us to spread the word and the love for TA-likes if we want to have more players E.G. lower prices.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

No, absolutely seriously. The question in perspective is, do people actually make their own opinion, or if a pop culture opinion tweeted for a mass suicide at a certain time tomorrow, no matter how fast twitter removed it, would 2m people commit mass murder in following of it? Serious question, crazier things have happened, helter skelter?
    Exactly, my question is, do people actually take it as an opinion, or do 2.1m people make up their mind automatically based off a single man's tweet? Totalbiscuit is against people blindly following, that's why he is a personality I respect, but do you think in light of this would people blindly follow down the path against this?
    Zblub likes this.
  6. squishypon3

Actually they did, to a point, they told Nordic games when the game /should/ be finished. That was the whole reason for the early access physical, they didn't want to devalue the deal so that Nordic would break away from it, and so they released that to keep Nordic Games happy and save their marketing deal!
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Im not sure what joke angle you went for, neck-beard or templar?....................or.....both?
  8. squishypon3

No, no! I didn't mean that at all, sorry if it came off as such! I just.. I really want to see this game do well, you know? I won't say someone's opinion is wrong, or that he shouldn't be able to express it, it just saddens me that it could really sway a lot of people away from what is a really good game imo.
  9. KNight

So your idea then is that, instead of doing something to try and make the game itself better, you should tell people to not listen to legitimate critiques on the game?

If you want the Game to do well, focus your effort on making the game better, not trying to (technically) censor opinions that you don't like.

Mike
    Last edited: June 30, 2014
    mot9001 and igncom1 like this.
  10. squishypon3

I'm not sure how it could really improve the game as this isn't based on gameplay or anything, this is just on it's marketing. :p
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

That is exactly it. The hype here, is that it could sway a lot of people. I don't think it should sway a lot of people, if it swayed a lot of people for a formulated reason okay, but if it sways nearly all the friggin people and because, and I quote, "man cmon, totalbiscuit has a good point, early physical release sales are bad because they aren't normal, and its bad to not be that way because he said, so thats why early physical release is bad".

I ask "what are the pros and cons". They respond "well the pros aren't the pros of a regular game release, and the cons are new things we don't know about. I mean, I am pretty sure totalbiscuit knows what he is talking about".

And... you see the arguement? There is no arguement, there is "faith", a belief in the words of another respected entity.

That is a serious question too. What exactly are the cons of early release? People have put cash on a reserve copy of every call of duty since modern warfare 1. I even have. That is the "con" of what you are doing here, technically with perks you wouldn't normally have and technically at an equivalent price. That is my arguement anyway.
    Zblub and popededi like this.
  12. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Marketing important? WHY?!?! Less money - less game....
  13. KNight

So you're saying that Uber's "hype" is "right" while TB's opinion on that "hype" is "wrong"?

Mike
    vyolin and igncom1 like this.
  14. elodea

elodea Post Master General

For reference

15. squishypon3

Well yes, but it's already been done, they can't really back track on it unless they recall the whole game line up (Which I doubt Nordic games would be too happy about/would allow)
  16. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

The end of the day backers have already made up their minds. Personally when I buy a game I'll look at multiple resources. Multiple reviews. If others do the same they will be able to make a well informed decision.

Cheers,

-Todd
    squishypon3 and igncom1 like this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This is just ludicrous. Uber are a company- they have a right to make money off the excellent and huge amount of hard work they've put in.

I can't see an issue- the commander skins do not affect game play in any way shape or form. They are just a 'nice to have' and I can fully understand wanting to give *something* away with a boxed early access game as the game *isn't finished yet* so it's to sweeten the deal.

For some reason people think that if the developers launch via kickstarter the company should act like a charity or be chastised for it?! I personally think what Uber are doing is fair, reasonable and necessary for them to build a lasting company rather than the old 'boom then bust' studios of old that are all but gone.

For those saying that they are 'as bad as a big publisher' type comments lets look at what they're offering again shall we:

PA is open to modding. All files are provided with the game and are not locked or hidden.
    PA is multi-platform (most big studios don't give a stuff about Mac or Linux)
    PA will be DRM free on full release for offline play at home (this is a big one- one licence for a lan party).
    PA will be supported after release.

Now if Uber were to U turn on the above I think we might have reason to complain- but they haven't, nor have they suggested they're thinking about doing so.
    FSN1977 and squishypon3 like this.
  18. KNight

These too(probably);

Mike
  19. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

This stuff works like this, it's plain and simple

You only got a white watch and EVERYONE wears a white watch.
    Now a new model comes out that is black and everyone is like WTF we only had white watches everyone wears white watched and i don't wanna be different so i keep my white watch. And if influential people also say the black watch is gay, so many people will NOT buy that watch. People are centainly effected by other people's opinions especially if they have them in high regard.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I just really hope that box is a lot more clear than the steam store about needing to connect to a remote server to play. People have a reasonable expectation that single player is offline and it would be irresponsible to the point here I might call it fraud if they are intentionally leaving this out or in the fine print. I know the early access box is functionally the same as buying online, but in practice there is a big difference; the type of person that buys pc games at walmart likely has no idea what early access is and they won't share the mutual understanding we have that you should do your research before buying an early access game. The convention that a box in the store is a finished product is not an easy one to break. I'm also expecting a lot of people to try it, discover that it doesn't run on their pc, and try to return it. Only you can't return this once the key has been entered in the game because that dvd doesn't really do anything for you after the initial install. How do you return a physical retail copy to the store that is legally requred to accept returns in many places?
    Last edited: June 30, 2014
    mot9001, bradaz85 and drewsuser like this.