Can you see why he is saying this?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Trisdino, June 29, 2014.

1. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to judge what they're doing, just thinking about a possible explanation. Marketing always is difficult, so is selling your product (I know, I do that for a living), so I can't fault people for trying different approaches. Not all work. Not all will please your customer. But sometimes, doing something new/and or unpopular can pay out.
  2. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

while I do (partly, my opinion is more complex) agree about the preoder bonuses, ever since minecraft the early access mentality has gripped the industry, and there's no going back from that.

Thing is preorder bonuses without any tangible game play available till release is a very different from the preorder that's being given while gameplay footage is widely available from the product while it is being developed.

(Although the boxed edition before finished game is somewhat weird, I don't begrudge uber for doing it. Since there is no misadvertising, and especially as the game is on early access anyway)
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Maybe if this stuff was "uncharted territory" I could agree with you, but Pre-Orders and Pre-Order Exclusives aren't new anymore.

Mike
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They have already given a legitimate reason though, they didn't want to screw up their deal with Nordic games. If that means releasing an early access physical edition, I'm fine with that! In fact, I don't see the real wrongness behind it, what makes it so special compared to the version you buy online? If anything it's more worth it for your money as it comes with a box and a special commander! It's like a preorder you get months before the game release.

Oh and with people complaining about the fact "Well because it's physical it should contain the complete game, as otherwise you'll need to download the rest of the game since it's not complete" AND? What is the issue with this? If you have issue with that, you should have issues with any game that's still updating! Because it's still the same exact premiss, you have a game that's not *technically* complete in both situations and in both situations you download more of the game through patches. Same deal with DLC.
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  5. KNight

I don't think you understand the actual issue here as I do....

Mike
  6. squishypon3

Care to explain?
  7. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Well i warned Uber about this kind of approach, and i'm not saying that i'm right and it will not pay off in the end.

But the first thrown spear hit the chest right in the middle, i only hope it will not rile up more people to do the same thing.

I can't think of a reason why they didn't take the save approach, and go experiment with this stuff. It's not like there a big developer with loads off money to try these kind of things.
  8. aevs

aevs Post Master General

This is not the first tweet TB's made about the early access boxed edition IIRC.
    And for those wondering; I'm pretty sure TB is against early access that doesn't advertise itself explicitly as something you should not buy unless you have educated yourself on it, absolutely want to support the development and are fine with the associated risks. He actually covered PA in one of his steam sale videos recently (skip to 6:42):

Having a boxed 'limited edition' with bonuses as enticement, while in early access... was bound to get on the guy's nerves. Do I agree with him? Not exactly, given the state of PA and its development there isn't really consumer risk at all. ;)
    But think about if some other game, in a presumably unfinished state with very real consumer risk, did something similar. I could see how in some instances this would be questionable, and I can see why people might worry about this becoming common practice, and the possibility of shady/shoddy developers exploiting it.
    On steam I don't have much of a problem with early access because user reviews, media and discussions are readily available. It's easy to educate yourself there. On a store shelf... well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    improvised1 likes this.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I said it many times. You sell an early copy, as a "reserve copy" like every call of duty ever, with a beta access before release, and as a physical copy later and a digital copy now, just without the online credit card purchase which isn't always possible in EU countries.

Really, I don't see either why anyone would take this non-offensive business decision, as a personal slap in the face by Neutrino himself. They are just trying to package many sales sources, business wise. Users are getting upset that it isn't AAA standard release, or about extra cosmetic dlc.

Sadly, I could have swore Kickstarter even said that it would avoid straight up pay to patch dlc, but would opt to do some form of cosmetic dlc. At least it said for a while, like people discussed commander hats.

Totalbiscuit and Tobuscus both strike me as annoying in action, yet they are some colorful and tasteful personalities. That really is what splits me about this. I don't think totalbiscuit has a great history about Uber as is, maybe it is the thing in whole that he doesn't like, how Uber always uses this business model that bothers him. I personally don't mind this business model, there isn't really anything wrong with pay to pretty.
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

the thing is, its pissed off TB, who in my opinion has the largest following who was interested in this game. wonder what his opinion in his next little comment/video for PA will be
  11. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Something like this has already happened, but in a released state. Think Battlefield Four:rolleyes:
  12. KNight

Not really, I think the thread speaks for itself already.

Mike
  13. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

To me it just reads like he's over reacted with a knee jerk response. Which is a shame given his influence. None of us have full exposure to ubers business model/decisions. Jumping to conclusions without all the facts with angry posts just looks childish.

Cheers,

-Todd
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. squishypon3

It sucks because they're getting a bad view of the game, which means TB could be ruining it. :( (To a point)
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

A boxed early access addition is weird, but no more weird then a digital early access addition.
    drewsuser and squishypon3 like this.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

What I don't get, is how a single man's opinion can be a "mass overreaction".

Kickstarter. Kickstarter makes a new game system. Kickstarter good? Everyone know kickstarter. Everyone do kickstarter. Everyone no think ahead.

Kickstarter. Kickstarter products fall through. Kickstarter bad? Everyone know avoid kickstarter. Everyone avoid kickstarter. Kickstarter dies and nothing in it gets done anymore. Everyone no think ahead.

It's scary to think, what if Kim Kardashian, Totalbiscuit, Tobuscus, and other "truely large following pop culture leaders", were really electronically controlled personas of a secret controlling society? Everyone is spoonfed opinion, while people lead a bread trail of opinion, all because nobody makes a unique opinion, and nobody follows an opinion conflicting with a "leading opinion".

I may not be a leading opinion, or have a large following, but I have voiced my opinion, and I simply respectfully disagree with the leading opinion. Watch 2.1m people ignore me though: "A boxed early edition being a "reserve copy" with "early access" ...what a crazy excuse, how can totalbiscuit be wrong?"
    popededi and drewsuser like this.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

This is Absolutely incorrect, and a horrible analogy.
    Post-launch patches can add content to an otherwise complete game. TF2 was a complete and functional game in 2007; it was sold as a complete game. The console version was complete, and has not been updated since (to my knowledge).
    The computer version has received many updates expanding on the original game, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a complete product.
    A truly unfinished product that receives promised or required patches at a later date, such as this:
    is not comparable.

Now I'm not going to argue that a packaged product needs to be complete (although I do believe the current capabilities and requirements [no LAN, etc] need to be specified alongside the promised features on the box, not sure if that's the case here but it might be), but I felt the need to refute your point because it's unreasonable.
  18. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Does it Matter?
  19. squishypon3

*GASPS* THE ILLUMINATI!

Seriously though Trohpy? XD
    PeggleFrank and thetrophysystem like this.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well I wouldn't over-blow the anti-media hero circle jerk.

People like hearing the opinions and ideas of people they admire, it's just that in this century they aren't trying to cull the holy land.