Add To Control Group

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by adamanthil, June 25, 2014.

1. adamanthil

adamanthil New Member

Hi All!

I'm an early backer, but I didn't have much opportunity to play in the alpha and beta. I have been enjoying getting to know the game a little now since the Galactic War updates. I've been quite enjoying it, however, something I've really missed when compared to other RTS games (e.g. SC2) is an "add to control group" hotkey.

The "add to control group" hotkey (e.g. Shift + number) would leave the existing group in tact, but add additional units to it. This would be particularly useful when you are trying to constantly reinforce existing armies that are in combat. You could select units as they are being built and hit shift + number to add them to the existing army. That way you can continue to issue commands to the army and all reinforcements will follow them. Particularly given the scope of PA and the streaming economy, it seems like it would be a great addition.

Right now I find myself building a large army and attacking while another builds back at the base, since it is hard to control reinforcements. This makes it more difficult to keep constant pressure on the enemy.

Does functionality like this exist that I don't know about? Curious if others would find this useful as well. I think it would be a great improvement for controlling massive armies.
    Mooninaut and PeggleFrank like this.
  2. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I find myself trying to shift add selections aswell... as if I'm using photoshop or something LOL
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

well, You can just hit the number representing the group you want to add to, then shift-select the group you want to add, then hit ctrl-(num) to make them all one group, but I can see how that might be a bit annoying. Apparently (never tried it myself, could be wrong on this), if you control-group a factory (or group of factories) the units that come out are the ones control-grouped to that group. (again, might be totally wrong on this)
    corteks and adamanthil like this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Are you sure? Total Annihilation had that but I don't think it's in PA.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Does the "(might be totally wrong about this)" that I said twice make me sound sure? :p

But yeah, I can see myself misreading something on the same topic and thinking it was PA instead of TA. Still, who knows? Might be worth a test.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Haha, I don't know how I ended up writing it like that. I guess I meant to say something like "I'm not sure." but after the number of threads on the steam forum I've been responding to over the last couple days, my brain is a little dead. :oops:

I wonder is we can mod this in if it isn't in the game yet.
  7. adamanthil

adamanthil New Member

Yeah I was wondering about modding as well. Seems like an easy enough thing. Though if it makes sense to include in the core game even better!
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

not before factory assisting other factory uses assisted factory's build orders.

set one factory up, set it to build tank stinger flamer, infinite, then 20 other factories set to assist.
    Engineer1234 likes this.