Steam Summer Sale 2014

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, June 20, 2014.

1. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

What? I just gave my opinion on the event along with a couple of recommendations, although people won't probably even read my posts because I have so little likes :^)
    phantomtom and thetrophysystem like this.
  2. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

point him to a better thread to share his thoughts on Steam Summer Sale 2014, else you're just trollbaiting
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

"Well there hasn't been any interesting releases since like Mass Effect 3" - m'kay, enjoy your enjoyment in this thread. I'll leave your enjoyment be, as you're evidently not baiting.

@knickles, sorry for calling the guy out. I realise this isn't allowed or at all tolerated because all hail insightful one-liners about game quality.
  4. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Called out? He said it was a boring sale and I'd mostly agree. Near everything on the list has been on sale 2-3 times before...

He gave his opinion on some games. Invoking the all-holy "yeah, no" doesn't really change that.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Might get DayZ if it gets a proper discount.
  6. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Please don't spend all your money to get trading cards to get random worthless summer trading card items k thx.
  7. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Even this 15% discount was against Rocket's will. It will not go below the current price.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  8. Geers

Wow. Bloody Kiwis. We should invade 'em.
  9. infinitycanvas

I mean it's their right to not want their game discounted. Selling it cheap now will hurt later sales, especially later when it gets featured - which it will - when it's out of Early Access and released.
  10. Geers

It doesn't have to be a "99% omg all stock must go" type deal. But there's a difference between a worthwhile discount and giving a discount so insignificant that its primary function is to make the game look more attractive because of the green discount sticker.

I'd buy DayZ for $15. I think that's fair.
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I couldn't resist Payday 2 for $5.99.
  12. Geers

I stopped playing for a long time because it was too much of a grind. I've come back now and it's much better. Somehow I already have over 50 hours. If you haven't already, get the DLC. It's overpriced when not on sale but if you get it now the content is very useful.

Also don't be afraid of higher difficulties. They aren't that bad with a good team. Find some people doing the bank heist (not Big Bank) on high difficulties and stealthing it. That'll kick you up a few levels pretty quick.
  13. Geers

Hmmm... Should I get Stanley Parable while it's $7.00? Will it be cheaper later? Hmm......
  14. infinitycanvas

The point is that it's going to get discounted at release anyway, as most big new releases are, and at that point the game will be out of Early Access and, ya know, an actual game. Early Access probably does more to kill people's interest in a game than it does to get them excited about it. SMNC is a pretty good example.
  15. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Stanley Parable is pretty damn good if you're into Narrative-focussed experiences. Sorta like Dear Esther with a personality and a sort of gameplay element in "choice"
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I put a few things on wishlist, just for hopefulness.
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Batman Arkham Origins is my last buy in the sale. I don't want anything else really. Though I was (am) really close to buying Stick it to The Man! and Teslagrad on sale. Stick it to The Man! is really up there on my buy list. I have heard many good thing about the game.
    Last edited: June 22, 2014
  18. infinitycanvas

Stick It is very short but it's pretty good. It's pretty much Psychonauts.
  19. Geers

It's not a question of whether I want it or not. It's a question of whether it'll be cheaper later on or not.
  20. infinitycanvas

Stanley is a really good deconstruction of the concept of "choice" in games, and how everything you could possibly do is neither original or unique, except in something like Minecraft (which it actually brings up). It also deals with ludonarrative dissonance, and how story just kinda doesn't work in games. The only poor thing I could say about it is that you don't really need to play it, and that you can get the whole gist by watching a let's play (preferably a non commentated one). Though that may also be part of the point, too.