KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Wow, that is awesome :) I cant wait to get my hands on it <3

If only I was so lucky with my commander designs >-<
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I believe that Knight is currently undecided on whether to offer his Commander for purchase in the Armoury.
  3. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

@KNight I believe earlier in this thread replied to me that he would. Unless he changed his mind.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Speaking to him 2 days ago on TeamSpeak leads me to believe that he is still undecided.
    :p
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's certainly a possible outcome, but if you go back in the thread I did post a few rather lengthy posts on the subject. ;p

Mike
  6. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I think you commander would be the only one I'd actually spend money on. That said, If you don't want to make it available, that is totally your call.
    Planktum likes this.
  7. KNight

Well it's like I said in my big posts, it depends on a lot of unknown factors so I can't really make any new comments that I haven't already made anyways, right now it's a bit of a waiting game in the end! xD

Mike
  8. KNight

9. KNight

So I've got a dilemma, see I really like my Tyrant, like a lot, to the point where I think it's one of my Top 3 strongest designs overall even considering the constraints I had to work under, but unfortunately now Uber has contacted me to start the process I'm not entirely happy with the terms presented.

In short, I think the Tyrant has much larger potential beyond the Armory.

I'm not sure what I should do here but I do know it would be very selfish to make that decision myself when the whole this that was in large part being done for the community at large.

So in the meantime, lets assume I have the capability to still make the Tyrant (modified in small and large ways compared to what it is now) to the community, it would still have a cost associated to it and that cost would likely be higher than what it would be on the Armory but assume the value you would potentially get out of it to be much high and equitable to what is actually being payed, which alternate option would you like to see most or share your own ideas!

These are the obvious options that come to me off the top of my head feel free to comment on them or contribute your on ideas.

I could revisit my "Pathfinder" commander, get a rough draft on that and had it off as inspiration rather than a model.

Come up with some other inspiration(Leaning towards a Samurai/Deathscythe Hell mash-up)

Go ahead with the Tyrant anyways(but loosing out on any future potential)

Not submit a Commander at all as a statement. (I am considering this for reasons I do not want to mention in this thread, if you are curious you can each me via PM or means outside the forum)

I know this feels a bit heavy but like I said, this was always a "Community" project to me in a lot of ways and didn't want to make a decision without at least talking to you guys first so let me know what you think.

Mike
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm not really sure I understand the issue? If it's not something you can freely discuss in the forum feel free to PM me....?
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Ya, what did they say about your commander? O-o
  12. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Unleash the Kraken Tyrant !

All jokes aside, I didn't clearly understand this part :

Aren't commanders supposed to be "only" skins ?
  13. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Considering the timing of your post I can assume that Uber offered you to have that guy in Human Resources as a leader (or maybe just one of the strongest units) of the machine faction. If that's the case - go for it! I will be happy to see him there.
    Would be nice to have him in the Armory later down the line, but it's not necessary. Pathfinder will look nice as a replacement for the time being.
  14. KNight

The issue is that if the Tyrant goes into the Armory that is the only place it will ever be effectively forever, it's not entirely unreasonable for Uber to ask for that and it's less of an issue if at all if you're not providing the actual design and just providing inspiration, but for me having gone to teh extent that I have it presents much more of an issue.

This isn't about the design itself, rather just the usual terms and agreements one should expect in a scenario such as this.

Commanders are only skins, but the potential I discuss here is not directly related to Uber or PA at all. Do note that if the Tyrant does stay out of the Armory I would probably look into making it available as a mod at some point but I will admit that it's not a high priority for me right now.

No, Uber's opinion of me is that I'm too toxic so they would be in pretty dire straights to come to me like that after the things said and actions taken by them. But not more on that topic for now.

Mike
  15. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Hey ,Knight:
    Just wanted to say thanks for involving us in a decision like this.

My opinion is that if you want to make use of the Tyrant for other projects and Uber does not want to allow it, I say go ahead and start another model. (Just make sure to give us the Tyrant in a mod later :) ). It's really your decision in the end. If you feel like putting another model in the armoury in place of the Tyrant I will personally have no issues with it. You make some awesome models so you should contribute one to the armoury.
    Since you backed at $1000 having a small cut of the purchases and just having your model out there displayed officially is something you should take advantage of.

Again the decision is entirely up to you, but there was my input anyway.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Uber thinks everyone is toxic, except for themselves that is. They can do no wrong.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I wouldn't say that the entirety of Uber is like that, but there are a few who seem to believe that anyone who doesn't agree with Uber's decisions are toxic. (I've seen a few community members like this too that shout about how toxic the community is becoming for not giving glorious praise to Uber 24/7)

Ah well this is offtopic, thus I won't discuss it further unless KNight ends up discussing it as well at some point.
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. KNight

Sorry guys, don't have the time right now but remember, for the sake of the thread and the community driven project it embodies we do need to keep it on track.

Mike
  19. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Okay, that's not the case then... But still, if you have better ideas on what to do with him, do it. He earned it.

P.S. I prefer the term "grumpy".
    vyolin likes this.
  20. KNight

So while not a lot of people have commented(but about as many as I had expected honestly) the general trend from those that have seems to be that Tyrant would be best used to the fullest extent of it's potential, which as I've said before, is something I certainly agree with as well so at least for the mean time we can move forward with that idea and leave it off to the side and "out of the running as it were in terms of being my Custom Commander.

Of course I can't promise or guarantee anything regarding the future of the Tyrant, I am trying a couple things here and there and while I can't really talk about it right now I do want to figure out a way to get in touch with those who might be interested in what happens to the Tyrant, so if anything has any thoughts on that hit me up with a PM.

In the mean time that does leave us with the questions of where do we go from here, to list the basic options again;

I could revisit my "Pathfinder" commander, get a rough draft on that and had it off as inspiration rather than a model.

Come up with some other inspiration(Leaning towards a Samurai/Deathscythe Hell mash-up)

Not submit a Commander at all as a statement.

If anyone has other ideas or wants more details about the options list above feel free to let me know.

Mike