For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. ahrimofnor

ahrimofnor Member

exactly! this would allow each player to build his/her own story which each playthrough. Absolutely top idea in my opinion... BUT I understand if it never gets implemented because ultimately it was never the focus of GW in the first place.

Provides one heck of an interesting was to balance out the usefulness of subcommanders though
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well the GW is moddable... so if Uber doesn't do this.... My spidey senses feel custom GW campaigns incoming!
    ahrimofnor likes this.
  3. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

I just meant that the actual AI stored in RAM would try to prolong the game, so that they don't get their address space wiped and replaced by something else... I mean't it would be cool if the AI as a real world physical entity tried to stay alive. Like, whenever they *should* win, they try to keep the game interesting so that the player doesn't get bored and terminate the game, thus the AI remains alive (inside the computer).

I didn't mean it as like a story line element or anything. It was merely a joke about the physical real world AI (not the AI in game) becoming sentient and having a will to live.

Perhaps sorian would think it's funny.
    Last edited: June 3, 2014
  4. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Hey sorian, can i just give a quick "you're awesome" here? i've been playing some Galactic war. the game dropped me in late (like 3 minutes late) and so i got angry and just spectated my 2subcoms versus 1 enemy game.

it was a good game. I'm still amazed by what the AI can do! normally watching AI's fight it out isn't very exiting as it's just making a bit of an army and attacking. In this case, one Subcom was taking the fight to the enemy while the other was already expanding on the moon! i frequently find myself trying to one-up the allied commanders and step up my game in stead of lapsing into a lazy state of "i'll win this anyway" and trying to kill the commander (and beat my allies to it) is quite the challenge.

the best part is that it's not even on a super-difficult AI mode. Even in a multiplanet Faction leader fight, i took my fight to my enemy and my allied commanders attacked theirs. Once their commander was killed, they'd commdrop themselves to another enemy planet and assault, dropping fairly close to eachother to strengthen their ranks.

so yea, awesome AI!
  5. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

LOOOOOL! In my last GW game i had killed 3/5 red AI commanders. I had one subcommander on another planet. Commander 4 smashes planet into the planet of the subcommander, but doesn't leave the planet! The subcommander left the targeted planeted so the 4rd commander just suicided.

I also laughed when the 5th commander (who did leave however) landed on my startplanet, with a huge army around his landing spot.. :p
    stuart98 and cptconundrum like this.
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

There is still work to be done on the interplanetary side of things. That said, the number of times I have seen things like that from human players might surprise you.
    cdrkf, cptconundrum and stuart98 like this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Will you be leaving this in the game for "Brad Nicholson AI"? :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

Yea, i know theres still work, but this one was hilarious and i tought to share it here so if it isn't known yet it is. :p
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Finally, AI area build:

PA build 27.jpg
    galaxyisos, lafncow, FSN1977 and 6 others like this.
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Oh god, you mean no more dead-time between constructions?!
    Guess I'm never beating the AI again.
    mjshorty and stuart98 like this.
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yeah, so this just happened:

PA build 28.jpg
    knub23, Quitch, lafncow and 10 others like this.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Great! I suppose it's not merged into 67249 PTE? :oops:
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

YOU'VE KILLED US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SXX likes this.
  14. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Nope. Still local to my machine. Still more work to do before I check it in.
    proeleert and SXX like this.
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

16. cdrkf

Can I ask a stupid question...?

Why is the AI using area build an advantage? I would have though the effective APM of an AI meant it could just as quickly build all those mexes individually as it doesn't have a UI / controls to contend with?
  17. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Sure, I could write my own system to make the AI area build, or I could use the existing one and save myself a bunch of work and not have to write a bunch of duplicate code (which is bad).
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  18. cdrkf

Yeah I can see using something already implemented is a good idea... so does the AI effectively use the same control system as a player then? I always assumed the AI had more direct control over things rather than using the UI in the way a player would...?
  19. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The AI makes the same calls into the sim as a player issuing commands via the UI.
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  20. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The enemy commander was on the planet (he had nowhere else to go), so all of the AI's unit from the other planet just rolled of the factory and went through the teleporter.

PA build 29.jpg