[WIP] Total (automated) Annihilation

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Raevn, June 19, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I guess they must have, to build the gates, but I don't recall it being specifically mentioned.

To be fair, I was able to re-use a bunch of stuff from SC:TA. I already had a .3do (the TA model format) to .obj converter, so once I knew the .papa format, I just had to make it output to that instead.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

From that link:

"Recent Changes" / "2010"

ಠ_ಠ

What happened after 0.7? You actually had me excited to go and try that out.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

How about releasing them files? :)
  4. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

the Arm and the Core all but have exhausted the resources of the galaxy.... and they will ravage the new universe. This will be the ultimate mod if completed it will be the ultimate uber hack for planetary annihilation. Is there a hack for blender to handle 3do files, been awhile since I have dealth with that format. The 3DO console and Wing Commander a revolution in entertainment.
    http://www.thegameconsole.com/panasonic-3do-interactive/
    :cool:
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Finally get to play with Server mods :)

upload_2014-6-18_21-37-3.png
    genraljoe, elwyn, cdrkf and 9 others like this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

<3
  7. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

raevn i ask of you nay i BAG you to fix the .blend to .papa! please! with that fixed i can continu my WWII unit skin pack!!
  8. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO SPAM FLASHES AND SAMSONS

:D :D :D
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I wonder if the devs fully knew the same old model files, would technically be useable in their new engine?

That ended up pretty future proof. I wouldn't believe I wasn't looking at it.
    optimi likes this.
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

• Lots of progress on the automated blueprint conversion for units, ammo and weapons.
    • Removed the polygon-based muzzle flashes from being converted when the .papa models are generated
    • Fixed up lighting on the units a bit (still not properly calculating normals, but at least the units aren't extremely dark)
    Say hello to ARM T1 vehicles:
    upload_2014-6-23_0-3-28.png

I'm really not sure what the issue is with your models. I don't get the same result when I use the exporter on other models. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?
    stuart98, Jaedrik, optimi and 2 others like this.
  11. stuart98

Basically anything that's rigged cannot be exported.
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

When you say cannot be exported, what do you mean exactly (eg., does the model export incorrectly, or does it cause the game to crash)? I know it doesn't properly export rotated bones, but that is not what is happening for @nuketf.
  13. stuart98

It exports incorrectly. The bones are messed up, and as a result the whole model is due to how the bones are attached.

There're pics throughout the section from about a month ago. If you haven't found them yet I'll link you to 'em in about an hour.
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Models, regardless of format, are mostly just a collection of 3D coordinates. As long as graphics use a polygon-based a approach, extracting this information and converting it into alternate formats will be relatively simple.

If there are bones with any rotation applied to them, then they will cause issues - this is a known bug, caused by my lack of knowledge of 3D math :oops:. The problem nuketf is getting is the model gets inverted - the polygons are all flipped upside down.
  15. stuart98

16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Uber requested that server mods stay relatively small, around ~1MB. So I can only work on 4-5 units at a time. It's pretty annoying, as I have to selectively copy out all the files for those units from the fully built mod.

The good news is, since it's automated, the units will become progressively quicker to implement as I refine the blueprint generation scripts. All I have to do is the manual work for the new units (mainly specifying bones for the weapons and the build menu information), plus anything specifically new to that unit. The CORE T1 vehicles for example will be doable in a matter of minutes, since they are functionally identical.
    elwyn likes this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

*I now feel bad, as our balance mod is at least 5MB up to 16 or so*

Anyway, Raevn, would you still like me to work on the animations for the models? The Peewee's running for example. :p
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/coming-up-soon-server-mods.59738/#post-931451
    ;)

Definitely! I'll whip up the ARM T1 Kbots tonight and send you through the models.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ah yes, but as units were removed from the game, I needed to future proof the mod by places a few of the unit's .papas within their folder, this is because if not they'd have no model. The T1 AA bot and the T2 bomber for example.
  20. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

All the files are still there. I assume they just removed them from the unit list.

I can understand the idea of making a backup, but surely it would be better to keep it as a backup rather then putting it into your mod. It just seems a little silly to waste time loading big files that aren't needed.