My Thoughts on Shields

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by banaman, May 28, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

My thoughts on shields, is that they were used in the mideval times to augment sword combat.
    wbonx likes this.
  2. wbonx

wbonx Member

Following your theory they got banned after renaissance to prevent turtling?
    igncom1, Neumeusis, nehekaras and 2 others like this.
  3. banaman

banaman Member

honestly... if anything I think the reason why so many people are wanting shields... is because defenses are very underpowered (or at least seem that way to me)
    against t1 units, sure, there fairly fine... but what do we have in the form of anti t2 defenses?
    not really anything that I know of... you get even just 10 t2 units and watch them go to town even if the enemy has a row of towers.

not saying to turn this game into a tower defense simulator, but at the same time... you should have a clear way of making your base harder to assault. defenses of any kind vs t2 is a joke.
    this being said, there is a large rebalance happening shortly. so maybe we should see how that goes first?
    until then, it would be helpful to keep on bringing up new ideas for the modders at least... maybe they can make some of the units that got thought up? some of them sounded pretty interesting, like the metal eating shield.

this would imply shields stopped being used after the renaissance era... two words: riot shield.
    there use may have -slightly- changed over the years, but what they do, how the work, what not, is still the same.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  4. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

If we put a riot shield on a vehicle it's usually called armor, and if you make a large stationary row of Riot shields we usually call it a wall. I think both are well accounted for in PA.
  5. wbonx

wbonx Member

Riot shields got modded in later.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

[​IMG]
  7. banaman

banaman Member

not to sound rude but... what? what are you talking about? I was talking about the fact that even today there are shields used in some form. (in response to something that was obviously a joke) idk what your talking about...

as for what I was saying in PA... that has nothing to do with defenses. a row of tanks is a row of tanks.
    I just tried to play a game with a normal ai to see just how well defenses (the advanced kind) do against enemy units, and they did alright but I don't think they ever sent t2. so idk. was gonna watch replay more closely but decided I wanted to report a bit of a bug first instead.
  8. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

Yes but walls don't block things from higher elevations though....unless.... yes...that might work...how about smart levitating walls sections that move up to intercept shots? Too much? Not quite the fancy bubbles where you can see the impacts rippling across the surface like in the sup-com games but adequate, and definitely would look better than walls that can be built in air and orbit....eww. (forget who suggested that but its somewhere in this thread).
  9. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

Im laughing so hard I'm crying right now :D
  10. wbonx

wbonx Member

:D.... i got only 4 likes :/